Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

do you like Lee & Herring (double act only)

Started by madhair60, May 09, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I think they just about broke even on the FoF releases, and that's with pretty much everyone who was going to buy it buying it.
There would be no extra demand to justify their outlay on TMWRNJ, especially if was three or four times more expensive.

FeederFan500

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 13, 2024, 01:52:41 PMObvs I have no idea about the amounts or either of their finances but remember there was a period where Stewart was actively objecting to ploughing his money into stuff that other people wanted. Think he talks about it on the second RHLSTP appearance.

Can't really come up with a counter argument tbh.

I don't know if it was part of the same talk but he has also said he is not going to do anything that actively costs (or could easily end up costing) him money, whether that's buying DVD rights or writing a book.

If the Guardian could pay him to do his book on the art of comedy itself rather than the columns he regularly churns out for them that'd be great.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: FeederFan500 on May 13, 2024, 06:57:47 PMI don't know if it was part of the same talk but he has also said he is not going to do anything that actively costs (or could easily end up costing) him money, whether that's buying DVD rights or writing a book.

And that was before he had two households to support innit

purlieu

Absolutely adore Fist of Fun, a really wonderful formative show that brings back so many memories. This With Morning Richard Not Judy (that's how Rich pronounces the acronym, that's what I'm calling it) I found very slightly patchier, maybe the weekly recurring sketch format was more obvious, maybe I just find Lee's misogynistic remarks about Gail Porter and the like really, really fucking uncomfortable now. Mind you it also had Histor's Eye, the Curious Alien and the Davros incarnation of the Curious Orange, so y'know, lots to love. Also just the joy of seeing them absolutely push the limits of what they could get away with on a Sunday morning. Really wish people didn't cheer at "weak lemon drink" though. It's not that inherently funny.

But also I just remembered that almost all of Rich's schtick throughout This With Morning Richard Not Judy was him being a exaggerated sexist creep and him drinking various animals' milk. It's the unfortunate lolrandom contrast to Stew's much, much better angry tirades. I'm much more critical of this than everyone else seems to be, although I do love both shows, but I do genuinely find Richard Herring fucking annoying a lot of the time.

I have a lot of time for the very open acknowledgement that Stew was the only one keeping Men of Achievement 1974 on air.

The Giggling Bean

I only started watching them during series 2 of Fist of Fun. I really enjoyed it though and it's had a lasting legacy. My sister and I still say "you want the moon on a stick" and my dad and I will still say "well the Fishmonger thought it was funny". To this day the boy who cried wolf sketch still tickles me.

I've a lot of time for Rich and Stew, it's a shame they're not performing together any more.

There's one part of Lionel Nimrod that will pop up in my mind at random and always makes me laugh. They're talking about aliens and how radiowaves travel into the future and Stew says this is a message for any aliens listening, then declares space war on them. I'm laughing as I'm writing this.

I sporadically watched TMWRNJ but don't remember as much about it. I've got series 1 on a VHS so I'll have to go back and rewatch it at some point.

Shaky

I actually preferred the book ahhhhhhhhh.....

Seriously, though - The Fist of Fun tie-in book had some brilliant stuff in it. The weird footy stickers mash-up is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

pdf of the book also available from fistoffun.net: https://www.fistoffun.net/book/fistoffunbook.pdf

Just spent about five minutes laughing at the 2 page spread with all the tribute bands on it. "The Malvinas Selecter" loool

Dusty Substance

They were like Cannon and Ball... ON ACID! 

Mobbd

Quote from: Shaky on May 14, 2024, 01:31:15 PMSeriously, though - The Fist of Fun tie-in book had some brilliant stuff in it. The weird footy stickers mash-up is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I've seen that in real life. Stew displayed it at Arthur Smith's "Artuart" art-by-comedians art show in Edinburgh about 15 years ago.

stonkers

There was a copy of Men of Achievement 1974 on sale on Amazon a few years ago that I was frequently tempted by but I couldn't justify several hundred quid for an obscure joke that I and maybe one other person I know would be mildly amused at for 30 seconds.

It has however been scanned and uploaded to the Internet Archive.

Gurke and Hare

I bought a copy of MoA 1974 a couple of years ago. It was only tens of pounds rather than hundreds but I still probably wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't stoned at the time.

Twilkes

Not sure if this has been touched on, but are there any early bootlegs of the double act, or even anything pre big Fist Of Fun tours?

madhair60

kalowski

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on May 14, 2024, 01:40:20 PMpdf of the book also available from fistoffun.net: https://www.fistoffun.net/book/fistoffunbook.pdf

Just spent about five minutes laughing at the 2 page spread with all the tribute bands on it. "The Malvinas Selecter" loool
I did chuckle at Paul Simon being described as a "tiny, harmonic jew"

king_tubby

Quote from: kalowski on May 19, 2024, 08:27:06 PM"tiny, harmonic jew"

There were another couple of 'Jew' bits that I raised my eyebrows at and did a big 'hmmmmmm'.

kalowski

Quote from: king_tubby on May 19, 2024, 09:20:47 PMThere were another couple of 'Jew' bits that I raised my eyebrows at and did a big 'hmmmmmm'.

I don't think the bit I quoted is anti-Semitic but will acquiesce to others' more informed opinion and I'll apologise.
I thought it was simply silly and a funnily reductive way to describe Paul Simon.

king_tubby

I dunno, you wouldn't say Prince was a 'tiny, funky black'. Well, you may have done in the 90s.

DrGreggles

Ferris

That slap bass solo was good enough for jehovah!

PaulTMA

Mobbd

Does anyone know what's up with the "Stuart"? I don't think Preview editorial made a mistake because it's all "Stu" in the Q&A posted in the rewatch thread as well.

Jackson K Pollock

QuoteStu's girlfriend arrives. She has drawn up some astrological charts for us all and knitted Stu a jumper with some stars on it.

I wonder if they'd been watching Spinal Tap on the tour bus that day...!

Ferris

Who played Dai in some vodafone adverts? If that's a reference, it's very fucking oblique.

Menu

Quote from: Ferris on May 28, 2024, 12:45:22 AMWho played Dai in some vodafone adverts? If that's a reference, it's very fucking oblique.
Could it be Baynham (who is Welsh)? He got the Pot Noodle gig around this time I think.

Senior Baiano

Do you like Lee and Herring
And getting caught in the rain
And the feel of the ocean
And the taste of champagne

Ferris

Quote from: Menu on June 03, 2024, 06:41:42 AMCould it be Baynham (who is Welsh)? He got the Pot Noodle gig around this time I think.

I wondered if it was PB and they'd just altered the ad slightly so they weren't annoying the good people at Pot Noodle Inc. it just seemed so specific that there might actually be a Dai.

Menu

Quote from: Ferris on June 03, 2024, 01:41:13 PMI wondered if it was PB and they'd just altered the ad slightly so they weren't annoying the good people at Pot Noodle Inc. it just seemed so specific that there might actually be a Dai.

Tbh I'm surprised that Herring hasn't retained this as one of his hundreds of obscure running jokes that originate in the mid-90s.

markburgle

Find the whole fallout between them really fascinating (as well as sad, obviously), because a: it didn't happen at the time of the professional breakup and wasn't the cause of it, and b: they both publicly present as equally flawed-yet-decent and likeable people.

They were still friendly all through the 00's and into the early 10's, Stew said the first 20 minutes of Hitler Moustache was some of the best standup he'd ever seen ("but the rest of it is rubbish, obviously"), I remember a Warming Up entry describing them both warmly, drunkenly reminiscing at some gig and promising to work together again when they were older, then the aforementioned reunions, the DVD commentaries....

I can understand Rich being upset over Stew backing out on the TMWRNJ DVD's after all the work that went into them, but around the same time Stew started publicly expressing real contempt for Rich and I don't understand the source of that at all. It's like he looked at their divergent paths, and rather than accepting that they're different people he's made some sort of negative moral judgement call on Rich (the whole "leave Avalon" thing had a flavour of accusation, like "why don't you stop morally compromising yourself with this evil comedy corporation" or something).

Maybe Rich is correct and he's just not that nice a person, which is hard to contemplate because I love Stewart Lee

13 schoolyards

Maybe they just grew apart as people and the only way to make the separation clear to everyone else was to over-emphasise their differences?

Tags: