Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 12:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

do you like Lee & Herring (double act only)

Started by madhair60, May 09, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Fist of Fun, TMWRNJ... their whole thing. Do you like it? Do you find them funny.

I do

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Shaxberd

Yes, love them, a foundational influence on my sense of humour. Being about ten years old and stumbling across TMWRNJ after the kids' cartoons had finished felt like being allowed into some kind of secret world I wasn't supposed to have access to. It was like nothing else I'd seen at that point and nobody else seemed to have heard of it (although my parents politely tolerated me rabbiting on about it over Sunday lunch), only highlighting how much of an anomaly it felt like - and still does.

Ferris

Yes

Edit: to add

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 09, 2024, 04:09:27 PMYes, love them, a foundational influence on my sense of humour. Being about ten years old and stumbling across TMWRNJ after the kids' cartoons had finished felt like being allowed into some kind of secret world I wasn't supposed to have access to. It was like nothing else I'd seen at that point and nobody else seemed to have heard of it (although my parents politely tolerated me rabbiting on about it over Sunday lunch), only highlighting how much of an anomaly it felt like - and still does.

Yes to all of this and all.

madhair60

a follow up question: what is your favourite Lee and Herring bits

Histor's eye.  One of the first things I ever did on YouTube was look up clips from that. Funny, like a bird's egg.

watching TMWRNJ go out live on a Sunday when i was in my teens was just crazy good. Nothing like that ever happened. Properly anarchic and funnier than anything else.

And how mad is it that Stewart Lee used to be considered the good-looking, less funny one?

Ferris

You have wheedled it out of me with your questions, questions, questions.

Shaxberd

Very specific TMWRNJ bits: the Curious Orange shrieking, Trevor's tiny face, a bit where they mocked the camera work on TFI Friday by holding up a pack of chicken breasts while the camera zoomed in wildly. I will also confess to having stolen the whole bit about trying the milks of various animals and passed it off as an original bit of whimsy.

I've seen Fist of Fun but don't remember it as well, Rod Hull stands out as a highlight though.

Outside Lee and Herring work I'm mildly amused that Richard Herring has kept the "the cool kids are calling this programme (phonetic pronunciation of acronym)" schtick going for a good 20+ years at this point, across all his projects.

FeederFan500

Liked watching TMWRNJ on YouTube, the Fist of Fun radio show was repeated on R4 extra recently and I thought it was just ok as radio comedies go.

Pranet

I'm old enough that the first I heard of them was Lionel Nimrod. And I thought they were never as good once they went onto tv.

perplexingprocrastinator

Chalk me up as another one for whom Fist of Fun was completely formative, influencing how I speak and the jokes I told forever after.

Every joke about Somerset being backward (perhaps especially the jarred man) is unbelievably funny.

I will always love them and their estrangement is more painful to me than my parent's acrimonious divorce.

Quote from: FeederFan500 on May 09, 2024, 04:35:20 PMLiked watching TMWRNJ on YouTube, the Fist of Fun radio show was repeated on R4 extra recently and I thought it was just ok as radio comedies go.

The curse of radio 4. Doesn't matter if the people are funny - something about radio 4 just prevents 97% of all comedy output actually being funny. I think it's just the deadening middlebrow middle aged smug whiff of the station. It stifles quality

Pink Gregory

The Bumlord

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Pranet on May 09, 2024, 04:39:11 PMI'm old enough that the first I heard of them was Lionel Nimrod. And I thought they were never as good once they went onto tv.

Yeah, me and all

Des Wigwam

I listened to Lionel Nimrod and loved it. Hardly remember Fist of Fun as it coincided with my going out drinking and not getting off with people years. TMWRNJ then fell into the start of my working years and my friend and I would watch it with glee. Still remember how gutted we were as the repeat of the final episode was booted for some Wimbledon bullshit. We were both very excited to rewatch the showgirls intro and I've never looked for it on YouTube in case it isn't as good as I hope. I do love seeing clips here and there though. I appreciate Histor's Eye loads more now I'm all mature.

Is it TMWRNJ that has an intro to a segment of "Mother Nature, like all mothers, is a whore"?

Also still call Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall Huge Furry Wishingstall and think of Mike Read's My Creed as lazy show titles (although they were audience suggestions).

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 09, 2024, 04:23:58 PMOutside Lee and Herring work I'm mildly amused that Richard Herring has kept the "the cool kids are calling this programme (phonetic pronunciation of acronym)" schtick going for a good 20+ years at this point, across all his projects.

Anyone remember what the catalyst for that was? Seem to think there was a particular popular show that worked as an acronym at the time and it was aping that.

McDead

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on May 09, 2024, 04:46:02 PMChalk me up as another one for whom Fist of Fun was completely formative, influencing how I speak and the jokes I told forever after.

Every joke about Somerset being backward (perhaps especially the jarred man) is unbelievably funny.

I will always love them and their estrangement is more painful to me than my parent's acrimonious divorce.

The curse of radio 4. Doesn't matter if the people are funny - something about radio 4 just prevents 97% of all comedy output actually being funny. I think it's just the deadening middlebrow middle aged smug whiff of the station. It stifles quality

It was originally on radio one, of course, back when R1 bothered with comedy output.

I like the radio series well enough, though I like series 2 much better than 1. Iirc, series 1 was much like the TV series, with a fairly rowdy atmosphere (and maybe a studio audience?), very script heavy and prepackaged. Series 2 had a more intimate, freewheeling feel, with more riffing between the two, no audience, some really good music and a few decent sketches, more in the vein of the Armando Iannucci or Chris Morris radio shows. This one feels like a precursor to TMWRNJ (and I think some of the sketches - like the two teachers - started off here), though series 2 of FoF would come before this and TMWRNJ.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 09, 2024, 04:09:27 PMYes, love them, a foundational influence on my sense of humour. Being about ten years old and stumbling across TMWRNJ after the kids' cartoons had finished felt like being allowed into some kind of secret world I wasn't supposed to have access to. It was like nothing else I'd seen at that point and nobody else seemed to have heard of it (although my parents politely tolerated me rabbiting on about it over Sunday lunch), only highlighting how much of an anomaly it felt like - and still does.

Same for me. TMWRNJ felt like the funniest and most anarchic thing I'd ever seen. It had a massive influence on me at 12/13 years old, and it still holds up when I rewatch it now. Still cannot get over the timeslot it had.

I'd watched Fist of Fun too, but being a couple of years older by the time TMWRNJ came out definitely helped with me being able to fully get the humour.

In the year 2000 I reckon I would've said the pair of them were the funniest men alive.

lauraxsynthesis

Hell yeah. I've rewatched bits in the last year or so and it was even funnier than I remembered. I should do a full rewatch to properly offer my fave bits. I probably prefer TMWRNJ overall thanks to the anarchy of the studio bits. All the shows are so densely packed with gags - just wonderful.

I was fortunate to see them live once when they came through Canterbury while I was at university. It was the week Giant Haystacks died. This was referred to in passing at the beginning and then at the end Richard emerged dressed like him. Brought the house down.

I also mourn they're unlikely to work together again and that they can't even be friendly towards each other anymore.

This was posted in another thread recently, but let's have it again. Glorious stuff.

Magnum Valentino

I think about lines from their radio shows every day. There's a bit in their sketch about the Cyclops where Stew adds "AND salad" from off to the side that's so so funny.

What else? "Don't you even know THAT yet? I do". "You've got the stink-ing spam disease". "Those are my two thousand pounds" (Dale Winton was such a a good sport after being called a man with the personality of a spit drenched rag the week before).

I used to think that some of the early stuff was deliberately naff (use of pop songs as sketch intros and such) and even though I don't have that lenience any more I still love Lionel Nimrod probably more than anything either man has done separately, despite it being the last thing of theirs I got around to.

neveragain

Want to, but don't. Can hardly get through their TV episodes (either series), despite there being lots of lines and supporting comedy actors I enjoy.

Ferris

Kankurette

Quote from: madhair60 on May 09, 2024, 04:14:15 PMa follow up question: what is your favourite Lee and Herring bits
Curious Orange.

Pranet

I don't know if they even exist anymore, but what someone should do is find all their Weekending sketches and stitch them all together into one thing.

PaulTMA

They're kind of like the Velvet Underground in that they weren't massive at the time, but every fan of theirs started an account on Cookdandbombd

The Mollusk

Had never seen any of their stuff together until very recently (I am a fan of comedy, honest). My wife loves them and showed me a couple episodes of TMWRNJ. I thought it was okay but couldn't help feeling like I had to be there at the time to really appreciate it. Haven't felt the urge to finish watching any of it since.

Stinky Lomax

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 09, 2024, 05:01:44 PMIs it TMWRNJ that has an intro to a segment of "Mother Nature, like all mothers, is a whore"?

Yes, delivered by Mark Gatiss (as Greg Evigan).

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 09, 2024, 05:01:44 PMAnyone remember what the catalyst for [the acronym thing] was? Seem to think there was a particular popular show that worked as an acronym at the time and it was aping that.

It was TFI Friday.

(Fried-Day, like a fried egg!)

Tags: