Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whoops Acopalypse

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, June 09, 2024, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Do you remember this TV series?  What did you think of it?

Stinky Lomax

My dad had the reworked movie on VHS, but I wasn't aware until an idle nostalgic google a short while ago that a tv series even existed. I watched it at a point when it was late enough that I recognised Richard Wilson, Rik Mayall and Michael Richards, but I was too young to appreciate the satire. I remember enjoying the broader stuff from Mayall and Richards, and finding Peter Cook's mad murderous PM genuinely unsettling..!

Warning: this poster has a history of starting discussion threads about show with a slightly different title than the real ones before turning up later to post 'Haha you stupid dickheads, you're all talking about Whoops Apocalypse but my thread is about Whoops Acopalypse.

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on June 09, 2024, 05:58:49 PMWarning: this poster has a history of starting discussion threads about show with a slightly different title than the real ones before turning up later to post 'Haha you stupid dickheads, you're all talking about Whoops Apocalypse but my thread is about Whoops Acopalypse.

No, you have the wrong poster.  That is not something I do generally.  In this specific case, I have made an unintentional error.

As a matter of interest, who is the poster that practises the species of japery set forth by Miss Bronte?

Apologies. Can't remember who it was now, but they were banned when Barry realised they'd been deliberately transposing the letter d at the beginning and end of a word. Dad's Army, Pete and Dud, The Ken Dodd Laughter Show, Drop the Dead Donkey and Desmond's were a few of the thread titles that people got taken in by.

dontpaintyourteeth

Shaxberd

Whoops Acopalypse: rejected working title for Disco Elysium

Anyway, no, I have not seen this but would like to as it combines my long standing fascinations with 80s comedy and Cold War nuclear dread. I see that good old couchtripper has uploaded it on Dailymotion so give me a week or two and I'll be back.

Side note - has anyone been able to find the sort of similarly-but-worse-named failed American sitcom Woops! (the exclamation mark is part of the name) about survivors of a nuclear war? Always thought that would be a fun double bill with Whoops Apocalypse, and from the synopses I've found online it sounds fascinatingly terrible, from the concept onwards.

They've got the whole series, each episode end-to-end, on YouTube.  I've just reached the 30-minute mark and bless me if they've not got Rik Mayall as a guitarist with the US president's election campaign team.

Shaxberd

I watched the first episode yesterday. Didn't get any big laughs out of me but I liked the gag with the Soviet premier being replaced by a double. The grim opening sequence with what I assume is a model of a ruined city is also rather fabulous. Will definitely watch the rest, the style and tone really feels of a piece with other 80s comedy like  Spitting Image, The Comic Strip Presents and so on.

jamiefairlie

Yeah I loved it, it was great. The ever dying Soviet Premiers being replaced on the fly, the Shah of Iran, the mental PM with Geoffrey Palmer and that wee Welsh guy as his long suffering colleagues.

I still quote: "ho ho ho, in Russia we have dozens of steaks, ho ho ho"

The same guys did Hot Metal if I'm not mistaken.

neveragain

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 11, 2024, 06:39:51 PMThe same guys did Hot Metal if I'm not mistaken.

Those guys being - if you don't know - David Renwick (One Foot In The Grave, Jonathan Creek) and Andrew Marshall (2.4 Children), also jointly responsible for wonderfully odd and inventive radio-then-TV sketch show The Burkiss Way/End of Part One.

I'd forgotten John Cleese was in it.

Beelog

I'd never heard about it til now, but I now know the inspiration behind the Viz strip Whoops Aisle Apocalypse.

I've just finished my rewatch.  With the ending, I got some vibes of the ending to the fourth Blackadder series, though they deflate it by going back to the original, jaunty theme tune for the closing credits.

jamiefairlie

There was a constant uneasy undertone running through the whole thing.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 15, 2024, 06:20:30 PMI've just finished my rewatch.  With the ending, I got some vibes of the ending to the fourth Blackadder series, though they deflate it by going back to the original, jaunty theme tune for the closing credits.

Really? On its first television screening, the closing credits of the last episode rolled while the more sombre tune from the first part of the opening credits played in its presumably full version.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 15, 2024, 06:45:19 PMThere was a constant uneasy undertone running through the whole thing.
The music and the countdown-to-doom captions helped sell that.

John Cleese was the best thing in this, helped by all of his bits being filmed on location instead of taped before a studio audience.

(That might look zany and madcap if you've not seen it, but trust me it works in context.)

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 15, 2024, 06:50:46 PMReally? On its first television screening, the closing credits of the last episode rolled while the more sombre tune from the first part of the opening credits played in its presumably full version.

Perhaps they changed it for the version I watched, which is on YouTube.

jamiefairlie

From memory was it not just the presidents wife?

robprosser

Quote from: neveragain on June 11, 2024, 07:22:06 PMThose guys being - if you don't know - David Renwick (One Foot In The Grave, Jonathan Creek) and Andrew Marshall (2.4 Children), also jointly responsible for wonderfully odd and inventive radio-then-TV sketch show The Burkiss Way/End of Part One.
Also on board for Alexei Sayle's Stuff. Whoops Apocalypse also had an excellent tie-in book by them.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 15, 2024, 10:35:41 PMFrom memory was it not just the presidents wife?

It's a photo of President Cyclops and his wife, who
Spoiler alert
is the lady selling the Mushrooms in the post-apocalyptic opening sequence. So, despite the open ending of the last episode with Cyclops finally springing into action, it's made clear that nuclear war does break out.
[close]

damien

There's a really good, really funny episode of Alexei Sayle's podcast which has a pretty lengthy chat with the two writers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p37NouERK5I

Tags: