Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 01:08:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Started by Mobius, May 04, 2022, 03:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 31, 2022, 09:19:25 AMI think it's best to think of him as a kind of goofy uncle who you grow to learn is actually cooler than you thought. Yeah, in the surface it's the parody songs, but some of them have more to them than others, then there's things like the ridiculous grossness and violence in UHF, the awesome music vid he directed for Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, playing various weirdos for Tim & Eric, jamming with the Roots on an MF Doom cover, joining Reggie Watts and Kid Cudi as bandleader on CBB, being chosen by Godspeed You Black Emperor to play their ATP. And now getting Harry Potter to follow up playing a farting corpse with a boner and a horse fucker to play you in a fake biopic. At some point you just got to give it up for the guy.

Now that this is becoming a general appreciation of Weird Al thread, I really like his cover of George Harrison's What is Life.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Got to second his style parodies in particular showcasing his genuine musical talent.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

IIIIII'll nab cabbage and do plant damage
I'mma masticate the crops I take
You can't grow carrots while I'm in here
Now my bunny ears cause your bunny fears so
While you re-seed and wonder why
Your farm's in ruins, corn has all died
Holes in sod, missing cabb-age
I'm telling you it's rabbitage

samadriel

Quote from: lazyhour on August 30, 2022, 08:01:51 PMWeird Al sceptics might get more from his genre/band parody songs, where he writes his own tunes as affectionate, well-observed parodies of other artists.

Good examples (though YMMV):
Genius In France (Zappa parody)
Dare To Be Stupid (Devo parody)
Everything You Know Is Wrong (They Might Be Giants parody)

I suppose a criticism of his band parodies is that you might not get much from them if you don't have a decent knowledge of the source artists.

Dog Eat Dog is a terrific Talking Heads parody.

evilcommiedictator

This song is better than most of the jokes in the film

Mister Six

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 30, 2022, 02:48:20 AMOh I get it now, it's a parody of a Weird Al Biopic.
No Fat Al yet though...

It looks fun, but hasn't this basically been down in that John C. Reilly Walk the Line parody?

EOLAN

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2022, 12:25:22 PMI enjoyed UHF, but his actual songs are almost all shit. You get the joke in the first ten seconds (or, just from the title), then it just carries on for another three minutes.

I find a lot of his songs more relatable and enjoyable on a non-humorous level than standard pop-songs. Also find them maybe more amusing than laugh out loud funny.

I found his mashed up MTV interview with celebrities to be hilarious though.

TheQueensboroBridge

I always wondered who went out and purchased 'One Week' by the Barenaked Ladies. I now have my answer.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2022, 05:15:30 PMIt looks fun, but hasn't this basically been down in that John C. Reilly Walk the Line parody?

It is similar but I think because it is a real life person there are extra things it can play with that makes it different enough to be worthwhile

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2022, 05:15:30 PMIt looks fun, but hasn't this basically been down in that John C. Reilly Walk the Line parody?

Depressingly, Walk Hard is now 15 years old, which is at least two generations of movie viewers. It'd be like telling a teenager in 1990 that Young Frankenstein was the best comedy film ever... oh wait, it is. Shit.

TheMonk

It's the attention to detail, innit?
For example the bit in Bad where Jackson says "I'm smooth" for some reason instead of "I'm bad" and in that bit in Fat, Weird Al says "I'm huge".
Or the ascending guitar solo in Beat It that ends in Eat It with the guitar exploding. Lovely moments.

famethrowa

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2022, 12:25:22 PMI enjoyed UHF, but his actual songs are almost all shit. You get the joke in the first ten seconds (or, just from the title), then it just carries on for another three minutes.

Counterpoint:

famethrowa

Quote from: lazyhour on August 30, 2022, 08:01:51 PMWeird Al sceptics might get more from his genre/band parody songs, where he writes his own tunes as affectionate, well-observed parodies of other artists.

Good examples (though YMMV):
Genius In France (Zappa parody)
Dare To Be Stupid (Devo parody)
Everything You Know Is Wrong (They Might Be Giants parody)

I'm frustrated by Genius In France, it hits all the right Zappa notes but it's way too long. The TMBG one is good and it's amusing that the accordion playing is much better than TMBG could manage. There's also a Ben Folds parody, but it's got Ben actually playing the piano on it, is that allowed?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: famethrowa on September 06, 2022, 12:58:34 PMThere's also a Ben Folds parody, but it's got Ben actually playing the piano on it, is allowed?
Mark Knopfler played on Al's parody of 'Money for Nothing', so there's precedent.

wrec

PaulTMA

I like his Beach Boys 'Smile' pastiche:

neveragain

For sheer gag density and impressive comic invention, I think this one just can't be beaten:

https://youtu.be/FZvgT4pVC_w

Don't be put off by the length, sir.

The Giggling Bean

I'm looking forward to watching this. I've got the album "Bad Hair Day", which somebody gave me as a birthday present years ago. I absolutely love the song "Calling in sick today".

Echoing what's been said earlier, I've really enjoyed Daniel Radcliffes choices of work. Guns Akimbo was a fantastic film and had me howling. I think he'll do great in this.

As somebody mentioned Devo before, I'm a huge Devo fan since my friend introduced me to "Oh No It's Devo" back in 96. They were the first band I became a serious fan of. However back in 86 my friend bought the 7 inch single of "The Touch" by Stan Bush from the Transformers movie. The B Side was "Dare To Be Stupid" which I became obsessed with. I think we listened to it a dozen times whenever I went round to his. I was surprised to find out, a few years after I got into Devo, that it was a Devo parody. I like to think it was foreshadowing.

Finally though, I think Wierd Al looks wrong without his moustache.

samadriel

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on September 15, 2022, 12:17:34 AMFinally though, I think Wierd Al looks wrong without his moustache.

Yes, the satire-free regurgitation of George Lucas shittiness in The Saga Begins, combined with his lack of moustache in the video really put me off Weird Al for a few years.  I am aware this is unfair.

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on September 15, 2022, 12:17:34 AMEchoing what's been said earlier, I've really enjoyed Daniel Radcliffes choices of work. Guns Akimbo was a fantastic film and had me howling. I think he'll do great in this.

Guns Akimbo was enjoyably daft, well worth a watch.

BJBMK2

Hardware Store is one of THE tunes, of the early 2000's, when he's dead, it will be remembered as one of the best recordings there was from this period.

This post was WELL worth bumping this thread for.

RicoMNKN

I really like his Sparks style parody, Virus Alert, and I'll never not laugh at the silly noises in Smells Like Nirvana.

He does seem to have a genuine love of pop music.  He moves with the times without ever becoming a Mel Smith punk, and is good at picking songs that last.

Glad he's getting a lot of love nowadays.

Mobius

Apparently this came out on sept 8th? I can't find it..

RicoMNKN

Think that was the premiere, and November 4th is the official date.
No idea what Roku TV is, though.

McChesney Duntz

It's a streaming service tied in with a specific brand of digital media player. They sell them in the UK, don't they?

Mobius

This is available now. Just downloaded it, gonna check it out in a bit

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 30, 2022, 08:19:56 AMYou're missing the point which is that, shit or not, this is going to have people praising Radcliffe and therefore boil Graham Linehan's piss so hard he'll have piss-steam shooting out his ears.

Yeah, God forbid it be a funny movie, right?

13 schoolyards

Think I laughed maybe three times at this (each time at some point of cartoony violence, which possibly says more about me than the film), but there were a few decent lines in there and the "star-studded" pool party scene was a keeper. Plus the running gag of otherwise nice guy Al constantly revealing himself to (briefly) be an arrogant jerk wasn't bad (unlike some of the other running jokes).

Fortunately there's a bunch of classic early Weird Al parody songs (usually played in full) scattered throughout which always lift proceedings, 6.5/10, maybe 7 for the bit where Al goes to retrieve his medallion from the skull of
Spoiler alert
Pablo Escobar
[close]

Goldentony

is there anything in this as funny as "SUPPLIES!" or drinking from the hose

ShadowRaichu

Watched it just there and there were a few funny bits (I did like how they treated a polka party as if it was a more typical teenage party) but it was a bit sluggish and really required a deep interest in Al's work to really appreciate it. That said, I also liked the executive who gets all abusive at Al, mainly because he foils well with his brother.

Tags: