Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doon Mackichan - My Lady Parts.

Started by Glebe, October 06, 2023, 12:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 08, 2023, 03:34:17 PMSaw GMD on an old Top Of The Pops last week! Clean forgot they even did a record.

I've still got the CD single in a box upstairs. If I recall correctly it was produced by Trevor Horn.

lauraxsynthesis

Quite a brutal story. I've seen other memoirs about the indignities of being a jobbing actor, but the examples here are additionally about the particular horrors of being a woman actor in a patriarchal and misogynist industry. She generally doesn't name people, but it wouldn't take much to figure out who the horrible men are. Grayson Perry was called out for being sleazy and a jerk. Interesting that even here at CaB lots of mens' first response was sleazy misogyny.

I didn't much like the writing style, but I wanted to keep reading and finished it in 3 days. CaBbers may be interested to know that she said she "won't say if Chris Morris is nice or not" and that she's v proud of having fronted Paedogeddon. She talks about the masses of stick she got for that - tabloid harassment, mums at school not speaking with her, a hairdresser refusing an appointment etc.

She does say Baddiel was a cunt and that none of the MWE men spoke with her. Harry Enfield was nice though. She's got lots of positive things to say about woman comics she's worked with: Sally Phillips, Katherine Ryan, Arabella Weir etc. I would have liked a load of stuff about The Comic Strip Presents, but I didn't really expect it. She mentioned Glam Metal Detectives in passing.

I was already a fan but especially wish her well after all she's been through.

bobloblaw

Doon was great in conversation with Craig Charles on 6 the other day. She talked very fondly of playing Jane Plough in particular.

Pink Gregory

She was in the Comic Strip Presents?

I haven't seen the later ones but is that true?

Endicott

Red Nose of Courage
The Crying Game
Detectives on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown
Space Virgins from Planet Sex
Gregory: Diary of a Nutcase
Sex Actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Comic_Strip_Presents..._episodes

Pink Gregory

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: bobloblaw on October 26, 2023, 04:26:04 PMDoon was great in conversation with Craig Charles on 6 the other day. She talked very fondly of playing Jane Plough in particular.

Have listened now, thanks for the tip!

TheAssassin

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 26, 2023, 03:38:01 PMShe does say Baddiel was a cunt and that none of the MWE men spoke with her.

I loved MWE when it was a radio series, even though I didn't manage to hear the earlier ones at the time.  But Doon did make a couple of appearances, and I think I know why she doesn't like Baddiel - at the end credits, Baddiel read the credits and mispronounced her name.

Tags: