Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EDINBURGH FRINGE THREAD 2024

Started by flotemysost, March 28, 2024, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestHill

Trygve Wakenshaw, Tony Law and Mat Ewins all announced in the recent update.

Tom Ballard too. I've not seen him but remember his show last year getting good reviews.

flotemysost

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 06, 2024, 08:32:19 AMMy take on the 'best week to go' is each has its pros and cons.

First week is quietest and has the advantage of lots of previews, comps and 2 for 1 deals that can significantly help with costs.  However, it's also a lot more difficult to tell the good from the bad without a lot of reviews or hype having had the chance to build - and some shows can still need to be knocked into shape. But if you do your research and / or know your onions it can be the peak period.

Second week is a lot busier (with the 3rd weekend probably when the crowds peak) and buzz shows start appearing on the radar, but as they often have tickets still available you stand a decent chance of getting in to see something that becomes the talk of the town.  And for the acts themselves the first week nerves have gone, the shows have been refined and things are building up a head of steam.  But boy can it be busy.

Then by the third week it's generally clear who the main runners and riders are, but the converse is that they're often over-subscribed. Luckily there are usually extra shows that can sort you out, but it's not always a given. And in my experience the acts themselves can be knackered by this point or down with the festival flu - or indeed just a bit fed up cos they've not had the numbers in or the sort of response they were looking for. But the upside is usually some end of term vibe oddities start appearing in the programme - and under the radar acts can arrive on the awards shortlist out of leftfield, triggering late ticket scrambles for shows that can blow your socks off.

My main advice, regardless of the week you go, would always try to leave wiggle room in your schedule that allows you to book for something that becomes a must see almost overnight. Setting a timetable in stone weeks / months in advance means you can't adapt to catch a word of mouth sensation.

Although, that said, knowing exactly when to pull the trigger to avoid missing out is a bit of an inexact science - and even after years of practice you can still come a cropper. I find now I don't have a fucking scoob whether something is big on TikTok and will sell like hotcakes.

Yeah cheers also from this Fringe layperson, this is really useful!

edwardfog

You're on my list mate, looking forward to seeing you

Loads of good/rare Australasian acts over this year which I'm excited about. Greg Larsen, Dan Williams, Lou Wall, Ray O'Leary, Zoe Coombs Marr

Def going to catch Trygve Wakenshaw as well

errolstrainer

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 06, 2024, 08:32:19 AMMy take on the 'best week to go' is each has its pros and cons.

First week is quietest and has the advantage of lots of previews, comps and 2 for 1 deals that can significantly help with costs.  However, it's also a lot more difficult to tell the good from the bad without a lot of reviews or hype having had the chance to build - and some shows can still need to be knocked into shape. But if you do your research and / or know your onions it can be the peak period.

Second week is a lot busier (with the 3rd weekend probably when the crowds peak) and buzz shows start appearing on the radar, but as they often have tickets still available you stand a decent chance of getting in to see something that becomes the talk of the town.  And for the acts themselves the first week nerves have gone, the shows have been refined and things are building up a head of steam.  But boy can it be busy.

Then by the third week it's generally clear who the main runners and riders are, but the converse is that they're often over-subscribed. Luckily there are usually extra shows that can sort you out, but it's not always a given. And in my experience the acts themselves can be knackered by this point or down with the festival flu - or indeed just a bit fed up cos they've not had the numbers in or the sort of response they were looking for. But the upside is usually some end of term vibe oddities start appearing in the programme - and under the radar acts can arrive on the awards shortlist out of leftfield, triggering late ticket scrambles for shows that can blow your socks off.

My main advice, regardless of the week you go, would always try to leave wiggle room in your schedule that allows you to book for something that becomes a must see almost overnight. Setting a timetable in stone weeks / months in advance means you can't adapt to catch a word of mouth sensation.

Although, that said, knowing exactly when to pull the trigger to avoid missing out is a bit of an inexact science - and even after years of practice you can still come a cropper. I find now I don't have a fucking scoob whether something is big on TikTok and will sell like hotcakes.

I've gone every year apart from the obvious since 2008, tried every combination of spreadsheet/play it by ear and agree there's no exact science, each method has pros and cons and none guarantees you'll see everything you want as it's just so big & busy. Nowadays I do a halfway house of 3-ish things booked per day, either spaced out by hours or close enough to dash between.

I can't really afford it this year, but love it too much to miss and live within sort-of commuting distance so will do one long day by bus. The entirety of my plan so far is 'see Seymour Mace' but by the time I'm on the bus down that'll have grown legs to 'see 8 shows in a day, walk 28km, get lost, cry, die'. 

Last year I had the full experience; was in a three person audience, accidentally went to a children's show which turned out to be one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen, couldn't decide between two same-time shows and ended up missing both (when I should have just tossed a coin and headed to one), got lost on the way to a venue right in the centre as the door wasn't where the app suggested it was & got into a sold out buzzy show on its last day with a last minute return.

So my personal tips would be; be decisive, and scope out venues beforehand if you have time. Oh, and also, if a group of old white guys try to flyer you off the strip, don't take it, they're a flying saucer cult.

CaledonianGonzo

One thing that would be really useful is if the Edfringe Website used an Amber low ticket warning on the tickets sales so you could get a heads up if a specific date was getting busy.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: errolstrainer on April 07, 2024, 08:51:41 AMThe entirety of my plan so far is 'see Seymour Mace'

Doing two shows this year by the looks of it. The usual lunchtime at The Stand and then a best of retrospective later on on the Free Fringe.

errolstrainer

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 07, 2024, 10:28:46 AMOne thing that would be really useful is if the Edfringe Website used an Amber low ticket warning on the tickets sales so you could get a heads up if a specific date was getting busy.

Yeah, the app is limited info-wise and I wish they'd develop it more. Ticket alerts and better directions/photos of venues would make a huge difference.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 07, 2024, 01:39:06 PMDoing two shows this year by the looks of it. The usual lunchtime at The Stand and then a best of retrospective later on on the Free Fringe.

Best news I've heard all year, though suppose I'll look a bit over enthusiastic seeing both in one day.

edwardfog

Quote from: edwardfog on April 06, 2024, 04:11:22 PMYou're on my list mate, looking forward to seeing you

Loads of good/rare Australasian acts over this year which I'm excited about. Greg Larsen, Dan Williams, Lou Wall, Ray O'Leary, Zoe Coombs Marr

Def going to catch Trygve Wakenshaw as well

I mean Guy Williams sorry. Don't know who Dan Williams is

There's gonna be some great acts at the Edinburgh Fringe.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Msp1976 on April 03, 2024, 04:36:26 PMI missed Furiozo last year so.pleased to see that he's also back with the same show.

Seeing a lot of comedians in Melbourne being wildly enthusiastic about this.

DrGreggles

SNORT has been resurrected at the Melbourne Comedy Festival.
With a lot of the NZ crew in Edinburgh in August, hopefully there'll be another Fringe run.

DrGreggles

Monkey Barrel are thriving for a reason.
I'm increasingly hearing of people who eschew 'The Big 4'.

CaledonianGonzo

Joanne McNally's sold out her run

CaledonianGonzo

Msp1976

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 01, 2024, 03:39:16 PMStamptown is indeed in the Pleasance Grand

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/stamptown-comedy-night

And the first tickets for this year are booked! Hopefully it works in such a big room, I'm pretty sure it will.

Tiggles

Pleasance continuing to add new stuff to their fringe list - just spotted Aaron Chen doing a couple of weeks for the second half of August.

CaledonianGonzo

There's new stuff across the board this week - I think the last big drop on the main site is on Thursday

CaledonianGonzo

Not a great deal leaping out on first glance. Full run for BriTANicK will probably get some of my cash.

