Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What podcasts/YouTube audio shit do you listen to?

Started by Flouncer, February 20, 2023, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2023, 08:28:46 PMMandatory Redistribution Party is my new fave, it's excellent - I started with their recent amazing deep dive on the career of Paddy McGuinness and since been chomping steadily through the old episodes. TRY IT

Thoroughly enjoyed their semi-evisceration of Paddy McGuinness and extra points for the comparison of his standup to COMEEEEDIAN ENNERTAIIIINER Daniel Songer. Will listen to the rest.

Dex Sawash

flotemysost

Quote from: Icehaven on February 20, 2023, 08:39:24 PMUnexplained by Richard McLean Smith is alright, few dud episodes but the music is beautiful.

Ah yeah, I got into that one for a bit while wfh during lockdown.

Feel like I need a repository of go-to podcasts that I can listen to when I'm working, i.e. vaguely entertaining but not so interesting that I stop actually being able to focus on work (a low bar, admittedly). Stuff involving two people chatting in a convivial cosy sort of way often ticks that box (as long as they're not talking about anything I'm too invested in) - I listened to You're Wrong About quite a bit during lockdown too, basically a couple of journalists(?) picking apart various famous/notorious events in history and pop culture, but in a very easygoing irreverent kinda way.

Some nice recommendations here, anyway (though I'm sure some would cross over into "non-work" listening for me as they sound really interesting!).

The other day I put some inobtrusive "coffee shop background noise" looped thing on my headphones because I couldn't concentrate for shit, and at that moment someone in the office was having a coughing fit a few desks away and for a minute or two I was convinced that was just part of the recorded soundscape. I can't keep a straight face when I see him now.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: non capisco on February 21, 2023, 09:14:42 AMThoroughly enjoyed their semi-evisceration of Paddy McGuinness and extra points for the comparison of his standup to COMEEEEDIAN ENNERTAIIIINER Daniel Songer. Will listen to the rest.
Holy crap, there are other Daniel Songer fans around!

Mandatory Redistribution Party was another one of those where I culled it from my list because there were just too many. I miss the good old days of iPod v1s and iTunes not having podcasts on them and there only being about 50 podcasts in the world. Or I miss having enough free time to listen to all the interesting ones.

Stonefish

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, picked up some great new podcasts. Keep 'em coming!

Stonefish

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 21, 2023, 09:28:34 PMMandatory Redistribution Party was another one of those where I culled it from my list because there were just too many. I miss the good old days of iPod v1s and iTunes not having podcasts on them and there only being about 50 podcasts in the world. Or I miss having enough free time to listen to all the interesting ones.

I also used to be a completionist but it became too overwhelming to keep up, so now I just dig out the specific episodes that sound interesting. I also get a bit of host-fatigue for long running podcasts and need to rest shows from time to time.

touchingcloth

If you like ecology and doom-laden talk about how we're all FUCKED, The Great Simplification is a great listen.

gib

Quote from: studpuppet on February 20, 2023, 11:44:39 PMHistory Of Rock 'n' Roll In 500 Songs This must have been recommended on here in a previous thread - if you can get past the dry, monotone voice it's a staggeringly well-researched series. He's only at episode number 162, and I worry that he won't make it to 500 because his health isn't great. To give you some idea of his commitment, each episode tends to go at least an hour, and there's normally a 10-15min side-episode for a song mentioned in the main ep. - the Tomorrow Never Knows episode was four hours long...

It's possibly my fave podcast, currently giving it a 2nd listen, never done that with any other pod. He recommends Cocaine and Rhinestones for Country music history so i gave that a go. The first season is a bit all over the place, as the guy himself admits you're better off going straight in at season 2. These are much better crafted eps that together tell a story, and there's lots more going on to keep you interested. I had virtually no interest in Country music before i started 500 songs and this one, but you do get right into it

gib

The Atomic Hobo

3 year old girl watches Threads and grows up to make podcast about all things nuclear

badaids

Quote from: gib on February 21, 2023, 10:44:49 PMThe Atomic Hobo

3 year old girl watches Threads and grows up to make podcast about all things nuclear

I second this - it's a great listen.

gib

Quote from: flotemysost on February 21, 2023, 08:48:35 PMFeel like I need a repository of go-to podcasts that I can listen to when I'm working, i.e. vaguely entertaining but not so interesting that I stop actually being able to focus on work (a low bar, admittedly). Stuff involving two people chatting in a convivial cosy sort of way often ticks that box (as long as they're not talking about anything I'm too invested in) - I listened to You're Wrong About quite a bit during lockdown too, basically a couple of journalists(?) picking apart various famous/notorious events in history and pop culture, but in a very easygoing irreverent kinda way.

i know exactly what you mean, i manage to find several hours worth to get me through most days at work

answer me this
blindboy
cautionary tales
charlie higson and friends
crime club
drunk women solving crime
flash forward
frank skinner show
grimm reading
radio 2's confessions
real dictators
rex factor
short history of
stuff you should know
the eastern border
the modern mann
whole 9 yards

Quote from: gib on February 21, 2023, 10:44:49 PMThe Atomic Hobo

Yeah, I like that one too. Also enjoying "Behind the Bastards", an in-depth exploration of history's most appalling people.

touchingcloth

Quote from: dazed_and_bemused on February 21, 2023, 11:20:48 PMYeah, I like that one too. Also enjoying "Behind the Bastards", an in-depth exploration of history's most appalling people.

I listened to their Tate ones and they were great, but episode one didn't grab me. Any highlights in there?

touchingcloth

Thanks to whoever on here mentioned BtB in the Tate thread, and True Anon in the Epstein one - been working my way through their free ones.

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 22, 2023, 12:19:52 AMI listened to their Tate ones and they were great, but episode one didn't grab me. Any highlights in there?

Some I remember finding interesting:

The Man Who Teaches Our Cops to Kill
How Nestle Starved A Bunch of Babies
How Youtube Became a Perpetual Nazi Machine & Mark Zuckerberg Should be on Trial for Crimes Against Humanity
The Dr. Phil, Synanon and Elan School episodes

The Alex Jones ones are pretty interesting and the two guests host Knowledge Fight, a similar sort of format but focusing on Alex Jones' show.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Flouncer on February 20, 2023, 08:46:36 PMAh you mean Alice, I think. I started an episode of Trashfuture last night but didn't finish it; I don't think I'm going to get along with it. Alice can be a bit grating at times but Justin and Liam are cool.

You mean you don't like people just yelling incomprehensible nonsense over each other? What are you... Simple?

PlanktonSideburns

Don't want to turn this thread into a podcasters that annoy you thread, sorry

Pink Gregory

I like TF.  Try 10k Posts if you find the main lot annoying, bevause Hussein sometimes struggles to get a word in, possibly because he's a bit less confident and less able to articulate himself (lots of 'likes' and 'ums') but as a host he's very, very good.

Actually everyone should try 10k Posts.  Sometimes light-hearted, sometimes serious podcast about online posting.

Dex Sawash

Was working on someone's car yesterday, they had a cd playing of Darth Vader* reading the bible. Was really great so I have told CaB right here.

*the actor who played him, not in character. I didn't know if his middle name had an e on the end and just saying James Jones may be confusing. Googling to find out how to spell it seemed a lot of trouble to go through but in hindsight, maybe not so much.

chip

Episode One had a recent thread in CC; it's three American lads doing conceptual improv comedy and is absolutely incredibly funny a lot of the time.

The Poundcast, hosted by Tim & Eric cohort DJ Douggpound and comedian friend Brent Weinbach, is another. Those two just bounce off each other brilliantly. Very funny and cosy listening.

Report This Post, another funny pair of misanthropes who find and discuss 'bad posts by bad people' on a range of topics. I've said it before but their joke:laughter interplay rivals that of Nick and Stav.

Then of course Office Hours Live, Chapo and The Adam Friedland Show. TrueAnon's kind of fallen off a bit in the last year, but it's still more good than bad, just also more boring. Last Podcast on the Left is a perennial paranormal classic, and those three have superb chemistry (dunno why but I find Marcus a bit off-putting though - randomly overtly aggressive and bad at taking jokes).

And on the less Cab-friendly side, the Tim Dillon Show, Matt & Shane's Secret Podcast, and of course Rogan when there's a good guest on. (Honestly lads. They're not that bad.) Those Conspiracy Guys is also fantastic and Gordo is hilarious and generally correct about things (afaic), and their sister pod Monster Fuzz is also some charming craic - a bit less intense and conspiratorial but still a nice warming listen. Mysterious Universe gets a big rec from me too; supremely well researched and informative work on paranormal, creepy and generally 'mysterious' phenomena.

flotemysost

Quote from: gib on February 21, 2023, 11:12:48 PMi know exactly what you mean, i manage to find several hours worth to get me through most days at work

Thank you for these! (and everything else in the thread)

The problem is a lot of it sounds too interesting, for me it needs to hit that sweet spot of being *just* diverting enough to kind of merge into the background but still be perceptible, otherwise fuck all work's getting done (same with music, as covered in an Oscillations thread fairly recently). Genuinely quite jealous of people who can actually properly multitask, or on the contrary who can work in full silence.

touchingcloth

Is it 0212020u5 to everyone else that the Chapo podcast isn't about El Chapo?

I've just found that out, but I still don't plan on ever listening to it mainly due to CHAPO'S HOUSE OF TWATS or whatever it is being such a shite name.

chip

Ah no it's really good, promise. Though I suppose it depends whether you're into US (and often global) politics and ironic internet culture. It does genuinely give me something to look forward to on Tuesday mornings (and Fridays, should you choose to "find" their premium ones for free).

They're just a good and funny bunch of lads, and not even due to their politics (which I'm sure go down a storm on CaB anyway). (I do just wish Will wasn't tripping over his words or misreading them constantly. You are a PROFESSIONAL PODCASTER man, get it together!)

badaids

Thanks for these recs.

I'm really enjoying hate listening the Otherworld podcast.  It's like On Cinema for real. It's inadvertently hilarious.

Jerrykeshton

99% invisible. Supposedly About the things that make things work. Last one I listen to was about Pablo Escobar's theme park.  The next one I need to hear is about the 1940s music strike.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chip on February 22, 2023, 05:46:01 PM(which I'm sure go down a storm on CaB anyway)
[tag]chip bangs on about the CaB consensus[/tag]

mojo filters

For fans of documentary films, I highly recommend the podcast Sup Doc. Their output is not as regular as it used to be, but they're definitely focused on quality over quantity. Also unlike podcasts relating to current affairs, this kind of content never gets old.

It's easy to find out if you enjoy their comedy stylings and general shtick; just find an episode about a documentary you love, hate, or which provoked any other kind of strong feelings - then listen. I really like their style, they get interesting (albeit mostly unknown) guests, and I enjoy their very strong opinions and harsh takes even when I completely disagree.

The episodes tend to be long as they generally take deep dives into both the subject matter and the documentary filmmaking craft. Hence whether it's a person, a topic or an incident under discussion, if you're already especially interested in either that or simply fascinated by the filmmaker's approach, then 90 minute+ episodes of Sup Doc will quickly fly by.

In respect of a rather niche subject, I recently discovered the podcast Decoding Fox News after meeting the host. Juliet Jeske puts then whole thing together herself as a full time job, funded entirely by a modest research grant.

The podcast itself is easy to miss, as she mostly promotes it via her Substack which has the same title and lots of additional visual content. She only keeps up a few months of material on the podcast feed, however I generally end up listening via her Substack which has all of her work archived.

There's additional content for paid Substack subscribers, which I'm happy to let my employer pay for. However the main meat and potatoes of her work are all available on the free tier. I'd advise existing Substack users to try going that route first, however regular podcast people should have no trouble finding recent episodes of Decoding Fox News in all the usual places.

Whilst the subject matter might sound pretty dry, as well as geared exclusively towards nerdy media folks inside the Acela corridor, her sunny disposition and sense of humor makes this podcast very enjoyable, as well as informative. I'd recommend this to anyone who's ever experienced anger, bafflement or frustration after seeing any kind of Fox News content!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: badaids on February 22, 2023, 06:56:58 PMThanks for these recs.

I'm really enjoying hate listening the Otherworld podcast.  It's like On Cinema for real. It's inadvertently hilarious.

I love some of the story tellers

The first one with the auzzie lady is hilarious, she tells her story (quite beautifully) and then the host is like

WOW -(REPEATS THE ENTIRE STORY IN BULLET POINT) AMAZING!!

if you like this i would heartily reccomend keshas podcast- its like a madder celebrity based version of this, but kesha is actually a really lovely and funny host. Has such moments as Sammy Hagar talking about his alien  abductjon:

I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING.......BUT IT WAS AWESOME?!?!

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2023, 08:28:46 PMMandatory Redistribution Party is my new fave, it's excellent - I started with their recent amazing deep dive on the career of Paddy McGuinness and since been chomping steadily through the old episodes. TRY IT

Oh wow, just listened to this, fantastic! Looking forward to working through the rest.