Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EDINBURGH FRINGE THREAD 2024

Started by flotemysost, March 28, 2024, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardfog

Those are some hard clashes but these would be my picks based on what I like and how often they're in town

Quote from: WestHill on May 11, 2024, 02:47:27 PMAbsolute Monopoly 15:45

BriTANick 20:00 although I love Paul Foot and we don't often get Wakenshaw

Dan Rath 21:50

Aaron Chen but Two Hearts would be good too

CaledonianGonzo

BriTANick's WIP last year went as hard as just about any fringe sketch show I've ever seen.

No idea about the finished item, but it's got to be worth a punt.

edwardfog

I've seen the WIP for the new show and it's very good

CaledonianGonzo

They do seem to be a cut above. Their 2022 show is talked of in hallowed terms.

WestHill

Thank you!

Think I'm going Aaron Chen / BriTANick/ keeping Dan Rath vs Furiozo open (might need some clowning in the line up to mix it up)

zomgmouse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 10, 2024, 03:44:22 PMBen Volchok, also known as zomgmouse in these here parts, has a show at this year's Edinburgh Fringe. He's very talented and the show's already got "Pick of the Week" at Adelaide Fest earlier this year.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/ceremony

I think this show's gonna' be absolutely fantastic and you should go see it. I'm not going to be able to go this year, due to geography, but you should! You should.

Thanks for the plug! Yes I am indeed bringing a show to Edinburgh Fringe for the first time. Fortunate enough to be at Summerhall for the full month. Hope to see some of you there!

Quote from: WestHill on May 11, 2024, 09:16:55 PMThank you!

Think I'm going Aaron Chen / BriTANick/ keeping Dan Rath vs Furiozo open (might need some clowning in the line up to mix it up)

I heartily recommend Furiozo. Teched the show for a week in Melbourne and it's one of the best things I've ever seen.

notjosh

Looks like I might make it up for the end of the Fringe after all.

I swear someone has mentioned staying in student accommodation on here before, but I can't find the post. Anyone have any tips? Would like a cheap option that isn't a crowded hostel dorm above a noisy bar.

CaledonianGonzo

Not done it myself so not sure how you book it, but I believe folk stay in Pollock Halls, which is about 15 mins walk along the road from the Pleasance Courtyard.

DrGreggles

Msp1976

Quote from: notjosh on May 14, 2024, 02:24:17 PMLooks like I might make it up for the end of the Fringe after all.

I swear someone has mentioned staying in student accommodation on here before, but I can't find the post. Anyone have any tips? Would like a cheap option that isn't a crowded hostel dorm above a noisy bar.

We use to stay in KM apartments, which are managed by Uni of Edinburgh (same as Pollak Halls) but they decided to almost trebble the price a couple of years ago. Creedy gunts!

Destiny do student accommodation and it tends to be cheaper, but is a bit grim.

Okay deals do come up on Airbnb now and then so it's worth checking regularly.

DrGreggles

I've used student accommodation plenty of times and it's fine. You can sleep and shower, decent location - it's not like you'll be hanging around the hotel during the Fringe anyway.
Close as you'll get in terms of value for money without commuting.

notjosh

Thanks guys. Have provisionally booked Pollock Halls through Booking.com. £170 for two nights, which is a lot but still one of the best prices I could see for a single room. But the good thing is I don't have to pay till the day, so can keep it as a backup in the hope I find something cheaper before then.

MarkyMark2000

Is there a new trend in comedians only doing a week or two instead of the full run? Noticing it more than ever. I presume the accommodation costs are the factor?

CaledonianGonzo

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: MarkyMark2000 on May 15, 2024, 11:24:10 AMIs there a new trend in comedians only doing a week or two instead of the full run? Noticing it more than ever. I presume the accommodation costs are the factor?

It's definitely a more recent thing, but has been happening for a few years now.  Prepandemic you'd see it occasionally - but since then it's now more commonplace, particularly among more established circuit comedians who aren't angling after prizes and / or getting their name out there with producers and agents.

Msp1976

Quote from: Timothy on May 15, 2024, 12:39:22 PMThis seems interesting:

https://www.traverse.co.uk/whats-on/event/natalie-palamides-weer-festival-24

I know a couple of people who have seen her WIP in SOHO and it sounds great. Loved Nate & she's outstanding in Apocalypse Clown. Bit pricey for the fringe and I have got a no big venue rule but think I might have to bend that a little.

CaledonianGonzo

23 sheets is a little on the steep side.  She's also in the larger theatre so that's a lot of tickets to shift.

Palamide's Netflix special is unhinged.

Show I've got booked are:

Dan Tiernan - Monkey Barrel
Katie Norris - Pleasance Courtyard
Gang Bang - Pleasance Courtyard
Matt Ewins - Monkey Barrel
Pierre Novellie - Monkey Barrel

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 15, 2024, 12:53:19 PMIt's definitely a more recent thing, but has been happening for a few years now.  Prepandemic you'd see it occasionally - but since then it's now more commonplace, particularly among more established circuit comedians who aren't angling after prizes and / or getting their name out there with producers and agents.

Last year seemed to have a lot more of it than the year before. But I think it might've been because the festival probably was busier and pushing the prices up for performers (who were probably still suffering the effects of covid to some degrees), I wasn't planning on going the year before as I didn't think it was safe really, but I then happened to catch covid a few weeks before August so went because I was then temporarily immune.

flotemysost

Transport and accommodation sorted so I'll be there from the 15th-19th (not entirely convinced the place I'm staying on the first night actually exists, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose).

Having another gander at the website (which seems a right cumbersome unhelpful piece of garbage, I really hope there's an app again this year) and it looks there there's TWO BriTANick shows this year (Cash Grab Live and Dummy), which one should I see? Both?

Also still up for a meet of some description if at all feasible - Friday 15th was posited earlier, I'd be down for then if that works for some of you? Currently got nowt booked show wise though, so I'm pretty easy at the moment.

DrGreggles

Quote from: flotemysost on May 26, 2024, 10:49:41 AMHaving another gander at the website (which seems a right cumbersome unhelpful piece of garbage, I really hope there's an app again this year) and it looks there there's TWO BriTANick shows this year (Cash Grab Live and Dummy), which one should I see? Both?

Cash Grab is a live pod or something

flotemysost

ah cheers!

(and sorry, I meant Friday 16th!)

CaledonianGonzo

Tiggles

Tim Key's just announced, two weeks from 11 August. Hurrah!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tiggles on June 14, 2024, 12:46:51 PMTim Key's just announced, two weeks from 11 August. Hurrah!

Where?

Tiggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 14, 2024, 01:31:53 PMWhere?

Announced on IG and Twitter. Will be on at the Pleasance Dome, Queen Dome. Tickets currently only available through the Pleasance website.

DrGreggles

Looks like I'll be there for a few days.
Are we still looking at Friday the 16th for a drinks meet?

Tags: