Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 06:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

We Are Lady Parts season 2

Started by dissolute ocelot, June 15, 2024, 02:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

This has been streaming on Channel 4 for a couple of weeks. The first series was a joy, I thought. It communicated the fun of starting a band, writing songs, and performing, and added to that the difficulty of doing all that in a Muslim community that wasn't totalitarian but featured a fair bit of doubt and negativity from friends and relatives. As someone with a lot of time for girl punk bands and who knows a lot of musicians and scenesters (not Muslim performers but certainly fairly amateurish ones), it was a show that was tailor made for me.

I've just finished watching Season 2 which seemed a bit darker/less funny but still interesting, ambitious, and well-made. It did seem that the creator/lead writer Nida Manzoor had a lot of questions but fewer answers, about how to keep your principles and still afford food and housing, with a lot of things left open. It's easier to start a band than to keep one going.

(Mild spoilers follow)

Spoiler alert
While series 1 was a lot of fun, series 2 felt more comedy-drama than comedy, with parts that weren't funny and didn't try to be, while throwing in light relief and comedy running-around or breaking things and falling over now and then. There was some slightly forced but amusing "get the band fighting" stuff, and rom-com stuff which was cute but seemed at times a bit genre-cliche compared to the more realistic stuff about dealing with rival bands and the record industry and staying true to you (cause that's what punkas do, etc).

Maybe trying to squeeze a bit too much in - there were other subplots that would have benefited from more development and some that kind of fizzled out. White people exoticising Muslims, Bisma struggling with being both black and a Muslim, a lesbian coming out subplot, relationships between different generations of performers (including Meera Syal as an older Muslim artist), jealousy of other bands, influencers and social media, lots of issues. Sometimes resolved in slapstick comedy, other times in more expressionistic ways. As well as featuring some other talented rappers and singers who deserved more screen time.

There was even an attempt to deconstruct the first series and the band's cute, unthreatening "Funny Muslim Songs" (title of one episode of season 2) and how maybe they should be writing songs about war and Muslims dying. (This was not handled in a very humorous way, instead more horror-film - although a comedy should be able to make jokes about that.)

Will it continue to series 3? While watching people in recording studios is fundamentally boring, there's a lot still to explore, and should be lots of comedy in the reality of being a not-hugely-successful band juggling day-to-day lives with performing.
[close]

Any other fans on here? Or thoughts on the show?

Lipglossed

I did see the first series of this. Was good, I thought.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This took a while. The first series was about three years ago, wasn't it? I'm guessing it was delayed by covid.

I remember liking the first series. I subsequently joined a feminist punk band, so I wonder if I'll have extra laughs of recognition. I should watch it with my bandmates.

ajsmith2

All Channel 4 comedy shows these days feel like they're trying to cram the plot comedy, character development and thematic content that a 22 episode US season would contain into 6 episodes, this being no exception.

dead-ced-dead

Late to this, but I just binged both seasons. There's some pacing issues, as mentioned above by trying to cram plotlines from five lead characters into twelve twenty-two minute episodes, but was otherwise delightful.

Season two ups the dark stuff, but I appreciated the magical realist touches whenever the ladies are working through moments of anxiety. One that was particularly effective was in season two when one of the band members is trying to write a song that's more serious, with lyrics "I will sing about the war" but anytime she tries to say "war", she gets thrown against the wall and her mouth has a censor bar go over it.

The rom-com elements were a bit forced, but I am a SUCKER for rom-coms. I also liked that the parents were often the ones nudging the ladies to take risks, which subverts the strict Muslim parent trope, and I imagine this is closer to how a lot of Muslim parents, especially in cities like London, actually are and not how panicked, hand wringing Islamophobia portray them.

curiousoranges

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 17, 2024, 08:43:53 PMI remember liking the first series. I subsequently joined a feminist punk band, so I wonder if I'll have extra laughs of recognition. I should watch it with my bandmates.

I thought you were a bloke. Were you their Man Corr?

I really enjoyed Series 1, but have struggled a bit with getting into this series.

Just watched a clip of the new songs (I caught the country and western one one night ... OK) and

QuoteOne that was particularly effective was in season two when one of the band members is trying to write a song that's more serious, with lyrics "I will sing about the war" but anytime she tries to say "war", she gets thrown against the wall and her mouth has a censor bar go over it.

is really effective. Music has gone up a level this time around, maybe they've moved on from Queen.

QuoteI also liked that the parents were often the ones nudging the ladies to take risks, which subverts the strict Muslim parent trope, and I imagine this is closer to how a lot of Muslim parents, especially in cities like London, actually are and not how panicked, hand wringing Islamophobia portray them.

Agree with this, both in how the older characters are played in the series and also my experiences with my students' parents.

Will give it another go.

Tags: