Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 05:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Started by Mobius, May 04, 2022, 03:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Goldentony on November 05, 2022, 05:35:56 AMis there anything in this as funny as "SUPPLIES!" or drinking from the hose

NOTHING is as funny as that. Or, indeed, 'NOTHING!!!'

up_the_hampipe

Bit disappointed really. There were some funny moments, and of course, the whole concept is silly, but they seemed to be carrying it on that, while a lot of the content felt dialled back. It was probably better just as a trailer. The whole joke being "wouldn't it be crazy if Weird Al's life was really like this?" can't sustain over 90 mins, at least not for me, especially when there's some long scenes with few gags. Also, Dewey Cox was a much better rocker biopic parody.

Great bod on Radcliffe though. He could fuckin deck Voldemort now.

Mobius

Well I enjoyed it. Silly and funny. Maybe it could have been more funny yeah, there was a few dry scenes.

I enjoyed the pool scene and all the comedy cameos

up_the_hampipe

I did, however, really like this response Al gave to a fan asking how to watch the film overseas (in a thread started by The Roku Channel and tagging them in it):

QuoteRoku's working on it. In the meantime there's VPN (Very Probably No) way to watch it legally. I'm sure you have a TORRENT of other questions, but I have to move along, sorry.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1588719949748776961

neveragain

Agreement with hampipe and Mobius here. Definitely could have been better (mainly tighter, funnier and more songs wouldn't have gone amiss) but was still enjoyable for the most part.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 06, 2022, 01:41:05 AMBit disappointed really. There were some funny moments, and of course, the whole concept is silly, but they seemed to be carrying it on that, while a lot of the content felt dialled back. It was probably better just as a trailer. The whole joke being "wouldn't it be crazy if Weird Al's life was really like this?" can't sustain over 90 mins, at least not for me, especially when there's some long scenes with few gags. Also, Dewey Cox was a much better rocker biopic parody.

Great bod on Radcliffe though. He could fuckin deck Voldemort now.

This is how I felt, I really like Radcliffe, and he's great here, but it felt so predictable most of the time, and they dragged out certain ideas (Al drinking, Madonna being evil) to the point where I was starting to find them annoying. at times 5.1/10

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2022, 08:34:56 PMbut it felt so predictable most of the time, and they dragged out certain ideas (Al drinking, Madonna being evil) to the point where I was starting to find them annoying. at times 5.1/10

So essentially, it's the cinematic equivalent of a Weird Al song?

neveragain

Nope. Weird Al songs are full of different jokes; variations on a central idea but different nonetheless. I'll defend the comic invention in his songs until the end of this post.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2022, 08:34:56 PMThis is how I felt, I really like Radcliffe, and he's great here, but it felt so predictable most of the time, and they dragged out certain ideas (Al drinking, Madonna being evil) to the point where I was starting to find them annoying. at times 5.1/10

5.1 is fair, DR lifted this but it dragged in the second half.

it felt so predictable most of the time

I thought when The Knack was playing on the radio and the bologna in the fridge bit was playing out that the scene would end without My Bologna even being mentioned as it was so intentionally heavy handed, kinda disappointed that they kept it so straightforward.

Hank_Kingsley

Tickets for Weird Al (and Emo Phillips!) at the Palladium in February are already going fast, would advise getting in on it if you're interested.

Frank Wank

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 09, 2022, 10:40:25 PM5.1 is fair, DR lifted this but it dragged in the second half.

it felt so predictable most of the time

I thought when The Knack was playing on the radio and the bologna in the fridge bit was playing out that the scene would end without My Bologna even being mentioned as it was so intentionally heavy handed, kinda disappointed that they kept it so straightforward.

Isn't the heavy-handedness the point of the joke? (Yes it is, no need to reply)

SteveDave

Jesus wept this is shit. The joke wore thin early on but still it's going. Just like the man himself.

SteveDave

Despite my feelings expressed above, I am going to see him tomorrow due to my wife working late.

neveragain

A pretty odd reaction to your wife working late.

