Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24: Part 3: End of an Era - Auf Wiedersehen, Jürgen

Started by Kankurette, March 17, 2024, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I WAS going to go with 'Kloppe be choppes' but decided against it.

Anyway, new thread. Quad OFF but title potentially still ON. Coventry FA Cup upset imminent?

bgmnts

A neck and neck race between Arsenal and Liverpool being decided by goal difference would be fun.

Mr Eggs

Kankurette

mippy

Went to a Big Sainsbury's near me and they were selling INEOs branded hand-wash. I like to think a condition of the takeover was that they had to install it in all the Old Trafford loos.

Trying to feel optimistic that last night means there will be Darwinopocalypse in a few weeks. If I were a neutral (is anyone a neutral when it comes to Utd?) I would have found the last minute winning goal followed by a booking very funny. Enjoy not replicating that at Coventry, Amad!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mippy on March 18, 2024, 08:46:20 AMI would have found the last minute winning goal followed by a booking very funny. Enjoy not replicating that at Coventry, Amad!
He'll be available for the semi-final, he misses out on the game at Brentford in a couple of weeks.

mippy

I thought cards were tied to the competitions in which they are given?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mippy on March 18, 2024, 09:38:01 AMI thought cards were tied to the competitions in which they are given?
From the BBC's live reporting of the game:

"Amad will be banned for the next Premier League game (at Brentford on 30 March) as a result of his red card in this afternoon's game.

He took his shirt off after scoring Manchester United's extra-time winner having already been booked earlier in the contest.

Red cards are not competition specific."

phantom_power

Aren't they specific to the sporting body? As the Premier League and FA are under the FA they share punishment but European competitions are under UEFA and so there is no crossover?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2024, 02:33:24 PMForrest docked points:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68594865

Might be riots if City don't get docked a billion points.

City need to be cunted off into the sun. Wind the fucking club up.

Kankurette

Chelsea too. Their sins far outweigh Everton and Forest.

Both of those clubs can and will get away with it. They have clout that Forest and Everton don't.

DrGreggles

I think the Man City and Chelsea cases are slightly more complex than Everton and Forest's though, which are more of a straightforward yes/no variety. If anything they're getting punished sooner than Man City and Chelsea because they don't have a million shell companies to funnel the money around.

The interesting thing with Man City is that it's 115 separate charges, which would mean 115 separate punishments. It'll be dragged out for years though.

Kankurette

FMH moment: Chris Kiwomya manages the British Virgin Islands team.

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2024, 03:32:00 PMI think the Man City and Chelsea cases are slightly more complex than Everton and Forest's though, which are more of a straightforward yes/no variety. If anything they're getting punished sooner than Man City and Chelsea because they don't have a million shell companies to funnel the money around.

The interesting thing with Man City is that it's 115 separate charges, which would mean 115 separate punishments. It'll be dragged out for years though.

It would be funny if it led to 20 point deductions every season for the next 10 seasons

Kankurette

jobotic

Reverse the result of the 1999 League 1 play off final.

Justice.

Thursday

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2024, 04:15:21 PMIt would be funny if it led to 20 point deductions every season for the next 10 seasons

Man City to get a 3 point deduction every year for the next 115 years.

Kankurette

Re the celebration discourse, no, I don't care if a footballer takes his top off and tbh I find choreographed dances a bit cringe. I can understand why Roy Keane views Jesse Lingard with disdain.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on March 18, 2024, 10:20:20 PMMan City to get a 3 point deduction every year for the next 115 years.

Man City get a 20 point increase for the last 30 years.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2024, 12:17:06 AMRe the celebration discourse, no, I don't care if a footballer takes his top off and tbh I find choreographed dances a bit cringe. I can understand why Roy Keane views Jesse Lingard with disdain.

Most people don't care about footballers taking their shirt off, but understand that it's a yellow card if they do.
A choreographed celebration should be a straight red.
'Respectful' muted celebration after scoring against a former club = banned for life.

Brian Freeze

What's the punishment for kissing the badge?

Recently there was a spate of pointing at ours on kit reveals and new signings, don't know if that was repeated elsewhere.

Utter Shit

Might have been covered in the previous thread but I remember reading that the booking for taking your shirt off rule was brought in after pressure from sponsors.

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory, but there's logic to it - they pay a fortune to emblazon the front of the shirts with their branding, and a goal being scored is one of the few times you're likely to get a close-up of a player that lasts more than a split second.

Probably not worth getting our hopes up because it's not in the PL's interest to upset one of the richest and most successful clubs, but increasingly I'm seeing respected journalists say that City really are deep in the shit - the sheer number of charges is a massive problem and there's very little room to wriggle out of any of them.

It seems like the endless delaying tactics are just designed to get their ducks in a row so they're well placed to absorb the punishment. I can't remember who, but I read a well-established journalist say automatic relegation is a definite possibility.

Kankurette

Utter Shit

Yeah, they got relegated to Serie B, got promoted back up straight away and finished third in Serie A two years after the relegation. To be fair, it did take them four years to win the league again, so it did have a lasting impact to some extent.

You'd like to think a similar punishment would have a bigger impact on City, because the standard of competition is higher as we're seeing this season, but in all likelihood if they were put down to the Championship they'd be back in the Champions League within two years and competing for titles again not long after that. Going down to League 1 or 2 would have a much bigger impact in terms of convincing players to stay, in which case there would be a much bigger rebuilding job required.

Kankurette

Christ, the thought of having to share the Championship with that lot. They'd just clobber everyone and make that Ipswich game we had recently look like a boring 0-0 draw. Gone are the days of Nicky Summerbee and Terry Phelan and Niall Quinn.

Hat FM

yeah i think some of the man city fanbase will be so bored by 2035 or whenever that they would welcome an invincible season in the championship. the wage bill would be an issue if they dropped down i guess. presu,ably they would still be allowed to compete in the champions league after being demoted so could win the prestigious championship and champions league double. the champion of champions. I hate Man city.

Kankurette

City fan entitlement seems to be a thing now. Some City fans have very short memories and forget how utterly shit they were in the '90s. My brother and I were talking about this when I was over there for a Mothers' Day get together before Mum went on holiday (and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I AM NEVER GOING TO LIVERPOOL ON ST PATRICK'S DAY AGAIN), and he was considering cutting down on Everton matches after they move to Bramley Moore (if that happens) because he's so fed up with Everton in general, and we got onto City and how when we were growing up in the '90s, City were a joke team. United were dominating everything and City were like their embarrassing sibling and the only cool thing about them was that the Gallaghers were fans. There are City fans who've only known success, but older ones like my Manc uncle will remember the days when they were getting twatted every weekend and their red friends and colleagues laughed at them, and then they went down and ended up playing York and Gillingham and the Sheffields and Shaun Goater was one of their star players.

Success in football is relative, innit? If you're Liverpool or City or Arsenal, Europa is a Mickey Mouse trophy but if you're West Ham and it's the first thing you've won in forever, it's a huge deal.

Coventry winning the FA Cup would be immense but they'll probably get knocked out by whoever they have next round.

Armin Meiwes

They shouldn't deduct man city any points but should instead force them to hire Frank Lampard as their manager for the next 5 years followed by Steven StevieG Gerrard for the 5 years after that.