Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 10:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tick (1994, 2001, 2016 and beyond)

Started by madhair60, June 16, 2024, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

been into The Tick lately. Any fans here? The 2001 series is really funny, as is the cartoon. But I haven't seen the 2016 show yet, is that worth watching?

Tick fans.

Stinky Lomax

I'm  a big fan of the cartoon and I enjoyed the 2001 show (it wasn't perfect and didn't get much of a chance to grow into itself but it was fun and Warburton and Carbonell were great). I really wanted to like the 2016 show, as a fan of not only The Tick but Serafinowicz and Newman, but I just did not find it funny at all. I get the impression I'm in the minority amongst Tick and comedy fans, though, so it's probably worth giving it a try for a couple of episodes at least...

The Mollusk

I should rewatch the original series some time, I remember enjoying it a lot. The Dinosaur Neil episode is particularly great. I love the elaborate setup of the scientist trying to get Neil into a giant pair of trousers in an attempt to domesticate him back to being human, only for lightning to strike and set them ablaze just so he can scream "Liar! Liar! PANTS ON FIRE!"

Also the bit where Neil triggers his dinosaur transformation by eating the science experiment instead of his lunch and Tick insensitively goes "Bad move, Neil!" comes into my head whenever I see someone make a simple mistake.

thr0b

The Serafinowicz series is good fun, but feels oddly cheap. Not in a deliberate way - more in the way you might expect an Australian production of the show to be. Or something produced by the Comedy Unit in Scotland. It's just a bit off.

letsgobrian

I think each iteration of the Tick is better than the last, so yes watch the most recent version.

I loved the animated series but haven't rewatched it since I guess it was first on in the UK, or at least some time in the mid 90s. I watched the 2001 series but don't remember as much about it as the animated series. I haven't seen the 2016 series. I also have an issue of the comic which I assume predates the animated series; I'm not usually much of a comics person but this was a present from my sister based on our shared liking of the animated series.

It's interesting that it's a superhero parody dating from a time when, although Batman and Superman were pretty big, the superhero genre wasn't such a big phenomenon as it is now (or was a few years ago, maybe it's fading a bit now). As a parody it was probably appealing to more of a niche audience, although when I was watching the animated series I was enjoying it just for being funny without having seen anything past a bit of Batman and Superman. I see from Wikipedia that the character started as a mascot for a chain of comic shops so that would have been a more superhero-savvy crowd. Perhaps the more recent superhero craze was an impetus for the 2016 series. Have there been other superhero parodies? I guess the genre subverts its conventions a fair bit anyway without needing whole series or characters that are outright parodies.

neveragain

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on June 16, 2024, 06:58:58 PMHave there been other superhero parodies?

The film Mystery Men.
The series The Boys.
Also, another series called Extraordinary.
Presumably more.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on June 16, 2024, 06:58:58 PMI loved the animated series but haven't rewatched it since I guess it was first on in the UK, or at least some time in the mid 90s. I watched the 2001 series but don't remember as much about it as the animated series. I haven't seen the 2016 series. I also have an issue of the comic which I assume predates the animated series; I'm not usually much of a comics person but this was a present from my sister based on our shared liking of the animated series.

It's interesting that it's a superhero parody dating from a time when, although Batman and Superman were pretty big, the superhero genre wasn't such a big phenomenon as it is now (or was a few years ago, maybe it's fading a bit now). As a parody it was probably appealing to more of a niche audience, although when I was watching the animated series I was enjoying it just for being funny without having seen anything past a bit of Batman and Superman. I see from Wikipedia that the character started as a mascot for a chain of comic shops so that would have been a more superhero-savvy crowd. Perhaps the more recent superhero craze was an impetus for the 2016 series. Have there been other superhero parodies? I guess the genre subverts its conventions a fair bit anyway without needing whole series or characters that are outright parodies.

The context for The Tick is the post-TMNT black & white comic boom. Arguably The Tick was the only real success in a sea of chancers, and once he made the jump to TV, creator Ben Edlund had little inclination to carry on the comics.

seepage

Love the cartoon. Serafinowicz didn't/couldn't do the same deep, sonorous voice that makes it.

re: other parodies, what's the one where the hero is now an alchoholic and is swaying around on top of a mountain with bottle in hand in the opening credits?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: seepage on June 26, 2024, 07:49:54 PMLove the cartoon. Serafinowicz didn't/couldn't do the same deep, sonorous voice that makes it.

re: other parodies, what's the one where the hero is now an alchoholic and is swaying around on top of a mountain with bottle in hand in the opening credits?

The Return Of Captain Invincible, which is another film which only seems available to watch via a dodgy Russian streaming site: https://ok.ru/video/1676682594872 - though you can see Christopher Lee's incredibly weird (but funny) song on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9se8i4ujs

Quote from: seepage on June 26, 2024, 07:49:54 PMre: other parodies, what's the one where the hero is now an alchoholic and is swaying around on top of a mountain with bottle in hand in the opening credits?
Not sure if it's got that scene (probably not if SMBH has identified it) but Hancock has an alcoholic superhero.

Senior Baiano

Lol bit on the nose for a uk audience eh what

seepage

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 26, 2024, 08:25:18 PMThe Return Of Captain Invincible, which is another film which only seems available to watch via a dodgy Russian streaming site: https://ok.ru/video/1676682594872 - though you can see Christopher Lee's incredibly weird (but funny) song on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9se8i4ujs

Many thanks, that's the one. Part of the scene on the mountain top [presumably a stunt man not Arkin?] is in the trailer on imdb   

Oh, Nobody

The last Edlund Tick comic ends perfectly- The Tick has become a 'proper' big city superhero with branded gadgets and whatnot, and a team of arch enemies OH HERE THEY ARE RIGHT NOW TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HIM. TUNE IN NEXT TIME.

Of course some years later they got two random guys to actually make that next issue, and it were shite.

Both live action versions more or less fine, Patrick Warburton was a producer on the Serafinowicz version and I kinda hoped he'd pop up as Barry, the other Tick, at some point.

Tags: