Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

do you like Lee & Herring (double act only)

Started by madhair60, May 09, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinky Lomax

Come on granddad, it's Die Sharky Babas now!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Stinky Lomax on May 09, 2024, 07:30:29 PMCome on granddad, it's Die Sharky Babas now!

they successfully combine sharks, and an arabian nights theme

Cracking up just thinking of Rich's "grandad" mime with the shaking hand

DrGreggles

lauraxsynthesis

I listened to Weekending back when they were writing for it and now I wonder if their sketches were distinctive in some way.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on May 09, 2024, 08:20:16 PMI listened to Weekending back when they were writing for it and now I wonder if their sketches were distinctive in some way.

Their On The Hour sketches are very noticeable once you spend enough time with the radio sketches from their later series. A lot of the Partridge and I think all of Rosy May bits are Lee and Herring material, as well as a good few others.

It could be the same for Weekending though I doubt they would have been given the free reign afforded to them under Iannucci as producer.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: madhair60 on May 09, 2024, 04:14:15 PMa follow up question: what is your favourite Lee and Herring bits

Peter being in the crowd for the pie pie festival.

Stewart Lee saying "Oh dear, Terry Nutkins there" on Nimrod.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 09, 2024, 08:29:32 PMStewart Lee saying "Oh dear, Terry Nutkins there" on Nimrod.

Fucking right, that's a clinker.

Another brilliant "Peter" bit is him talking about Rentacrates being an ancient Greek rhyming with Socrates. Every time I watch that I end up spiralling off, thinking about that character and his completely unique impression-proof voice.

PaulTMA

Some of Peter's off-the cuff phrases like "sticky-up winky" will probably still be on my mind when I have dementia

Alberon

Quote from: McDead on May 09, 2024, 05:04:21 PMI like the radio series well enough, though I like series 2 much better than 1. Iirc, series 1 was much like the TV series, with a fairly rowdy atmosphere (and maybe a studio audience?), very script heavy and prepackaged. Series 2 had a more intimate, freewheeling feel, with more riffing between the two, no audience, some really good music and a few decent sketches, more in the vein of the Armando Iannucci or Chris Morris radio shows. This one feels like a precursor to TMWRNJ (and I think some of the sketches - like the two teachers - started off here), though series 2 of FoF would come before this and TMWRNJ.

The second radio 1 radio series is the best. I think the false Rod Hull got his start here in some impromptu bit. Plus my letter got read out in a Simon Quinlank sketch, so, obviously, I win.

Saw the live show with, IIRC, an appearance by Mr T who ran about screaming that he was him and wanting jelly. The comedy of the radio and TV shows really were just my thing and, probably, helped formed my preferences despite being into my twenties at that point. It's been pointed out before but they didn't half-arse anything, even when they were making it look like they were, even the tie-in hardback annual has some great stuff in it.

It didn't hurt that they were among the first to use this new interweb thing to talk to nerds, even got a few PR photos from them in the post for my own fan website.

I've only had two avatars on this website and for many years it was False Rod Hull.

PS I am wanking as I write this.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 09, 2024, 08:44:12 PMSome of Peter's off-the cuff phrases like "sticky-up winky" will probably still be on my mind when I have dementia

the noise he makes exactly once for the voice of Alan Milk-Carton-Body, sort of an indistinct grumbling sound, slays me

See also calling his rat a mouse, and then ending the series with 'it's a rat obviously'

thugler

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 09, 2024, 04:09:27 PMYes, love them, a foundational influence on my sense of humour. Being about ten years old and stumbling across TMWRNJ after the kids' cartoons had finished felt like being allowed into some kind of secret world I wasn't supposed to have access to. It was like nothing else I'd seen at that point and nobody else seemed to have heard of it (although my parents politely tolerated me rabbiting on about it over Sunday lunch), only highlighting how much of an anomaly it felt like - and still does.

Really identify with this. The time it was on tv on sundays was mental. I wasn't even allowed to watch post watershed tv and it felt totally different to everything else I had seen. Not sure I'd have got as into comedy without having had that as a formative experience.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 09, 2024, 08:34:52 PMAnother brilliant "Peter" bit is him talking about Rentacrates being an ancient Greek rhyming with Socrates.

This is the bit I would mention if I met him. Great.

lauraxsynthesis

I wish more people recognised the I'm wanking as I write this meme. So many times I want to use it and think I probably can't

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on May 09, 2024, 10:27:45 PMI wish more people recognised the I'm wanking as I write this meme. So many times I want to use it and think I probably can't

Was actually about to mention this in the things you can't believe they got past the censors thread.
The unusual priest has some spicy things to say as well usually.

Gurke and Hare

Annabel Giles losing it at Peter talking about seeing a man kissing a dog on the mouth is great.

PaulTMA

The old woman with a face like Jools Holland

non capisco

I've undoubtedly said this on here before but the very first appearance by The Actor Kevin Eldon as Rod Hull on the Radio 1 show, before they'd even struck on the idea that he was a ludicrous imposter and it was a surreal shrieking demi-impression of the actual Hull, is one of the few times in my life I thought I might faint from laughing. "HELLO! I am ROD HULL! DON'T TAKE DRUGS! Touching small boys' genitals with a puppet on my hand is enough of a drug for ME!"

Jerzy Bondov

Had a dream the other night that they were friends again and I went to their gig and they signed my ticket and Mark Lamarr offered to also sign my ticket but he hadn't been in the show so I said it wouldn't really make sense and he was nice about it

McDead

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 09, 2024, 10:35:52 PMAnnabel Giles losing it at Peter talking about seeing a man kissing a dog on the mouth is great.

"We are the lambs of Godddd", great episode, I must listen to this series again.

McDead

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on May 09, 2024, 10:27:45 PMI wish more people recognised the I'm wanking as I write this meme. So many times I want to use it and think I probably can't

Beautifully deployed upthread by Alberon, I must say.

non capisco

I loved that their Radio 1 show had all the achingly cool US indie that Stew loved like Archers Of Loaf and Prisonshake and also shite like Leonard Nimoy singing The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins ("Do you think the women who sing 'Bilbo!' in the background still put this on their CVs, Stew?") and The Flying Pickets' a cappella version of Smells Like Teen Spirit ("G'DANG G'DANG?! It just sounds like a teenage boy mucking about in his bedroom") And Peter Baynham as Pete pretending to be scared by a record that mentions King Kong. It was sort of designed to be ephemeral but loads of it is still lodged in my head.

McDead

Quote from: non capisco on May 09, 2024, 11:03:47 PMI loved that their Radio 1 show had all the achingly cool US indie that Stew loved like Archers Of Loaf and Prisonshake and also shite like Leonard Nimoy singing The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins ("Do you think the women who sing 'Bilbo!' in the background still put this on their CVs, Stew?") and The Flying Pickets' a cappella version of Smells Like Teen Spirit ("G'DANG G'DANG?! It just sounds like a teenage boy mucking about in his bedroom") And Peter Baynham as Pete pretending to be scared by a record that mentions King Kong. It was sort of designed to be ephemeral but loads of it is still lodged in my head.

Any time I eat a cold cut of any kind, I think of Pete selecting John Lennon's "Cold Turkey" as his Christmas song.

Ferris

"Yeah it was an amazing time for comedy you know"

Getting increasingly weird and mad as the section goes on. Really good.

PaulTMA

Peter bringing in Do The Hucklebuck to play on the show because he found it on a wall in Balham

Ferris

McDead

The executive, with his pinstripe suit and cufflinks

Tags: