Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What podcasts/YouTube audio shit do you listen to?

Started by Flouncer, February 20, 2023, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I like Behind the Bastards, but there are a lot of filler episodes with tenuous bastards.

Brian Freeze

I finished The Fun Factory an hour ago.

Thanks @jobotic . I've laughed, cried, swore, learnt stuff, been thoroughly entertained and emailed the author saying how much Id enjoyed it.

Jerrykeshton

I found a podcast consisting entirely of off-air recordings (mostly from static heavy AM radio) of the American night time host Art Bell and his Coast to Coast AM radio shows from the 1990s and early 2000s.

Art's stock in trade is paranormal, UFOs and conspiracy theories. But there are other offbeat things in there, like an interview with Willie Nelson.

Its hard to capture the essence of it, as there's relatively little scepticism in there, but very little endorsement either.

worth a listen

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy82YmVkOGI0OC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw?ep=14

jobotic

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 21, 2023, 05:43:42 AMI finished The Fun Factory an hour ago.

Thanks @jobotic . I've laughed, cried, swore, learnt stuff, been thoroughly entertained and emailed the author saying how much Id enjoyed it.

Thanks but I don't think it was me that recommended it!

Brian Freeze

Quote from: gib on March 21, 2023, 07:01:30 PMwas me

Ah, cheers to you then, it really gripped me.

Think I'll buy my dad the book/s as we both enjoyed his Balham to Bollywood book n all. Was chuffed to find it was the same fella and he's from round here.

IsavedLatin

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 21, 2023, 12:06:58 AMI didn't really know much about Diana, but nothing in that episode (series of episodes?) struck me as being incompatible with what little I did know.

Now I think of it, was that episode researched by Marshall, with the ones we've had issues with (Beatles YWA, Ehrlich IBCK) being researched by Hobbes? Maybe that points to him being a journalist rather than a writer, and having to prioritise that work over podcast research? I was always impressed how they could release an episode a week with the research alternating between them, cos even if that was their only job you could always tell they'd put a lot of hours in.

This felt very true, and I went back to dip in to the Diana episodes ... to find that those were Hobbes episodes. So I'm not sure what causes some to ring true and others not to!

touchingcloth

Quote from: IsavedLatin on March 21, 2023, 10:38:57 PMThis felt very true, and I went back to dip in to the Diana episodes ... to find that those were Hobbes episodes. So I'm not sure what causes some to ring true and others not to!

Thanks! Truly you are the diligent Marshall to my sloppy Hobbes

gib

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 21, 2023, 10:06:05 PMAh, cheers to you then, it really gripped me.

Think I'll buy my dad the book/s as we both enjoyed his Balham to Bollywood book n all. Was chuffed to find it was the same fella and he's from round here.

i only found out about it from some ads that were in some podcast i was listening to at the time, sometimes you strike gold

Fry

Are there any more recommendations for funny current event/ in the news type stuff? Also looking for more movie/TV pods too.

Pink Gregory

just necro-ing this thread to say I've been enjoying Bryan Quimby's (Street Fight Radio among others) "Guys" podcast.

nothing exceptional, the idea is investigating different groups of 'guys' - i.e. men with one very specific interest and their communities - which translates into reading weird posts on different sub-Reddits.

Has the potential to be a bit sneery but largely avoids it as most of the posts are, well, Reddit-y, the hosts have an easy-going humour that doesn't lean too stoner-y.  Has the potential to lean into more serious discussions (the 'Fashion Guys' episode in particular) but largely doesn't.  Had more than a few good yucks.  If you want to listen to an hour learning about dated humour website 'The Chive', listen to 'Guys'

Johnboy

I like the look of this, thanks

I'm a bit fascinated at the moment by the mountain of nerding out that is Reddit

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Johnboy on March 06, 2024, 01:19:11 PMI like the look of this, thanks

I'm a bit fascinated at the moment by the mountain of nerding out that is Reddit

https://sites.libsyn.com/458346

Have especially
 enjoyed - Rockabilly Guys, Chive Guys, Weed Guys, Fashion Guys, Sales Guys.  Avoid the Real Ale guys episode because it's Americans being wrong about British beer.

poo

Americans talking about British beer sounds like the worst concept ever conceived about anything.

lauraxsynthesis

Because I have dogs to walk I get through lots of audio. Since this is General Bullshit I'll again recommend Icklewick FM though I can't find a non-broken link on BBC Sounds for it at the moment.

I'm still listening to and Patreoning The Demon Seed which gets worse each week particularly when Mike Bubbins is off making his sitcom.

The Alexei Sayle Podcast
The Blindboy Podcast
Bad Gays
Here Comes the Guillotine - new one from Frankie Boyle, Susie McCabe & Christopher Macarthur-Boyd

When I want to geek out on Red Dwarf I put on new eps of Better Than Life (currently doing SII) or Shipwrecked & Comatose (XX).

I used to mostly listen to lefty political podcasts, but I'm trying to occasionally get some sleep in spite of the genocide at the moment.

Pink Gregory

Bad Gays is brilliant, some episodes are a little light on information and recently Huw and Ben seem to have fewer deep discussions on the themes of the episode because they've covered it in the previous 7 series, but what a run.

bgmnts

A podcast I listen to, that hasn't put out an episode since 2020, has sneakily put out two episodes in the past fortnight. They had an off and on output since about 2016 but I've been listening to them since 2010/11, and it made me feel so incredibly old and nostalgic.

It felt like a tsunami of time hitting me square in the face and drowning me.

Icehaven

Might have already been mentioned but there's a podcast called The Gatekeepers on BBC Sounds, about the birth and development of social media and the impact it's had and is having on the world. It's up to episode 6 of 8 at the moment and so far it's very much focused on the negatives, how it's aided election meddling, fake news, teenage self harm and bullying/pile ons and how the platforms themselves haven't adequately responded etc. The earlier episodes were more interesting to me as they were more about the early days of how SM developed but it's gone a bit pearl clutching now and you'd think every Facebook message ever sent is contributing to the breakdown of society. It's also not presenting anything new to anyone fairly online so that's clearly not the target audience.