Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Running

Started by Magnum Valentino, July 28, 2023, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I have come to realise running is the only form of exercise I have any shot at doing forever, but I haven't quite cracked a routine for it yet (still have a ten month old at home).

Not sure I want to commit to weights or anything else but I seem to be able to do a 5K after prolonged periods of inactivity and I've cracked the whole balance of breathing and pacing and making sure I cool down and never ache afterwards.

But I don't consider myself "a runner", even after running 5 consecutive 5ks this week. I still feel like someone who's trying to lose weight running (which is true) rather than someone who does this as part of a committed healthy lifestyle.

Also as a consequence of my original couch to 5k mindset, I rarely ever run for more than 35 minutes or so, and I can't do "quick" 5ks.

Just wondering who else on the board runs, how long you been doing it, what kind of runs, do you like it (I've a friend who runs but hates it), and just any advice or thoughts on running in general.

Treadmill/roads?

Music/books/silence?

Running!

buttgammon

I used to really like running but I have a dodgy achilles and I suspect it exacerbated this and also helped to make a mess of my feet, so I do all my cardio on the elliptical now. There's something comparatively sterile about the gym, and there are times when I miss getting out there more.

Music was always key for me, and I'd try to mix up my route a bit where possible, although I always cheated with a particular hill in the area and made sure I was running down it 95% of the time. I'd mostly run 5k or thereabouts but when I was really into it, I used to go on a longer run on a Sunday morning too.

QDRPHNC

I only just got back into running last month. About 5 year back I could do 6-7k easy, 10 year back I was doing 15-20k (not easy). Now I'm just going out for a gentle 2.5k through the neighbourhood every morning around 6am. Despite the much shorter distances, I'm still feeling the mental health benefits massively. I come back feeling alert, energetic and positive. First few days it was hard to drag myself out of bed, but by the fourth, I actually wanted to keep the streak going and it turned into something I actually wanted to do.

So that's what I would say to people. If you can only run 1k, run 1k every morning. Do whatever you can, it feels great (later, after a shower).

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 28, 2023, 06:27:18 PMBut I don't consider myself "a runner", even after running 5 consecutive 5ks this week. I still feel like someone who's trying to lose weight

I'm the same. What's weird is that I'm pretty tall and don't have a runners build at all, but running seems to be the exercise that gels with me. I'd rather jog around the neighbourhood at 6am than stand in my bedroom lifting dumbbells.

Quote from: buttgammon on July 28, 2023, 07:28:09 PMMusic was always key for me

Back when I used to run with my partner, I had this idea for an app that would connect 2 (or more) phones via bluetooth, so when you're out running with someone, you know you're listening to the same music at the the same time. And the further apart you get, the music would get quieter and slower, getting back to full speed and volume when you synced up your paces.

JamesTC

I run 6 miles a day, 6 days a week. Only a mile every ten minutes so nothing strenuous. The amount per week is due to losing weight. Once I get to my target weight, I plan on easing up. It does seem to have built a bit of muscle under the flab, which is nice.

Still trying to work my way fully back from my bad ankle injury. Still gets a little stiff but is nearly 100% now, I think.

I've started using wrist weights the last couple of months. Now it feels like I've got nothing on my wrists, so it has done a bit of good. I hate all other exercise so anything I can do to work other areas is a win.

I've also now got the confidence to run in shorts, which feels good. I've not worn shorts since I was in primary school. Those big chonky calves are mostly muscle now.

MojoJojo

I started running in 2018,although covid plus a bad back in 2021 stopped me for a bit.

Done 40km this week, although normally I do 20-30km. Mostly 5-15km runs. I've done a couple of half marathons, but not interested in going further.

It's really helped my mental health, and I'm actually a little worried I've become dependent on it. I'm going to get injured and have to stop at some point and I might fall apart when that happens, especially as a lot of my social activities revolve around running.

Marner and Me

I have four weeks off of work coming up, I will get bang back into it. I'll be looking to run five/six days a week

Monday will be a 4 mile as fast as I can

Tuesday will be a longer slower, so 6 - 8 mile at 9 minute mile pace

Wednesday will be a repeat of Tuesday

Thursday as above

Friday will be 4 miles at 9 minute mile pace

Saturday 6 miles.

Invest in proper running trainers, goto a shop and get a pair that fit.

A mate of mine runs 60 - 70 miles a week his top tip is on one of your runs a week, extend it by 10%

Hydration before and after is key along with a good stretching routine. I find Tom Merricks on YT very good.

I will also periodically get dry needling from a physio and I'll take ice baths.

Do a marathon and then quit and get fat.  Actually don't do that, it fucking sucks

buttgammon

Someone I know signed up for a marathon thinking it was just another name for a 10k, and because she could already run 10 km, what was the harm in not bothering to train? I don't think she finished it.

kalowski

I started a few years ago and found I'm quite good at it (for a 51 year old). Did 6km this morning. I usually do three 4-7k runs a week, although I have been very busy at work recently.

dontpaintyourteeth

I haven't run anywhere since 1999

Magnum Valentino

If not's the sort of thing that's FORBIDDEN (I don't know the etiquette), would you folks mind sharing your times for these runs?

For comparison my usual 'easy' treadmill 5K is about 33 minutes, and I can manage about 28 mins if I maintain a higher main speed and bate like fuck for the last half a mile or so.

dr beat

I try and aim to do what I call a 'long' run once a week.  That's 3 laps of The Meadows in Edinburgh which I believe is about 4.8 miles.  Takes me about 40 minutes on average.

Another 3 times a week I do interval runs - very light jogging for 90 seconds followed by going as intensely as possible for 60 seconds.  I repeat that 8 or 9 times.

Norton Canes

Tried a few park runs then very quickly saw sense and got back on my bike

kalowski

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 28, 2023, 08:47:46 PMIf not's the sort of thing that's FORBIDDEN (I don't know the etiquette), would you folks mind sharing your times for these runs?

For comparison my usual 'easy' treadmill 5K is about 33 minutes, and I can manage about 28 mins if I maintain a higher main speed and bate like fuck for the last half a mile or so.
My 6k today was 29:59 and earlier in the week it was 29:46.
My best 5k was 23:30 which I don't think I'll get close to again. This week I did a 5k in 23:57. 27 seconds isba big difference.

poo

Trail runs or GTFO. How anyone runs on tarmac/concrete is beyond me. Horrible and not good for you.

shiftwork2

Running is undertaken by assholes.

JamesTC

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 28, 2023, 09:30:56 PMRunning is undertaken by assholes.

I tend to use my feet instead and the results are much better.

Emma Raducanu

I've probably done a few park runs with Norton Canes. I'm a sub 20 minute 5k guy so he's probably checked out my arse.

I've been running for nearly 20 years. Addressing the issue of not "feeling like a runner", I understand what you mean. This will come when you develop consistency. If you're not running frequently enough, you fail to make meaningful progress. Without ever making progress, running will never feel natural.

If you invest in a running watch, you can record your times. By recording your times, you can track your splits and from here you can challenge yourself to run quicker on a weekly basis. Without tracking your times, it becomes a meaningless activity. Challenging yourself encourages progress.

There will come a point, if you're running consistently at least 2-3 times per week, where you will develop a tangible sense of having 'become a runner'. Running will no longer feel an overwhelming challenge, it won't feel like a struggle, you won't feel like you're running in treacle, you won't feel like a twat. Within a few months you can run with ease. It is exhilirating when you can run fast and it feel like the most natural thing in the world. I frequently get the feeling that 'I could run like this forever'. Obviously I could not and tire eventually, but it is a distinct physical/mental synchronicity.

shiftwork2

I would like to apologise to all the assholes who enjoy running.  I misspoke.

Proactive

Been running for about 3-4 months doing a sort of vague couch to 5k. Gradually worked through all the various aches and pains to the point where I could do 5k, not with ease as such, but in about 30 mins and a pretty quick recovery.

However, I've developed a pain in my hip which just won't fucking go away (went out today just for 2k in first time for a week as I wanted to rest it, and it's flaring badly again), so I'm starting to wonder if my body just isn't built for it, which I don't like the idea of as I really enjoy it.

I've had my gait analysed and have a good pair of shoes, I warm up before I go and stretch and foam roll after. I do exercises targeted at strengthening the hip flexors and anything attached to it, but I'm coming up short. Next stop physiotherapy I guess.

Emma Raducanu

Aches, pains and injuries are part and parcel of a runners life I'm afraid. Find a runner who never has an injury. About 10 years ago my achilles tendon, for want of a better word, exploded. A few years ago I ran for 6 months through severe knee pain. It was so bad once, I literally started crying (I was about 5 miles from home).

Proactive

Quote from: Emma Raducanu on July 28, 2023, 11:18:19 PMAches, pains and injuries are part and parcel of a runners life I'm afraid. Find a runner who never has an injury. About 10 years ago my achilles tendon, for want of a better word, exploded. A few years ago I ran for 6 months through severe knee pain. It was so bad once, I literally started crying (I was about 5 miles from home).

Yeah I get that, but I worry that I'm doing more harm than good in the long run. My current thinking is that I'll rest it for as long as it takes and once it's gone, basically start from scratch and learn from my previous mistakes, with more focus on suplimentary exercises. Seems daft spending the whole week in pain for the sake of 3 x 30 minute runs a week.

hamfist

I used to be really into it. Ran seven full marathons and more halfs than I can remember.

Since moving to the UK it's gone to shit as there aren't good places to run where I live and I can't find a routine, am such a social leper I have nobody to run with. Excuses maybe.

Used to weigh 80kg in 2014, marathon under 4 hours, 10k under 50 minutes. Struggle to finish 10k these days and it takes over 1h. Weigh 110kg.

Meh. Wish I was 2014 me when I lived somewhere beautiful with trails-a-mundo and was lithe and quite fast.

madhair60

motherfuck running

Ferris

About 6 years ago I got dead into it running about 30km a week and became all thin and handsome, then I crocked my right knee which has never been the same since and I moved away from my nice shiny apartment building with the gym and I've never bothered again.

Ok cheers.

shoulders

Cerys

Speaking as a great steaming cripple, I find this thread extremely offensive and will be reporting it to the moderators as soon as I can get my typing finger to co-operate.

Magnum Valentino

My local park run is a fucking bollocks, there's one hill that's just a killer together.

The few times that I did it, the same woman walked the hill, recuperated, then casually overtook me on the last downhill stretch to finish just in front of me.

I do not walk while running, Carmel. I run! You are cheating the running!

Anyone else have tales of petty psychological silliness while exercising?

jobotic

My last run was 5.78km in 32.56 stats fans. It was 5 days ago.

Ten years ago I used to do a couple a week and would rarely run less than 12-15km. Nowadays I probably do 2 or 3 a month between 5 and 8km. Probably does more harm than good at my ripe old age.

Should go swimming. That's what biddies do isn't it? 

flotemysost

I like running but I'm really not arsed about recoding times and distances and personal bests and all that; I do it because I literally just want to run around a bit, be outdoors listening to music and burn off some energy. Lots of people I work with are very keen runners and at one point they suggested I link up with them on one of the running apps to compare times, which would have been absolutely mortifying

Definitely better with speed than stamina, and I'm probably doing it completely wrong and gradually grinding my joints to kibble, but I find keeping the stakes extremely low from the get-go is generally a good way to not disappoint yourself. Kudos to all who've managed to achieve goals and get fit and everything though.