Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 03:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Conan O'Brien Needs A Thread

Started by Kelvin, April 14, 2024, 04:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

This isn't the best Schlansky video or anything but check out Conan's moves when he's had too much coffee.

The bit where he asks people to test his bicep is the funniest to me, but what I'm drawing attention to is his command of his body. Really good clowning. And yet he's best known for sitting at a desk.

(Thanks, @Kelvin for prompting this mini watch-fest btw. Jordan is killing me).

Kelvin

Quote from: Mobbd on April 25, 2024, 10:24:00 AM(Thanks, @Kelvin for prompting this mini watch-fest btw. Jordan is killing me).

Thanks, @Mobbd I've been utterly voracious with Conan's content these last few weeks, and I genuinely felt giddy watching clips of him on the bus the other day. I love his willingness to be extremely silly. His fantastic wit. The positive energy he brings to everything.

Not got access to Max (or any streaming service), so not watched the new series yet. But this clip really made me laugh:

Mobbd

Quote from: Kelvin on April 25, 2024, 08:28:35 PMthis clip really made me laugh:

Hee!, that's very cute. "That's for later when they come and interview you in your jail cell."

Kelvin

Another rabbit hole I've gone down; rehearsal out-takes from Conan's TBS show.

This one's good, with Conan and Brian Stack improvising to make the team laugh after the scripted sketch ends:

Reminded me a bit of Geoff on Craig Fergeson's show, especially the audible corpsing coming from the bear.

And for Jordan fans:

Conan didn't realise that he was meant to interrupt Jordan for the bit, so allows him to talk unscripted for six minutes about Star Wars. It's not exactly funny, as Jordan plays it straight, but it is an impressive bit of improvised stream-of-consciousness, which earns him a sincere compliment from Conan at the end. 

It's also interesting to see Conan noticeably less "on" than usual in these, as he's still learning or developing the material, and therefore not performing for the audience at home, only intermittently for himself, the cast and crew.

Kelvin

One thing I'm learning from watching the behind the scenes stuff; Andy Richter is a hundred times funnier in rehearsals than he is on any live show I've watched, or in any interview. I'd always assumed he was a witless boob, like Paul Shaffer. 

Mobbd

Did Dr Arroyo make an appearance on Hot Ones?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mobbd on May 05, 2024, 10:08:55 AMDid Dr Arroyo make an appearance on Hot Ones?

He appears intermittently throughout Conan's appearance, to check up on him.

Mobbd

Quote from: Kelvin on May 05, 2024, 01:53:26 PMHe appears intermittently throughout Conan's appearance, to check up on him.

Tee-hee! Pocket meats.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Kelvin on May 05, 2024, 02:11:40 AMOne thing I'm learning from watching the behind the scenes stuff; Andy Richter is a hundred times funnier in rehearsals than he is on any live show I've watched, or in any interview. I'd always assumed he was a witless boob, like Paul Shaffer. 

He really does have his moments, and is clearly not just a mindless sidekick.

He was also one of the very few people to have a public opinion on Norm's occasional dodgy jokes that don't ever seem to get mentioned. Which was weird because he had a very obvious conservative Christian streak.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Yeah, Andy wasn't a fan of the Andy Richter the Swedish-German joke, as I recall.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on May 06, 2024, 12:56:02 PMYeah, Andy wasn't a fan of the Andy Richter the Swedish-German joke, as I recall.

Yes, and fair enough. It's just a corny old shit homophobic joke.

Mobbd

Look at him breaking character for about a fortnight in this wine-tasting video. Glorious.

Ron Superior

Around the turn of the millennium I lived in Germany for a year and they used to show Conan over there and, aside from being the relief of being a show in English, my god it was funny. Loved all the one off and recurring stupid characters and bits. Some of my favourites I remember watching.

Clive Clemmons, a seemingly fictional British heavy metal guitar legend who created his own satellite tv channel just for inappropriate reactions to things:

German game show Stackenblocken:

And of course the Masturbating Bear:

Plus, a bit later, but here's some early Jon Glaser as part of The Slipnutz:

madhair60

the Slipnutz is maybe one of the most "this was made for me" pieces of comedy ever produced. It's just so perfectly stupid.

Jon Glaser, not Benjamin!

Ron Superior

Fuck! You know what? Fuhgedaboudit.

Tags: