Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 05:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Delightful Sausage

Started by dumpster, June 14, 2024, 08:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumpster

I was searching the forum for mentions of The Delightful Sausage and the reaction to them seems overwhelmingly positive in the few references I saw but I thought they should have their own thread.

I'd stumbled across their show, Cold Hard Cache, on a free comedy channel on Plex, all the strong language edited out very heavy handedly, but the show won me over very quickly despite being almost ruined by one person in the audience laughing way too loudly and being a distraction.  Cold Hard Cache is on YouTube (in full, no censored language) for £3 and it's great.

I think that was their first Edinburgh show to be filmed. The follow up is Nowt But Sea and can be watched for free on YouTube and it's great too. There's a section where Chris goes off topic talking about chopsticks which I genuinely think is one of the funniest bits of comedy I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/lFu-De_kBZk?si=EkDe0XpnibRz1G1G

The third show is also available for free on YouTube.  In my opinion it's the funniest one of the lot.  Ginsters Paradise really does show off Amy Gledhill's comedy and theatrical skills, and Chris Cantrill's incredible delivery. The rules for your holiday had me in stitches. "Remember, this is a holiday from work and from the stress and strains of daily life. NOT from wiping your arsehole".

https://youtu.be/0KZCA0SbsJk?si=G1oKtA11aA2HubfF

It puts me in mind of the first time I saw The Young Ones, the League of Gentlemen, Vic and Bob.  It's like a style of comedy that nobody else is doing. It's completely absurd and you never know where the next joke is coming from. I feel a bit like I've missed out coming into the party so late. Amy and Chris are now doing stand-up and they're both excellent at it but they don't seem to be doing this double act anymore and it's a shame because I think it's wonderful.

DrGreggles

Yes, they're brilliant, and still very much working together and well as doing solo stuff.

I think there was meant to be new Sausage at the Fringe, but the new show became this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vm5m/episodes/player

Hopefully a new show will be next year now.

They did a live version of the radio show at Machynlleth last month which was great.
Spoiler alert
There was a very gossipy line in that show that I won't post publicly in case it was just a joke but any DS fans who want to know more can message me.
[close]

I assumed they'd go on to do it elsewhere but it doesn't look like anything's been announced. Amy's going on tour later in the year so maybe they'll return after that. Though her new show's brilliant and I think she's only a Taskmaster booking away from becoming a proper theatre-filling star. Here's hoping she still finds time to do stuff with Chris.

CaledonianGonzo

I think the order of the shows is

Cold Hard Cache
Regeneration Game
Ginsters Paradise
Nowt But Sea

No idea if Regeneration Game was filmed at all.

Was a patron for a bit until my statements started looking busy (and Amy was the voice of Asda's Xmas 2022 campaign).

Love them, saw them on Harry Hill's Clubnite first, then my most favourite content is their Tiredness Kills podcast which is wonderfully gross and star studded.

Depending on the platform the muckyness and vulgarity varies greatly.

Also try Amy's Lovely Time podcast. There's something weird going on with their podcast feeds at the moment which I'm worried is because of the recent BBC series and some kind of bowlderisation of their more lewd back catalogue?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 14, 2024, 08:28:16 AMAmy's going on tour later in the year so maybe they'll return after that. Though her new show's brilliant and I think she's only a Taskmaster booking away from becoming a proper theatre-filling star.

On the night I went to see her last tour show Nicola Sturgeon was in the audience..

DrGreggles

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 14, 2024, 08:28:16 AMThey did a live version of the radio show at Machynlleth last month which was great.
Spoiler alert
There was a very gossipy line in that show that I won't post publicly in case it was just a joke but any DS fans who want to know more can message me.
[close]

I think that was going to be the basis for the next Sausage Fringe show, so fingers crossed.

They're both doing solo WiPs in Leeds on the 29th, which I hope to get to.

iamcoop

Yep, love them. I've mentioned it a few times before but Chris is one of those people that could make me laugh just by reading the phonebook. I just find him effortlessly funny.

I saw the full finished show of Ginsters and absolutely loved it. I then saw them do an incredibly early WIP of Nowt But Sea to about 4 people in a room above a pub. That was great as well. I really need to check out the finished version of that. I got them to sign a poster for me after that and Chris seemed to be so disgusted at the idea of someone asking for his autograph it almost stopped being funny and became awkward.

edwardfog

It's a shame Regeneration Game was never filmed. It wasn't quite on the level of Ginster's Paradise but it had some great stuff in it

edwardfog

Tiredness Kills was great but I think I like Icklewick FM even better

Northern News and Rural Concerns are both very good too, although I think Amy's figured out solo performing a little better than Chris so far

billyandthecloneasaurus

I'm sure it's/they're great but it's got such an appalling name that suggests it's the absolute worst kind of zany shit.

dumpster

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on June 14, 2024, 02:21:22 PMI'm sure it's/they're great but it's got such an appalling name that suggests it's the absolute worst kind of zany shit.