DrGreggles

Plenty I would watch, but not many I'd go out of my way to watch.
And most of those will be touring at the end of the year.

This could finally be the year off I keep promising myself!

CaledonianGonzo

Ah - but then the best and must see shows are probably in there somewhere. They're just not necessarily by a comedian that folk know to look out for.

Tiggles

I'm struggling already with potential clashes, there's so many acts I want to see (most of them are unlikely to tour to Manchester). And I want to leave gaps for serendipity as well.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm probably about average.  A few must sees in the first week (mix of returning names, new to me performers I've heard good word on and a couple of shows that came last year that I didn't get to see like Ahir Shah) and huge empty periods towards the end.

kitsofan34

Ben Volchok, also known as zomgmouse in these here parts, has a show at this year's Edinburgh Fringe. He's very talented and the show's already got "Pick of the Week" at Adelaide Fest earlier this year.

Quote'Hilarious, moving, provocative... extraordinary' **** (List). Pick of the Week at Adelaide Fringe Festival, 2024. Welcome. Welcome to The Ceremony. You're welcome. Thank you. Exploring ritual and tradition in the modern world, The Ceremony is experimental and interactive – part sermon, part group therapy, part comedy show (not a cult). Shaped entirely with the audience, the show is completely different every night. What's going on? Where are we? Who are we? Does this have a meaning? What does meaning mean? Hmm. Join me. And let The Ceremony begin...

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/ceremony

I think this show's gonna' be absolutely fantastic and you should go see it. I'm not going to be able to go this year, due to geography, but you should! You should.

Msp1976

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 10, 2024, 03:44:22 PMBen Volchok, also known as zomgmouse in these here parts, has a show at this year's Edinburgh Fringe. He's very talented and the show's already got "Pick of the Week" at Adelaide Fest earlier this year.

I think this show's gonna' be absolutely fantastic and you should go see it. I'm not going to be able to go this year, due to geography, but you should! You should.

That sounds interesting. Going to try and see that although I've already got a few clashes around that time.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 10, 2024, 09:58:05 AMI'm probably about average.  A few must sees in the first week (mix of returning names, new to me performers I've heard good word on and a couple of shows that came last year that I didn't get to see like Ahir Shah) and huge empty periods towards the end.

Who's on your must see list @CaledonianGonzo?

Timothy

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 10, 2024, 03:44:22 PMBen Volchok, also known as zomgmouse in these here parts, has a show at this year's Edinburgh Fringe. He's very talented and the show's already got "Pick of the Week" at Adelaide Fest earlier this year.

Wow, cool. Great venue as well. Will try to catch it. Good luck with the run @zomgmouse!

WestHill

So far booked Ewins, Sheeps and Stamptown.

I've also got a lot of clashes, as I'm only up for three nights. Any tips or alternatives for these slots?

Stuart Goldsmith 15:20 vs Joz Norris 15:20 vs Eric Rushron 15:20 vs Absolute Monopoly 15:45

Trygve Wakenshaw 20:15 vs BriTANick 20:00 ve Paul Foot 19:55

Stefan Allun 21:30 vs Furiozo 21:40 vs Dan Rath 21:50 vs The Ceremony 21:45

Huge Davies 22:40 vs Aaron Chen 22:40 vs
Two Hearts 23:00 

sprocket

Quote from: WestHill on May 11, 2024, 02:47:27 PMSo far booked Ewins, Sheeps and Stamptown.

I've also got a lot of clashes, as I'm only up for three nights. Any tips or alternatives for these slots?
Stefan Allun 21:30 vs Furiozo 21:40 vs Dan Rath 21:50 vs The Ceremony 21:45

Huge Davies 22:40 vs Aaron Chen 22:40 vs
Two Hearts 23:00 

Not that it actually helps you much, but Huge Davies is at 21:40.

Tags: