Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apple TV recommendations?

Started by Blue Jam, April 28, 2023, 04:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 19, 2024, 10:18:36 PMThe Truman Capote and NY fancy ladies show isn't on Apple but it is also boring as fuck
Also has dodgy lookalikes of Roddy McDowall and Peter Sellers, in the same mould as the previous season's 'Vincent Price' and 'Michael Gough'.

Blue Jam

Interesting (and spoilery) review of Constellation here:

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/constellation-review-in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-yawn-from-crushing-boredom/a193865801.html

Interesting because:
Spoiler alert
There are two Mikes? And they're identical twins, and both grizzled, world-weary (space-weary?) former astronauts? I don't know if I failed to pick that up because it wasn't made obvious or because I was just too bored to pay attention.
[close]

Gonna sack this off. Sorry Mike.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's not really spoilery, but I'll use the spoiler tag anyway.

Spoiler alert
There's the jarring scene of the video interview during the second episode where Banks is wearing a uniform for the camera and either shorts or just underwear below. Henry was supposed to be in Kazakhstan, yet there's the sea on the background. And he's angry because the reporter called him Henry, while his name is Bud. As weird things already happen to Jo, we assume it's part of the same weird vibe that spreads to other characters.

But it's thoroughly explained in episode 3. Twins, and Bud is one of the paid guests at a cruise about space.

Meanwhile, Jo's daughter, Alice, is played by real-life twins. I don't know at this point if they just use both girls randomly, depending on the scene, of if they're doing the same thing as in Robert Mulligan's The Other, with one twin playing the "good" Alice and the other handling the "alternate".
[close]

Blue Jam

Physical is really great. One woman's journey of self-discovery through the aerobics boom in the Reagan 
years. From the director of I, Tonya! Probably best avoided if you might be upset by eating disorders and self-loathing though:

It's been compared to GLOW, which I probably should check out shouldn't I?

Not sure how I didn't hear about this until recently, and there are three whole series up. I guess that's one good thing about Apple TV, in their haste to fill up their content library, and with their policy of filming multiple seasons back-to-back, they actually give new shows a chance.

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2024, 09:11:00 PMPhysical is really great.

I liked it, the 3rd season drops off a little IIRC but overall a good show. Nice turn from Murray Bartlett in S02.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=94958.0

Blue Jam

Just saw a new trailer pop up and OH FUCKING HELL GET IN GRAVE:

touchingcloth

Blue Jam

Noel Fielding could never top this:

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 01, 2024, 09:28:14 PMJust saw a new trailer pop up and OH FUCKING HELL GET IN GRAVE:

Saw a different teaser that was a little less dire and thought I would probably watch it, maybe not now.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 22, 2024, 10:20:39 AMNot quoting the post itself because I'll see the spoilered text, but when @Blue Jam wrote...

...I thought to myself that it was probably going to be

Spoiler alert
Thomas Paine
[close]

because they seemed the type, then about ten minutes after reading the post they

Spoiler alert
got blown to bits with his martini
[close]

So if it's someone I've come across by this point in S2, my best guess would be ... Aleida. Based on her being the least likely to be a supervillain up to this point.

I made the mistake early on in S1 of looking at the filmography of the actor who plays

Spoiler alert
Gordo
[close]

and saw that they are in 20 episodes of the show. Based on their arc this series and how the first one ended, I can kind of see what's coming.

Well having finished series 2 I half called this, and think I have a better idea who the supervillain will be if the season finale's ending is to be trusted.

Also called Baldwin's cuck status.

Dex Sawash

Prolly will watch MANHUNT! The search for Lincoln's Arse and then prolly moan about it. Tobias Menzes is in it, he always plays a cunt, wonder if be can do Ameri-cunt

Ant Farm Keyboard

He's the hero in this.

However I have bad news to share about navigator Harry Crosby...

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 01, 2024, 09:28:14 PMJust saw a new trailer pop up and OH FUCKING HELL GET IN GRAVE:

Gave it a go last night. Wife, who loves the bakeoff skits and banter tapped out before I did. It is really quite bad.

Dex Sawash

Manhunt's oddest casting is Patton Oswalt who seems to be doing a cameo as himself

Ant Farm Keyboard

I'm still waiting for Matt Walsh to say "I'm so tired of all this man hunt."

Blue Jam

Loving Palm Royale. What a bunch of magnificent bitches.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2024, 12:23:07 AMLoving Palm Royale. What a bunch of magnificent bitches.

It has been fun.

The New Look has been hard going but wife loves dresses and that so I'm just trying to stay awake.

Blue Jam

John Malkovich sure is having a moment.

Ant Farm Keyboard

About renewals...
For All Mankind has received a fifth season order plus a miniseries depicting what happens in the main timeline from the Soviet point of view.
Slow Horses is renewed up to season five. And the same creative team is now handling the first book by Mick Herron, Down Cemetery Road, a crime novel, with Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson in the lead parts.

Blue Jam

On episode 4 of Palm Royale now. Allison Janney being a very dear and 100% sincere friend to a wealthy and well-connected semi-comatose Carole Burnett is darkly hilarious.

Laura Dern and her dad? This is like the very opposite of Apple's original films in that they've stumped up the cash for a load of famous names but actually accepted that the script needs to be decent, and everyone is clearly having a blast.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 19, 2024, 12:57:03 PMAbout renewals...
For All Mankind has received a fifth season order plus a miniseries depicting what happens in the main timeline from the Soviet point of view.

Fifth season will be good. I'm halfway through series four now and enjoying it all so far, and based on the current trajectory of things there will probably be
Spoiler alert
aliens
[close]
before the end of this series or the next.

Some great use of music in this series, getting better as it's moved out of the sixties. I liked the montage that introduced Lee, and there was a nice montage of Miles and Poole cut to Clint Eastwood.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 19, 2024, 12:57:03 PMSlow Horses is renewed up to season five. And the same creative team is now handling the first book by Mick Herron, Down Cemetery Road, a crime novel, with Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson in the lead parts.

Oh dear, does this suggest Slow Horses might be put out to pasture? I was hoping the schedule of 12 episodes every other year might keep Oldman around for a bit longer, but if they're only renewing for one more season then that might be it?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Mister Six on April 25, 2024, 11:29:12 PMOh dear, does this suggest Slow Horses might be put out to pasture? I was hoping the schedule of 12 episodes every other year might keep Oldman around for a bit longer, but if they're only renewing for one more season then that might be it?

That's my worry too, but it could be just a scheduling thing, to accommodate the cast, now that the new seasons get released a year apart. Also, I haven't read the books, but I was told that the fourth book (Spook Street) has its actual payoff with the sixth one (London Rules).

The show has been gaining traction. It's not the edgiest thing ever, but it's the thriller equivalent of Only Murders in the Building. Every time I recommend it to someone over 40 or 50, they love it. In France, where only the first two books in the series had been published (in 2011 and 2015), they're now resuming the translations, as there's an actual demand for them.