Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pub News: Crooked House Burnt

Started by Blumf, August 06, 2023, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

You can't bring the building back, but if we can bankrupt the fuckers who tore the original down in trying then so much the better.

idunnosomename

it's like 8° off vertical. build a buttress of 13°. job done?

except how does this support the other flank wall. do you know if the other flank wall was as consistently the same degree out of plumb? (it wasnt). how do the iron ties and internal framings at floor and roof level work. An awful lot to think about if it's going to be essentially a masonry building which generally likes gravity to keep it together.

obviously the easiest thing to do would be stick a hard standing foundation, steel frame, then just dress it with curtain walling brickwork that doesn't structurally do anything. but that's no fun is it.

It should absolutely bankrupt the Taylors but they should also face criminal charges for ignoring the agreed action by the planning officers after the fire, and endangering the general public by doing a reckless, unsafe demolition. And also the fire, and break-in that forced out the tenant, which they obviously did as well.

shoulders

And Marston's should fund it if they can't. Don't forget about those cunts.

Jittlebags

As long as they put a bottle of builder piss in a stud wall, it doesn't matter how wonky it is.

Goldentony

who are these FUCKING NECROPHILE CUNTS wanting MENTAL BUILDINGS made!!!!!

Goldentony

YOU KNOCK MY PUB DOWN I MAKE YOU FUCK THE FLOOR LITTLE MAN!!!!! GET ON THAT FLOOR!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 28, 2024, 01:16:31 AMAs long as they put a bottle of builder piss in a stud wall, it doesn't matter how wonky it is.
What if it's an open bottle of piss that starts spilling out once the wall wonks past a certain point?

Russ L

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on February 28, 2024, 02:18:38 AMWhat if it's an open bottle of piss that starts spilling out once the wall wonks past a certain point?

This will be Marstons' replacement for the Burton Union brewing sets.

GMTV

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 27, 2024, 08:25:33 PMit's like 8° off vertical. build a buttress of 13°. job done?

except how does this support the other flank wall. do you know if the other flank wall was as consistently the same degree out of plumb? (it wasnt). how do the iron ties and internal framings at floor and roof level work. An awful lot to think about if it's going to be essentially a masonry building which generally likes gravity to keep it together.

obviously the easiest thing to do would be stick a hard standing foundation, steel frame, then just dress it with curtain walling brickwork that doesn't structurally do anything. but that's no fun is it.

It should absolutely bankrupt the Taylors but they should also face criminal charges for ignoring the agreed action by the planning officers after the fire, and endangering the general public by doing a reckless, unsafe demolition. And also the fire, and break-in that forced out the tenant, which they obviously did as well.

That's what I was thinking, either build it old school and non wonky. Or let them use steel etc to wonkify it to give them some reasonable chance of success. Otherwise it'll probably never end up rebuilt.

Russ L

I bet someone a pound today that this will never actually be rebuilt.  In a year's time I'm going to be quid in.

shoulders

https://www.extremehousewife.com/2023/08/the-crooked-house-demolition/

The above is an article from last year but is being kept frequently updated with all recent developments, some of which may be of interest.

idunnosomename

Much as I am loathed to link such a rag, the Sunday Times article linked in that is quite interesting, as they consult a lot of experts. I don't think the diagrams they've commissioned are exact in the way the metal ties work though. or that the building is a consistent degree out of plumb on its flank walls.

https://archive.is/RZxbi

Alberon

Crooked Pub owners (who were in no way responsible for the fire) have proposed rebuilding the pub, but somewhere else.

QuoteBut in appeal documents, it said the current location was "not viable" for a pub and rebuilding on land it owns in the nearby area would increase its "chance of success as a community asset".

South Staffordshire Council's enforcement notice states the pub must be built back to what it was prior to the fire. An appeal against the order is set to be heard in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxx8wpgnk78o

Sounds like another attempt to leave the original Crooked Pub site free for whatever they wanted to build in the first place.

idunnosomename

landfill. in fact it's the low-level mining tunnels that undermined the building they want to stuff full of more rubbish. you can see upthread they're trying to squeeze the very last out of their landfill operation at that site.

still wondering when the Taylors will get fingered by the authorities for the destruction of the essential pub utilities that forced out the landlord who was trying to run it as a community asset that caused Marstons to sell it on the open market. that's far more criminal than torching and knocking down an unlisted building you own.

And it is incredibly likely Marstons knew the main people who wanted the site were the landfill cunts when they put it up for the landlord to run the building on tenancy at will terms, so make of that what you will

Ferris

And get a functioning money-spinning boozer into the bargain.

The original was in a very odd location, down a tiny side road, under railway bridges etc. You had to drive really, which is a bit inhibiting for an alcohol-selling business.

Relocating it somewhere more accessible would likely make it more of a destination and the new incarnation would make more £££. It's grifting all the way down.

shoulders

The kind of pub that a certain kind of people flock to, in fact. There are loads of slightly out on a limb pubs doing fantastic business. They've just positioned themselves accordingly.

When the pub was tied to Marstons it had no direction because their model is so rubbish and appeals to basically no-one from tenant to customers.

Berries

I could kill a pint of Pedigree right now,

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on April 15, 2024, 08:56:37 AMThe kind of pub that a certain kind of people flock to, in fact. There are loads of slightly out on a limb pubs doing fantastic business. They've just positioned themselves accordingly.

When the pub was tied to Marstons it had no direction because their model is so rubbish and appeals to basically no-one from tenant to customers.

You are correct, but that takes effort.

I suspect their vision board for a relocated crooked house just says "wonky wetherspoons".

Norton Canes

ITV must already have a writer working on the screen adaptation

Blumf

The restaurant part of it was pretty decent, a step up from the usual pub grub. Was worth going for that, even if you couldn't hammer back several pints because driving. A smarter company could have made it work easily.

The long narrow road to it, with hardly any passing points, was fucking grim though.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 15, 2024, 11:47:56 AMITV must already have a writer working on the screen adaptation

Toby Jones is going to play the pub.

buzby

Quote from: Ferris on April 14, 2024, 09:02:50 PMThe original was in a very odd location, down a tiny side road, under railway bridges etc. You had to drive really, which is a bit inhibiting for an alcohol-selling business.
It was also originally surrounded by a colliery (it was converted into a pub from a corn mill when the colliery opened, primarly to serve the miners), then clay pits and when they were exhausted two landfill sites. It was not exactly a pub where you would while away a summer afternoon enjoying the view.

Blumf

Also, the Burn Bullock in Mitcham has, er... burned...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/20/fire-partly-destroys-grade-ii-listed-london-pub
QuoteA heritage-listed pub has been damaged in a blaze that began on Friday night.

Three floors of the Grade II-listed Burn Bullock in Mitcham, south-west London were damaged in the fire, which also destroyed the building's roof, the London fire brigade said. Twelve fire engines and about 80 firefighters were deployed to tackle the fire.

Thanking the emergency services in a post on X, Merton council's leader, Ross Garrod, said an investigation into the blaze would take place.

Bets now, on the state of the pub prior to the fire!

QuoteEdward Foley, an independent councillor for the nearby ward of Merton Park, said the building had been empty for a decade and had fallen into disrepair

You a winnar!!

Captain Z

Let's not jump to conclusions, it's possible that all these pubs were hit by a container ship.

Sebastian Cobb

A lovely little deso experience I had in early 2017 was having to be present for site acceptance testing, in Staines, of some software I was tangentially involved in, I was sent down as the business analyst was pregnant and about a fortnight away from being induced and they didn't trust the graduate developer to conduct themselves properly despite them knowing far more than me.

I was holed up in the T5 Travelodge, in a room that smelled like wet dog. The bar/restaurant area was shit and filled up with workies tanking pints until close. So I checked Google maps, Greene King pub about 15 minutes walk away, sweet, that'll do for a change of scenery. Took longer than 15 minutes because it was all country lanes and no pavements. When I got there the thing was caged off and had no roof because it had burned down. Mint.

shoulders

The "most recent review" is often the first thing I check now, although that's not infallible, particularly abroad where people use different map apps (Mapy.cz is more used than Google in CZ for example, so sometimes working pubs won't have a review on Google for 6 months+).

GK pay Google to shovel their shit pubs to us on Maps, you'll note they get a special green(e) icon, so I'm surprised their head office wouldn't have pulled that one.