Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dan Wootton Allegations (split topic)

Started by daf, July 15, 2023, 03:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on July 16, 2023, 11:27:23 AMPeople accuse the GB News presenters of being tinfoil hat-wearing far right conspiracy theorists because they kind of are. Fucking hell, it's so bloody typical that my team's manager ended up in hospital with COVID complications and yet Fox is an antivaxxer scumbag and never once gets ill.

During lockdown GB News required everyone to be vaccinated before entering their studios. Fox has had the vaccine, the bullshitting fraud.

superthunderstingcar

GB News, where up is down and black is white. No not like that.

Dr Rock

It's a plot by the BBC, who have cunningly not covered the allegations against Dan Wooton at all.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2023, 11:56:55 AMDuring lockdown GB News required everyone to be vaccinated before entering their studios. Fox has had the vaccine, the bullshitting fraud.
Does that mean Matt Le Tissier had it as well? It would be immensely funny if he had.

GB News requiring everyone to be vaccinated is even funnier considering how much those cunts bang on about VACCINES BAD.

Pink Gregory

ah but don't you know it's about debate and challenging the consensus ahhh

Fambo Number Mive

I know it's what they want, but I'm really getting worn down by the bullshit GB News spews out and how its viewers lap it up. Private Eye keeps claiming not many people watch it, but it's not just what it broadcasts on TV, its what it spreads online. It's frightening how much influence GB News has and how it claims to be some kind of anti-establishment channel when Tory MPs have shows on there. Along with TalkTV probably the vilest news organisation out there.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on July 16, 2023, 12:06:53 PMDoes that mean Matt Le Tissier had it as well? It would be immensely funny if he had.

GB News requiring everyone to be vaccinated is even funnier considering how much those cunts bang on about VACCINES BAD.

I can't find a source for that now but I do recall people calling various GB News guests hypocrites over this.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 16, 2023, 12:09:53 PMI know it's what they want, but I'm really getting worn down by the bullshit GB News spews out and how its viewers lap it up. Private Eye keeps claiming not many people watch it, but it's not just what it broadcasts on TV, its what it spreads online. It's frightening how much influence GB News has and how it claims to be some kind of anti-establishment channel when Tory MPs have shows on there. Along with TalkTV probably the vilest news organisation out there.

I have met about 2 people outside of the internet who even knows what GB news is and both think it's a joke spouting crap.

Kankurette

My stepdad watches it but it's because he wants to see 'what the other side is saying'. He's definitely not their target audience. Personally, I would rather stare at a wall.

Simon Jones PR who worked closely with DW and Simon Cowell's Syco deleting pictures.

steveh

They're also extremely selective when talking about ratings, finding the half hour in which they happened to beat Sky News for example, when GB News averages something like only 40K viewers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2023, 10:10:52 AMPffffft, you think that's sassy?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/jan/09/judge-who-swore-at-abusive-defendant-cleared-of-misconduct

If you call a judge a cunt and all they decide to do is call you one back I reckon you're getting off lightly.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 16, 2023, 12:09:53 PMI know it's what they want, but I'm really getting worn down by the bullshit GB News spews out and how its viewers lap it up. Private Eye keeps claiming not many people watch it, but it's not just what it broadcasts on TV, its what it spreads online. It's frightening how much influence GB News has and how it claims to be some kind of anti-establishment channel when Tory MPs have shows on there. Along with TalkTV probably the vilest news organisation out there.

It's mainly entertainment for the viewers, the majority of the people that watch it love watching shite that makes them angry and says "ooh are you angry? You should be, good boy".

That particular well of credulity is very deep. So I think putting GB News on telly is a spectacularly bad move by the cunts that run it. You could dodge ofcom,  fire out complete nonsense and coin it in with an online subscription only service. "20 million,trans, foreign, Muslim extremist Isis rapists on the dole move in to council flat next door to school for blonde blue eyed girl orphans - Are YOu AnGrY?"

They do pretty good numbers on YouTube, I'm sure there's plenty off material on there that could get them demonetized/deplatformed should it start getting reported heavily - this would be a problem for them.

Fake edit: Very rough guess after checking socialblade, their youtube gets ~70m views a month and probably brings in ~£100K a month.

BlodwynPig

If I was in charge, Fox would be imprisoned without trial. Simple. He is a threat to society, to the planet.

Dr Rock

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2023, 02:12:40 PMIf I was in charge, Fox would be imprisoned without trial. Simple. He is a threat to society, to the planet.

You do-gooders make me sick. If it was up to me he'd be launched into space.

edit - joke made less disgusting by squeamish author

Kankurette

I know this is harsh but I don't feel sorry for Sophie Corcoran tbh, she's a fucking dipshit. She's part of the whole right-wing media shitshow herself.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 16, 2023, 01:04:49 PMThey do pretty good numbers on YouTube, I'm sure there's plenty off material on there that could get them demonetized/deplatformed should it start getting reported heavily - this would be a problem for them.

Fake edit: Very rough guess after checking socialblade, their youtube gets ~70m views a month and probably brings in ~£100K a month.

I extracted the subtitle transcripts from the latest 8000 GB News videos on YouTube. It might help with identifying potential violations or hate speech without having to watch hours of shite.

GB News transcripts of latest 8000 videos (43M text)
GB News transcripts of latest 8000 videos (16M gzipped)

There are another 8000 or so that could be fetched, and the video metadata and time-coded subtitles are still available if needed.

Sebastian Cobb

It really wouldn't surprise me if big accounts/broadcasters aren't subject to the same algorithmic deplatforming/demonetization that your average Youtube creator is (much like blue-ticks clearly aren't subject to the same moderation practices as normal twitter accounts). I guess Mx Wrongs subtitle analysis will provide into insight into that though.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2023, 09:34:03 AMIt really wouldn't surprise me if big accounts/broadcasters aren't subject to the same algorithmic deplatforming/demonetization that your average Youtube creator is (much like blue-ticks clearly aren't subject to the same moderation practices as normal twitter accounts).

An account that large will definately have a 'guy' at youtube they can deal with directly rather than having to go through the automated process, bigger accounts than GB News have been demonetized lately though so it is a possibility.

Nice work @Mx Wrongs

Quote from: Kankurette on July 16, 2023, 07:10:31 PMI know this is harsh but I don't feel sorry for Sophie Corcoran tbh, she's a fucking dipshit. She's part of the whole right-wing media shitshow herself.

Yeah, she's very cynically realised that there's money to be made from being one of the few young, female fash grifters, but has also found out the hard way that most of the men she now keeps company with aren't just playing devil's advocate for money like she is. This isn't a game to them, this is how they really are.

Flouncer

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 16, 2023, 01:04:49 PMThey do pretty good numbers on YouTube, I'm sure there's plenty off material on there that could get them demonetized/deplatformed should it start getting reported heavily - this would be a problem for them.

No wonder they do well on YT. There's a breaking news section by default on your main page, which invariably has a GB News video on it alongside Sky, the BBC etc. - as usual, YT promoting right wing material in a way they simply don't with left wing stuff.

Pranet

Quote from: Mx Wrongs on July 17, 2023, 09:26:57 AMI extracted the subtitle transcripts from the latest 8000 GB News videos on YouTube. It might help with identifying potential violations or hate speech without having to watch hours of shite.

GB News transcripts of latest 8000 videos (43M text)
GB News transcripts of latest 8000 videos (16M gzipped)

There are another 8000 or so that could be fetched, and the video metadata and time-coded subtitles are still available if needed.

I wonder if someone like Matthew Sweet might be interested in that, or know someone who is?

Pranet

Quote from: Flouncer on July 17, 2023, 10:20:50 AMNo wonder they do well on YT. There's a breaking news section by default on your main page, which invariably has a GB News video on it alongside Sky, the BBC etc. - as usual, YT promoting right wing material in a way they simply don't with left wing stuff.

Yeah I keep getting GB News (and other right wing media) suggested to me and I never watch stuff like that on YT, I don't even watch much mainstream or left wing news stuff on YT because I don't want that sort of thing suggested to me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Flouncer on July 17, 2023, 10:20:50 AMNo wonder they do well on YT. There's a breaking news section by default on your main page, which invariably has a GB News video on it alongside Sky, the BBC etc. - as usual, YT promoting right wing material in a way they simply don't with left wing stuff.

Is this something you can disable? I don't recall turning it off but I don't see it.

I noticed they've seemingly now removed the X that let you hide shorts for a while, but if you use adblock, there's templates to block it.
https://letsblock.it/filters/youtube-shorts

(site also has helpers to block specific channels, mixes/radio, already watched videos)

@Pranet https://letsblock.it/filters/youtube-channel

buttgammon

I never see GB News on YouTube thankfully but I'm always getting recommended Talk TV, which I presume is more or less the same, despite hardly ever watching anything politics related. The algorithm is getting noticeably wonkier, not just with politics and news, but it indicates a much more insidious problem than the home page being flooded with hydraulic press videos because you watched one or two of them a year ago.

MoreauVasz

Are you people living in 2008? How are you still allowing YT to fill your feed with right-wing news?

Pranet

I should say perhaps that I rarely log in to YT, so their suggestions are based on the videos I have previously viewed but I can't block channels or anything like that.

edit Ah- sorry just seen Sebastian Cobb's post- thank you will look into it.

Second edit- though the point is more than it being annoying for me, it is concerning that the algorithm pushes right wing media.