Try watching it and see what you think.

Chris Cantrill is doing WIP stand up in preparation for Edinburgh.  I didn't get to see it (didn't realise he was there until I arrived) but the sound of the audience roaring with laughter suggests I really missed out.

DrGreggles

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on June 14, 2024, 02:21:22 PMI'm sure it's/they're great but it's got such an appalling name that suggests it's the absolute worst kind of zany shit.

The name (and associated photo with Amy dressed as a hotdog) made me similarly dismissive of them as wacky cunts.
They were on between 2 other Fringe shows at the same venue that I was going to see, so I went to see them out of laziness and to prove myself right.
I was wrong...

Someone (the guardian maybe) described them as being similar to the League of Gentlemen, which is more accurate than most occasions the comparison is applied.

The biggest difference really is that they're comedians not actors, but all the working class, violent, weird, kinky, tawdry worldbuilding is there.

Can't forget this classic, some great subtle editing jokes among the buckets of cum.

madhair60

could someone link me to the specific timecode where one of them says or does something that's funny and should in theory get a laugh

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2024, 06:38:21 PMcould someone link me to the specific timecode where one of them says or does something that's funny and should in theory get a laugh

iamcoop

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2024, 06:38:21 PMcould someone link me to the specific timecode where one of them says or does something that's funny and should in theory get a laugh

Bit tiresome this isn't it?

madhair60

i'm serious, just like any particularly good bit that you enjoy and makes you laugh out loud. never heard of these people before and i've got to start somewhere, the videos posted so far seem like they're for the versed, so to speak, and most people in this thread are knowledgeable of them already so i need an "in" point

iamcoop

dumpster

Chris just tweeted me, that Regeneration Game was filmed after all.

"but sadly the person recording it just ghosted us. We eventually got our money back but never the files. Weird and sad. Hopefully in the future we could do summat about it."

Kickstarter?

dumpster

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2024, 06:54:43 PMi'm serious, just like any particularly good bit that you enjoy and makes you laugh out loud. never heard of these people before and i've got to start somewhere, the videos posted so far seem like they're for the versed, so to speak, and most people in this thread are knowledgeable of them already so i need an "in" point

I'll take the bait.  skip to 14 minutes in, and watch as Chris goes off topic completely..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFu-De_kBZk

The story is they are trapped on an island, and Chris thinks it's OK that he threw the oars away because you get another pair.  Amy say's he's thinking of Chopsticks, and Chris goes massively off topic for 4 minutes. 

madhair60

Quote from: dumpster on June 14, 2024, 07:29:56 PMI'll take the bait.  skip to 14 minutes in, and watch as Chris goes off topic completely..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFu-De_kBZk

The story is they are trapped on an island, and Chris thinks it's OK that he threw the oars away because you get another pair.  Amy say's he's thinking of Chopsticks, and Chris goes massively off topic for 4 minutes. 

thanks - this is funny, but weirdly it's not making me laugh much via youtube, i think i'm gonna try and see them live because i'm pretty sure if i was in the room i'd be pissing myself.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2024, 06:54:43 PMi'm serious, just like any particularly good bit that you enjoy and makes you laugh out loud. never heard of these people before and i've got to start somewhere, the videos posted so far seem like they're for the versed, so to speak, and most people in this thread are knowledgeable of them already so i need an "in" point

Have you given Tiredness Kills a go? At least a couple of episodes or three in order from the start.

It hooked me good and proper on them, think I prefer it to Icklewick FM, possibly because it's not R4 suitable.

Really enjoyed both of them on Beef and Dairy as well.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 14, 2024, 07:38:09 PMI prefer it to Icklewick FM, possibly because it's not R4 suitable.

Completely agree, It's not as good if we can't have Jake Yapp jizzing into his cupped hand.

By the way, did anyone manage to get a recording of the one-off thing they did for Radio 2's festival of funny? It completely disappeared after a week.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 14, 2024, 04:52:36 PMThe name (and associated photo with Amy dressed as a hotdog) made me similarly dismissive of them as wacky cunts.
They were on between 2 other Fringe shows at the same venue that I was going to see, so I went to see them out of laziness and to prove myself right.
I was wrong...

TBH Regeneration Game didn't click with me. Then I had a ticket for Ginsters Paradise that I wound up skipping due to laziness / hangover.

Nowt But Sea however was a slam dunk.  One of those event comedy shows that just kills in the room.

dumpster

For those too mean to buy Cold Hard Cache for £3 on Youtube, it's available on Youtube Music as audio only.

Ja'moke

I went to sixth form college with Amy Gledhill. Not much to add, other than she was always big into comedy and it's ace to see her continued success. Played a great minor role in Alma's Not Normal too.

Tiggles

In a subset of TDS news, Amy Gledhill's C4 comedy blap "Toads" is now up on YouTube. And it's brill.

I hope that counts as a pilot. Excellent casting of Rosie Cavaliero, also Sam O'Leary wearing his actual glasses

Tags: