Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:37:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Running

Started by Magnum Valentino, July 28, 2023, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

I got to a point where angry drivers, breathlessness, sudden chest pains and wondering if I'd ever finish all got too much for me ... so I stopped wanking on the bus and took up running!!!!!!!

I've still got decent stamina when I'm playing foopbo but I just can't hack pavement running. For years I walked to and from various jobs - one was a 65-minute walk away - and it didn't bother me at all as I like being in my own head. Trying to run the same routes just wasn't the same - too jarring on the legs and I could never properly zone out because of the hazards. Oh well.

Butchers Blind

Get you some bad knees later in life.

Janie Jones

No it doesn't. There's some evidence that regular running protects against joint degradation. I've run 4-5K nearly every day for decades, I'm old and my knees are in fine fettle.

Sebastian Cobb

Fair play to anyone who can just go out and do exercise by itself. I find the only way I have any hope of doing it is making it transport to and from other jobs so I can't sack it off.

Magnum Valentino

What do you listen to?

Napalm Death's Enemy of the Music Business is my best friend if I feel like I can't manage a run.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 29, 2023, 12:44:54 PMWhat do you listen to?

Napalm Death's Enemy of the Music Business is my best friend if I feel like I can't manage a run.

Well since you ask, I use this mixtape as the perfect cadence to get 5K under 27 minutes at Parkrun:

Jay-Z - I just wanna love you
The War on Drugs - Baby Missiles
Skee-lo - I Wish
Pond - Sweep me off my feet
John Barry - Theme from the Persuaders
Sea Pinks - Peripheral Vision
Harry Styles - Daylight
Pa Salieu - Betty
Hers - What once was
MGMT - Electric Feel (TBH this is a bit fast for me if the terrain's tough or the wind's against me so I don't beat myself up if I fall out of step with it)

Dex Sawash

Terence Bowl

Quote from: Emma Raducanu on July 28, 2023, 10:53:58 PMI've been running for nearly 20 years.
You must be fucking miles away by now.

flotemysost

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 29, 2023, 12:44:54 PMWhat do you listen to?

Mix it up all the time, but I used to have a running playlist that featured Iron Head by Helmet, and the bit where Page Hamilton goes WWUUEEAAARRGGGHHHH a couple of minutes in always coincided very cathartically with a downhill slope on my route at the time that made it feel like all the breath was being knocked out of you.

I'm disgustingly unfit though, so I find "running for 2 or 3 [standard 3-minute-or-so] songs, walking for 1" is a good way to get some gentle exercise in and get your heart rate up without dying straight away.

Gambrinus

I'm annoyed because I've barely run in a year due to a combination of a bad injury, depression, stress from work being a cunt, and the fact that if you continue eating like you're running 50km a week when you are running about a quarter of that at best you will put a shed load of weight on.

Once I'm over this COVID I've got now I'm starting couch to 5k again. I want to be able to get back to being able to go and run a half marathon without even thinking about it again.

JamesTC

I ran 8 miles today. 2 miles more than normal because I wanted to go to a cemetery.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

ZoyzaSorris

ZoyzaSorris

They say you can run but you can't hide, but that's bollocks, I can't run (because I'm fucked)

flotemysost

Quote from: JamesTC on July 29, 2023, 03:59:32 PMI wanted to go to a cemetery.

You'll end up there soon enough if you carry on like that!

(jk, well done)

Kankurette

I hate running. I'm overweight so it hurts my knees, but even when I was thin I couldn't run. And I'm way too paranoid to run in public. Swimming, on the other hand, I love.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 28, 2023, 06:27:18 PMI have come to realise running is the only form of exercise I have any shot at doing forever

Can I just shock you?

Magnum Valentino

What would anyone recommend as a couple of great meals to eat for post run recovery? Trying to maximize effectiveness if possible.

flotemysost

Bang a fat line of iron filings
6x pints Huel
An entire rat

yeah I don't actually know, sorry - guess it depends how far you're going? Everyone seems to talk about carb loading before running, I just sort of assumed afterwards you could eat whatever the fuck you wanted for a while because you're in god mode.

touchingcloth

Carb unloading. Just do a massive pasta shit.

hamfist

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 30, 2023, 10:58:34 PMCarb unloading. Just do a massive pasta shit.

Curling off parpadelle in a glade

Queefing out a length of rigatone

Plipping conchiglie onto a bench

Clenching, straining then heaving a thick buccatini into a golf hole

madhair60

i've been running all my life. but what i'm running from, nobody can escape. nobody can ever outrun. you see, i'm running from Sonic the Hedgehog.

touchingcloth

Quote from: hamfist on July 30, 2023, 11:10:43 PMCurling off parpadelle in a glade

Queefing out a length of rigatone

Plipping conchiglie onto a bench

Clenching, straining then heaving a thick buccatini into a golf hole

Fucking fart a farfalle.

Magnum Valentino

What's everyone's warm up? Past few years I've done nothing more than two minutes quick walking but in starting to think my lack of warmup is holding me back, particularly where hills are concerned and I can feel the fatigue in my thighs really quickly.

Any recommendations?

vanilla.coffee

Wreck your knees and use up all your heart beats.
Running. 

Gambrinus

On week 2 of Couch to 5k, being patronised by Jo Whiley.

Top tip: if you're a regular runner don't stop. Getting back to fitness is a right twat

Magnum Valentino

Good on you boss, keep at it. I also struggled to get back after a year off.

shoulders

Permanently damaged my spine from running in unsuitable footwear (and for some reason carrying on even though it was hurting) so whatever anyone does, by the fucking best jogging shoes you can afford.

markburgle

Quote from: Gambrinus on August 18, 2023, 10:44:00 PMOn week 2 of Couch to 5k, being patronised by Jo Whiley.

Top tip: if you're a regular runner don't stop. Getting back to fitness is a right twat

I chose "Laura", a random civilian, and am week 5. I wish there was a choice of motivation styles, not just different voices. Rather than "you're half way, you're doing so well" which causes me to waste breath telling her to fuck off, I'd prefer "Oh god you just ran for 3 minutes, you need to walk for a bit so you don't die".

I have no energy so I find running boring and hard, but being an inert depressed lump is worse. I will say that once I'm out there I'm generally glad I left the house

katzenjammer

You've inspired me lads, just downloaded that nhs couch to 5k app. How should I go about getting some suitable footwear so I don't permanently damage my spine?