Hank_Kingsley

I saw him last night at the palladium along with my mates Peter Serafinowivz and Robert Popper. Okay, I didn't go with them but I spotted them during the interval. Which was nice. It was a really good show, as Al said several times the show was in part a tribute to his touring band and to showcase what they can do. And they were tight! Really good, like better than many serious musicians I've seen. Al's voice, which does like a nasal dirge on a lot of the recordings, is actually pretty bloody good too. Especially when he leans into a style, like he did on a James Taylor sound-alike.

I do have to report that the woke stasi has gotten to Al, there was a song he did where he used the word hermaphrodite and he stopped and explained that. Actually, it was classily done and made me think that it's sort of mad that over such a long career in comedy, parodying this and that he's managed to do it without upsetting too many people.

I've always dug the odd bits of Emo Phillips stand-up I've seen over the years and I really enjoyed some of his lines, especially a line comparing mobile phone photography to incest. Just good fun!

Thosworth

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on February 17, 2023, 08:59:12 AMI do have to report that the woke stasi has gotten to Al,

Also Word Crimes includes the line 'you write like a s*****c', but he was unaware of the link with cerebral palsy and apologised later. But it's weird all* the people working on the record and video didn't either - must be more of a British thing.

*yankovic

sutin

Americans use the S word all the time, they think it's harmless.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: neveragain on February 16, 2023, 02:45:55 PMA pretty odd reaction to your wife working late.

I assume she has the only keys to the house

Petey Pate

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on February 17, 2023, 08:59:12 AMI saw him last night at the palladium along with my mates Peter Serafinowivz and Robert Popper. Okay, I didn't go with them but I spotted them during the interval. Which was nice. It was a really good show, as Al said several times the show was in part a tribute to his touring band and to showcase what they can do. And they were tight! Really good, like better than many serious musicians I've seen. Al's voice, which does like a nasal dirge on a lot of the recordings, is actually pretty bloody good too. Especially when he leans into a style, like he did on a James Taylor sound-alike.

Generally I like Weird Al's style parodies or pastiches more than his direct parodies of specific songs. His Crosby Stills and Nash one is pretty clever in how it uses a hippie countercultural musical style with lyrics that are meaningless corporate jargon.

The song with the 'hermaphrodite' lyric is Albuquerque which is a long shaggy dog story based on Dick's Automotive by The Rugburns originally intended as a test of endurance, but has since become a fan favourite.

RetroRobot

Saw him in Manchester on Monday. Fucking brilliant live.

famethrowa

We're taking the young lad to see him in Sydney next month, I've followed Al on and off since buying "Eat It" on 45 in 1985 but the lad is mad into him at the moment. I've been having a look at the setlists, seems he's been alternating finishing with either Albuquerque or The Biggest Ball Of Twine in Minnesota. For many years I would have plumped for the Ball of Twine, but now I've discovered Albuquerque, so which is best?? I'm torn

RetroRobot

Quote from: famethrowa on February 19, 2023, 02:41:43 AMWe're taking the young lad to see him in Sydney next month, I've followed Al on and off since buying "Eat It" on 45 in 1985 but the lad is mad into him at the moment. I've been having a look at the setlists, seems he's been alternating finishing with either Albuquerque or The Biggest Ball Of Twine in Minnesota. For many years I would have plumped for the Ball of Twine, but now I've discovered Albuquerque, so which is best?? I'm torn

Albuquerque is how he ended it in Manchester, fucking brilliant live

This film is on my Mother-in-Law's Amazon Prime now, so I watched it and enjoyed it.

The lead performances are fun and for the first half includes lots of chances to bore your spouse with your useless knowledge of comedy.

"Look! It's Paul F Thompkins! He's playing Gallagher!"

Good deadpan "bits", what some would call "bucket jokes" (it's like a teenage weed house party, but there's polka music and they're passing round an accordian).

Gets a bit flabby near the end but I really chuckled imagining it was a direct jab at Elton John's very self-satisfying Rocketman Biopic.

6.5/10

Attila

Tags: