Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:33:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

Started by Lipglossed, June 18, 2024, 12:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipglossed

Feels like such a different show these days. I went to a recording recently, and it was pretty good, lots of anarchic fun. But you wonder how long it can go for.

Jack Dee and John Naismith are obviously the core of the show, and then of course there's always Colin Sell (and Sven and Samantha). But it just strikes me that so much of the internal core of the programme has now passed away.

Humphrey Lyttleton, Barry Cryer, Willie Rushton, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Jeremy Hardy, Iain Pattinson, Linda Smith and Victoria Wood are all no longer living. I feel especially bad for Graeme Garden, who's lost all of these people whom he used to work with on basically a weekly basis (especially the first five).

The vibe of old-men-ageing-disgracefully has gone. I still love ISIHAC but if anything it feels like a tribute to the old panellists, when you listen to it.

Everything has its sell-by-date of course, and they've done really well to keep it going so far and so fresh (although they seem to particularly rely on some of the same people these days, like Rory Bremner and Pippa Evans)

Gurke and Hare

I heard a bit of it at the weekend, and it was good except for fucking Rory Bremners. You don't have to do an impression every time you speak Rory. Anything Rory Bremners satirical should be nowhere near ISIHAC.

jobotic

Need some fresh young talent. Get Matt Forde on there.

Jittlebags

As long as they still do jokes about Samantha's tits and Lionel getting covered in jizz.

Lipglossed

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 18, 2024, 07:55:56 AMI heard a bit of it at the weekend, and it was good except for fucking Rory Bremners. You don't have to do an impression every time you speak Rory. Anything Rory Bremners satirical should be nowhere near ISIHAC.
I was at the recording of that one. I think the show is sometimes written around anticipating Rory doing impressions when he's on (especially Trump). I don't know, I think he's funny enough without that.

Best bit Bremner did was at the start when he told the audience an old Jeremy Hardy joke to warm us up...

QuoteA man gets on the sleeper train from London to Glasgow. He goes to his compartment and he's taken aback when he opens the door and there's a woman already in there.

"Aren't these same-sex compartments?" he asks the attendant. The attendant explains that they are usually, but when the woman booked it was the last bed available on the train.
"I don't mind sharing", she says, "if you don't mind". And the man says, "no that's fine, I don't mind at all." He asks her which bunk she'd prefer, and she takes the bottom bunk.

The train pulls away from London. The man is settling into bed in his top bunk. He asks the woman: "I'm sorry, would you mind passing up that blanket from the chair down there?"

The woman replies: "Look... this train doesn't stop until it gets to Glasgow... we've got all night, and it's just us... why don't we play at being 'husbands and wives'?"

"I wasn't expecting this!" says the man. "Well absolutely, I mean I'm game if you are!"

"OK," says the woman, "you can get you OWN fucking blanket."

Petey Pate

I lost interest in listening to it after Humphrey Lyttleton died and am even less fussed about it now all of the original regular panelists are gone. Think my fondness for it in those years came from listening to it with my parents, and also naively thinking that most of the show was genuinely improvised.

While Jack Dee's comedy persona made him a logical replacement, much of the humour really did come from the host being and sounding as old as he was, which I also think did a lot to soften the numerous jokes about 'Samantha' and Lionel Blair from seeming too mean-spirited.

There was one awkward series in 2009 made after Lyttleton's death where Stephen Fry and Rob Brydon sat in the host chair for two episodes each. As expected, neither were really right for the role.

They should've knocked it on the head when Humph died, he's irreplaceable (i recall there was some discussion about it at the time). If they were going to plough on with it, i reckon Nick Hewer would've made a decent replacement. Dee is ok, but he does "withering" in the wrong kind of way for ISIHAC, somehow.

Kankurette

I was never a big fan, but agreed it's not the same without Lyttelton (or Rushton for that matter).

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 18, 2024, 11:51:36 PMThey should've knocked it on the head when Humph died, he's irreplaceable (i recall there was some discussion about it at the time). If they were going to plough on with it, i reckon Nick Hewer would've made a decent replacement. Dee is ok, but he does "withering" in the wrong kind of way for ISIHAC, somehow.
Put down your pen, Mrs Trellis.

DrGreggles

I think Dee did OK (even though I was one of the 'there's no show without Humph' brigade), and still went to a few recordings with him as host.
Losing Tim, Barry and Jeremy has pretty much killed any enthusiasm I have for it though, and the last one I heard didn't even feel like the same show.
Actually that's probably what they should do; a 'new' semi-scripted silly panel show, with a new title.

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on June 19, 2024, 07:56:29 AMPut down your pen, Mrs Trellis.

No-one is irreplaceable, not even the irreplaceable.

neveragain

kalowski

Quote from: Lipglossed on June 18, 2024, 12:58:15 PM.

Best bit Bremner did was at the start when he told the audience an old Jeremy Hardy joke to warm us up...

When I went to a recording the warm up gags were the best thing.
Quotea man went to a job interview. Near the end the interviewer asked, "What are your areas for development?"
The man replied, "People tell me I'm too honest."
"I don't think of that as an issue."
"I don't give a fuck what you think "
Jack Dee told a Jeremy Hardy joke:
QuoteA man was being examined by his doctor. The doctor said to him, "You're going to have to stop masturbating."
"Why?" asked the man.
"Because I'm trying to examine you."

letsgobrian

Quote from: neveragain on June 19, 2024, 02:09:06 PMDoes Graeme still do it?

The impression I get from recent show booking is it has to be a London show for him to be able to do it. So last time was in 2022, but he managed 6 shows that year.

He still does a lot of the writing tho, as I understand it.

gilbertharding

It's been I'm Sorry It's Smug Pricks Showing Off for a while now. Too many people who can actually sing, for one thing.

Even when it was good, it was on the tightrope of being ruined by the kinds of Colin Hunts who, presumably, populated the BBC ISIHAC Forum when the BBC still had forums, who seemed to think that the 'games' were actual games and tried to play them - not seeming to realise that if you had no actual wit, the results would not be funny - the kinds of people who cheer as if they'd heard a glass being dropped in a cafe when Mornington Crescent was announced.

May as well listen to Just a Fucking Minute now that Tony Hawks is on both shows.

Scarymole

Quote from: Lipglossed on June 18, 2024, 12:57:01 AMHumphrey Lyttleton, Barry Cryer, Willie Rushton, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Jeremy Hardy, Iain Pattinson, Linda Smith and Victoria Wood are all no longer living. I feel especially bad for Graeme Garden, who's lost all of these people whom he used to work with on basically a weekly basis (especially the first five).
Victoria Wood only did a couple of recordings, right at the end of her life, her first was the first after Humph died with Stephen Fry as host.

It is a very different show now, there's presumably been some sort of planning for how to transition the casting, but with Tim and Iain departing earlier than expected. It needs to settle down to a smaller set of regular panelists

It still has some good moments, the first two episodes of the most recent (Summer 2024) series were very funny.

DrGreggles

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 20, 2024, 01:55:36 PMIt's been I'm Sorry It's Smug Pricks Showing Off for a while now. Too many people who can actually sing, for one thing.

That does miss the point.
The glory of one Jeremy Hardy 'song' is worth a thousand in-tune attempts.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Scarymole on June 20, 2024, 02:36:16 PMIt still has some good moments...

The very least you'd expect, given that they employ actual professional comedians. *grumble grumble*