Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft

Started by MALCOLM, September 21, 2010, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLG-7A

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 31, 2012, 06:19:16 PM
Right, lost all my stuff in a cave again so that'll be me not playing it for a few months.

Why the fuck doesn't eating bring your health meter back up?? Fuck you Notch.
It does on the old (XBox) version, and there's no hunger in that version either.

It would be hilarious incompetent if he removed the health bonus and added hunger.

Sigh. Hunger. Is there a person alive who thinks the game is better for this?

My health definitely doesn't go up if I eat, only the hunger meter. I'm on 1.2.5 presumably, as that's the version that it mentions on the load screen, so I don't get why it doesn't work.

mook

don't you have to completely fill the hunger meter before the health metre starts replenishing?

Replies From View

From what I've seen (and that's just people playing it on youtube) eating in the older versions of Minecraft used to directly make your health meter go up.  Now that there's a separate hunger meter as well, eating fills that right up, and from that the health meter will gradually (not too gradually) regenerate (correspondingly lowering the hunger meter I think).

Anyway, eating does regenerate health, just not instantaneously anymore.  The health meter builds itself back up like a reverse of being attacked is happening.

Hangthebuggers

Also stop digging, stand still, don't jump - faster replenishment.

One or two hearts missing will mean you will regain health albeit at varying degrees, whilst any less means you're gonna get hungry.

Simplest technique is to smash any long grass you see and look for seeds, make a plough and plant your seeds,stick a torch down next to the ploughed grass to help growth, next to water too for even faster growth. Make bread this way.

Secondly try and catch fish or look for mushrooms, pigs, chickens.

Neomod

Melon farming is a great way to get food. You get up to five pieces of melon from each one. I've got three plants and I've not needed to touch my other food.

In other news cave spiders are bastards!

mook

just just how far down is this bloody redstone stuff? i swear if i go down any deeper i'll find out if the minecraft is a globe or not.

Neomod

I've generally found redstone near lava flows. Seems to be easier to find through cave networks rather than digging a mine.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Neomod on June 01, 2012, 10:03:59 AM
I've generally found redstone near lava flows. Seems to be easier to find through cave networks rather than digging a mine.

Spelunking is the best method to find any ore.

Iron, coal and such is usually located near the top layers (and below), lapiz, diamond, redstone, gold are located closer and closer to the bottom layer.

A tip: Want to find diamond? Dig down to bedrock , then dig 4/5 blocks up and create a strip mine on that layer - this is the most efficient technique to find diamonds in my opinion.

Redstone is usually located just above diamond layer.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Neomod on June 01, 2012, 08:56:09 AM
Melon farming is a great way to get food. You get up to five pieces of melon from each one. I've got three plants and I've not needed to touch my other food.

In other news cave spiders are bastards!

melons are the most efficient food source, but you still need to find the seeds.

KLG-7A

Quote from: mook on June 01, 2012, 09:09:21 AM
just just how far down is this bloody redstone stuff? i swear if i go down any deeper i'll find out if the minecraft is a globe or not.
Don't read if you don't want the magic spoiled.

Spoiler alert
If you keep digging (256 blocks below ground level?) you eventually hit unbreakable bedrock. Lots of minerals will be found around there, and if you're lucky you're hit a cave system which will be loaded with stuff.

My favourite way to mine is to build a quarry straight downwards. So a 10x10 (or bigger) tunnel all the way to the ground. Like this: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5936196277_41884d3237.jpg

It's not the most efficient way, but it feels very thorough and satisfying, and seems to be a good way of avoiding monsters on the way.
[close]

Neil

I'm spending less time gaming, and deliberately avoiding addictive fuckers like this...but I finally caved in and bought it.  I was dying for the Xbox version, but what's the point paying for that when it's way behind the PC builds, has no mods, and shite multiplayer?  So I got this last night, and am bloody loving it, of course.  Feels quite creative, like Lego, and mechanical enough that I'll be able to plough through loads of comedy records at the same time.

fearofmusic: you still around?  Can't get that server to work, and assume it's been taken down.  Used to salivate while reading this thread, and hearing of all the crazy shit the likes of leelo had made.  Can anyone send me a backup of it?  If FOM isn't about, or up for it, perhaps I could get a new CaB Minecraft server up and running.

mook

Quote from: KLG-7A on June 01, 2012, 05:31:13 PM
Don't read if you don't want the magic spoiled.

Spoiler alert
If you keep digging (256 blocks below ground level?) you eventually hit unbreakable bedrock. Lots of minerals will be found around there, and if you're lucky you're hit a cave system which will be loaded with stuff.

My favourite way to mine is to build a quarry straight downwards. So a 10x10 (or bigger) tunnel all the way to the ground. Like this: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5936196277_41884d3237.jpg

It's not the most efficient way, but it feels very thorough and satisfying, and seems to be a good way of avoiding monsters on the way.
[close]

lovely. managed to get some in the end. now all i need to remember is to keep an eye for those sneaky green bastards.

Morrison Lard

Dig up, stupid!

sorry

Managed to recreate my gear fairly quickly so I'm back at it.

Honestly, I feel like I'm still not quite getting as much out of this game as I should be, because so far the most creative thing I've done is to build a big glass staircase into the sky to see how far up I can go, and then build a sky fortress when I reach the peak. About double the cloud layer now with no end in sight.

The rest of the time I'm just buggering about mining, and now I'm building a second home on the coast. It is a glorious timewaster.

Neomod

Yeah, you kind of wonder what the point of it is but then you start building countless bond villain style structures in different temperate zones and then connect them all by your own personal railway.

Most recent building work is a hunting lodge in the desert as this is by far the easiest place to kill the night beasts and bump up my experience points.

Hangthebuggers

The new update is looking good.

New ore, trading, a new type of chest , trip-wire (for traps) , desert temples and better villages, larger biomes and a new mode - plus improved inventory and UI.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

Big Jack McBastard

Christ I'm so hooked on this I might get the PC version too.

What does one have to do to get a server sorted?

KLG-7A

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on June 03, 2012, 09:28:51 PM
Christ I'm so hooked on this I might get the PC version too.
Whenever I play online with my partner, I see you on my contacts list playing already. It's quite comforting.

Big Jack McBastard

Well you might be seeing a bit less of me now, I've taken the plunge on this bladdy thing, Swedish cunt'll have all my money before long.

KLG-7A

I'd like to play the version with features, but I only play with the other half and she likes playing on the 'box.

SSSSSSSSSSSS

Big Jack McBastard

I had a brief pootle on a.... version of the game before hand and there's tons of new shit I don't understand yet, but I can fly and do world editing so that's me sorted for the evening, unless there are there some known, non-insane servers that could be jumped onto.

mook

i think i'm going have to delete this off of my machine, it's just so easy to "just click it on for five minutes". i woke up parched this morning at about 3am, went downstairs to get some juice, then thought "fuck it, i'll have a quick ciggie and a read of the news then back off to bed." did i bollocks, 2 1/2 hours of frantic mining later and i've just about set out the chiseled sandstone to form my fallingwater inspired beach house.

So... CaB server? How would one sort that out?

Actually, maybe we should just find a server and move in en masse, just taking it over through sheer numbers. Would have to be one where the world isn't already entirely strip-mined of course.

Zetetic

It'd be nice to dig out fearofmusic's save if he's still got it, even if someone does want to start a new server.  Has anyone PM'd them?

Puffin Chunks might have a backup of it, although I don't know how recent it'll be. (I can't find the copy I got off FoM.)

leelo

I'd like to get hold of any save that FoM had of the old server too (I did have one, but god knows what happened to it).  Saying that, I think that any new CaB server would be better on a brand new map as there have been quite a few changes to world gen since we last played, plus it would be nice for everyone to start at the same point.

Puffin Chunks

I have a backup from 20th June last year.

It would be good to have the new biomes, but it would also be nice to port over some of the structures I'd built, maybe some of it could be merged with MCEdit?

Big Jack McBastard

Oh I do so want to play in a world of our own, even if it's from scratch. I'll instantly go out collecting materials until my mind breaks.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on June 04, 2012, 04:37:34 PM
Oh I do so want to play in a world of our own, even if it's from scratch. I'll instantly go out collecting materials until my mind breaks.

Wot he sed.

mook

with the multi-player, do you start off with nowt but your bare hands like the SP game? or can you import all/some of your goodies?