Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 10:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

do you like Lee & Herring (double act only)

Started by madhair60, May 09, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinky Lomax

Quote from: TommyTurnips on May 10, 2024, 01:45:40 AM*1974

Stop getting TMWRNJ wrong!

Oh, you want us to quote the show and get the quotes right, do you? You know what you want...

SirDoris

I think my ideal double act would have the heads of Richard Herring and Stewart Lee on the bodies of Richard Herring and Stewart Lee.

Daniel

As well as many of the quotes mentioned already that are part of my daily vernacular I also insist on referring to them as "Doritoss" and if anyone picks me up on it respond with "My Dad calls them Doritoss, Stew, and he should know" (usually to complete bewilderment)

Alberon

Same.

Also stuck calling skeletons skellingtons and forever adding an s to the end of John Major.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on May 09, 2024, 04:19:36 PMAnd how mad is it that Stewart Lee used to be considered the good-looking, less funny one?

They've had a proper waters/gillmore style crossover for sure

Yea fist of fun really spoke to my inner teenage goblin. Made me realise that my crouching grubby perversions were both funny and normal

Senior Baiano

Quote from: non capisco on May 09, 2024, 11:03:47 PM("G'DANG G'DANG?! It just sounds like a teenage boy mucking about in his bedroom")

He's (Rich?) actually probably stumbled upon the secret sauce that made the song so compelling to teenagers there

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Alberon on May 10, 2024, 08:34:12 AMSame.

Also stuck calling skeletons skellingtons and forever adding an s to the end of John Major.

Ian Beales as well. Except in the case of "Evil Undersea Ian Beale Base".

Also great is "motherless hundred foot column freak".

Doesn't Peter also mispronounce Doritos as Dor-Eye-Toes?

Senior Baiano

Sounds like I should check out the hour long FoF radio 1 episodes- must have listened to them at the time, but I never really vibed with the comedy and music hour long format (I was late to fully appreciate Blue Jam for the same reason). I do know that my wife as a teenager phoned in and got read out a joke about annoying OAPs by telling them that zimmer frames were being melted down to make the new small 5p coins.

Senior Baiano

Rich drowning Darryl Hannah in an attempt to make her turn into a mermaid. You do, as they say, get the best pictures on the radio.

Senior Baiano

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 10, 2024, 09:04:51 AMSounds like I should check out the hour long FoF radio 1 episodes- must have listened to them at the time, but I never really vibed with the comedy and music hour long format (I was late to fully appreciate Blue Jam for the same reason). I do know that my wife as a teenager phoned in and got read out a joke about annoying OAPs by telling them that zimmer frames were being melted down to make the new small 5p coins.

Fist of Fun on Radio 1 is separate to the hour long music shows. FoF episodes are 30 mins.

Senior Baiano

Oh right yeah, those shows were just called Lee and Herring weren't they

Twilkes

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 10, 2024, 09:11:28 AM"Human! Fetch those bananas"

I read through some TMWRNJ quotes on I think IMDB, and pretty much none of them made any sense or had any comedic value outside of the context of the show, which shows how dependent it was on the characters on screen.

Characters where, seemingly, over the years, one of them has grown up too much, and one of them not enough.

iamcoop

If I'm ever in a position where I have to try and look cool in front of some young people the phrase 'I brought in some music - it's Crowded House, so let's enjoy ourselves' always pops into my head.

Gurke and Hare

Wouldn't if be wonderful if Stew quietly slipped Rich's new show into his list of things to see in his next newsletter...

There's a few interviews out there, albeit from a awhile ago, where Stew seems to have genuine affection for Rich only doing shows fixated on single things and taking them to mad lengths - yoghurt.

Although, he also seems to love saying how much money Rich is spaffing on them.

And yes, John Major(s), Skellington and Doh-rit-toss are firmly cemented into my daily vocab.

Ferris

Quote from: SirDoris on May 10, 2024, 05:38:56 AMI think my ideal double act would have the heads of Richard Herring and Stewart Lee on the bodies of Richard Herring and Stewart Lee.

I never said they were attached, Stew.

TommyTurnips

You know who I'd like to attach a head onto, that Tony Blairs. That'll make him rethink some of his recent foreign policy decisions.

Ferris

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 10, 2024, 09:17:29 AMOh right yeah, those shows were just called Lee and Herring weren't they

Are these still on Fourble? I had loads downloaded but then changed phone and tried to get the app to re-download them but got the equivalent of a 404 error.

I think stuff on Fourble moves around but I find the interface very difficult to use hence asking here rather than putting any effort in and looking.

Gurke and Hare

The radio stuf is all available here albeit with that website's bumpers added at the front and end of the files.

thr0b

Trevor and Natalie in latex and PVC outfits with Trevor as Natalie's slave at lunchtime on Sunday BBC 2.

sevendaughters

I've been watching TMWRN Judy over the last few weeks and I think it - particularly series 2 - is one of the best things the BBC has ever put out, and probably the highlight of either man's careers. Certainly Herring, and I don't say that as a diss - he was in his element here, whereas maybe Lee was not.

It is imperfect - but I don't care about that and in fact think the impish shitness allows for them to comment on the errors in a way that feels like live material should. It is gleefully childish - but I like that. It is occasionally ropily performed and the first series feels like a revue early on. But for giddy gleeful anarchic weirdness, I struggle to see much better than it.

There's a point in series 2 where their audiences are really getting it and beginning to contribute to this overall fantastic shared atmosphere where it felt like they were part of a small part of people privileged to be in on some genuine lunacy. Herring details some of it on the Fist of Fun blog - https://www.fistoffun.net/display.php?page=episodeguides/tmwrnj0205.php

They're also at a stage where there are like 2 catchphrases per minute for a 45 minute show. I played this to my Canadian friend who has never seen it before and she was laughing at stuff like "my dad says Doritos and he should know" and "SMASH THE BARBEQUE" and the crap attempt at choral singing Herring does when they crown the king (or queen).

And as the series develops, there's that brilliant sense of contamination where watching regularly and being part of the club pays off - where sketches bleed into each other and start to become affected by the world they're creating (ie. the Lettuce Family end up in the Jesus sketches, the way the subtle digs at marketing lead up to the glory of the cress special).

In this sense it's a proper inheritor of the Monty Python mantle, much more than Eddie Izzard ever was. I really love when things that seem like they're off-the-cuff reveal a design structure and overall sense of an idea. I don't know if they planned Nostradamus as a long-running romance, but it worked for me.

It's more daring and successfully satirical than any BBC production that I can think of in the last 15 years (even This Time was relatively tame), it has more of an authentic oddness, and yet I think there's more intelligence and structure than initially meets the eye.

I only started to like Histor's Eye this time around, too! What a berk I've been.

My favourite bit was always the Robbie Williams tattoo or anything that signalled that "Richard Herring" was in fact going mad.

Odd sidebar: I have still not seen all of Fist of Fun and, what I have seen, I don't like it nearly as much.

thr0b

Fist of Fun isn't at good, and they themselves didn't like the second series

TV, I mean.

I'd go with TMWRNJ being their peak as a double act.

Senior Baiano

I think during the FoF/Radio 1 era they weren't helped by the determination to market them as the new Newman and Baddiel, comedy for cool kids. Whereas they were always a nerd concern really. By the time of TMWRNJ, that idea was dead in the water, which seemed to give them a lot more freedom to be the deeply maladjusted clowns they truly are.

McDead

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 10, 2024, 12:26:58 PMI think during the FoF/Radio 1 era they weren't helped by the determination to market them as the new Newman and Baddiel, comedy for cool kids. Whereas they were always a nerd concern really. By the time of TMWRNJ, that idea was dead in the water, which seemed to give them a lot more freedom to be the deeply maladjusted clowns they truly are.

This idea was so persistent at the time that when the BBC adapted Iain Banks' The Crow Road, they changed a reference to a vogueish comedy duo from Newman and Baddiel (as in the book) to Lee and Herring. Seems mad now.

Senior Baiano

Ferris

Chuckled out loud being reminded of the "my dad says [pronunciation] and he should know".

Doritos, Danbert nob-acorn, just wall to wall hits.

sevendaughters

the funniest line that I didn't remember from last time around was "THE JIMMY SAVILE TROLLEY OF ATHLETICS AND DEATH"

Tags: