Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trans people we admire

Started by George White, September 06, 2023, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

As an alternative to our Glinner (featuring John Boyne) lead, I thought we'd have a thread to celebrate trans people we like.

I'll start with Hari Nef. Almost steals Barbie, and also has a fun Letterboxd account.

madhair60

shoulders

Butchers Blind

It gets a rough ride by a lot of people but it's got some interesting and somewhat prescient stuff on there and is by no means Neil's worst album.

dontpaintyourteeth

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2023, 05:16:04 PMgoblin

Seconded.

Fran Blanche; founder of Frantone, erstwhile guitar FX pedal company; runs an excellent geeky YouTube channel called FranLab (actually Fran Blanche, but is @franlab) these days, where the subject could be anything from day to day.

https://www.youtube.com/@FranLab/videos

Zheanna Erose/Amelia Huff; composer, performer, experimenting successfully in the field of microtonal music (amongst other things). This piece blew my mind:

Not just great microtonal music; simply great music (albeit from another planet).

oggyraiding

I like Laura Les from 100 Gecs. Seems a good laugh.

JaDanketies

jobotic

Obviously SOPHIE.

Also Cate Brooks of Advisory Circle.

Shaxberd

I'll probably keep coming back to this if it takes off, but here's a couple of starters.

A trans person from the past who I admire is Wendy Carlos, synthesiser pioneer:

And a trans person from the present I admire is Jay Hulme (Instagram | Twitter) who writes beautiful poetry and fascinating threads about his love of church architecture. I was pleasantly surprised the other day that my mum mentioned she'd been reading his posts, so glad she's found the nice bits of Twitter instead of getting radicalised.

Blumf

Vektroid of Vaporwave fame.

Probably load of other, but I wouldn't know, just people doing stuff and I don't pay attention to their life stories.

surreal

Alice Efe - youtube music producer with a great informative channel, they transitioned during the life of this channel so there are a lot of both pre- and post-transition videos.  First ones I saw were post so I was surprised when I found the earlier ones.

dontpaintyourteeth

Vivian Tylinska, Roz Kaveny, SOPHIE, Wendy Carlos

Icehaven

Barry Admin

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2023, 05:59:29 PMZheanna Erose/Amelia Huff; composer, performer, experimenting successfully in the field of microtonal music (amongst other things). This piece blew my mind:

Not just great microtonal music; simply great music (albeit from another planet).

Damn, that's amazing.

Pink Gregory

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

greencalx

Sophie Wilson, designer of the Arm chip that powers pretty much every smartphone and tablet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greencalx on September 06, 2023, 07:03:05 PMSophie Wilson, designer of the Arm chip that powers pretty much every smartphone and tablet.

I was going to say her.

Guess I'll add TAAHLIAH and Jordana (who might be better known under the production name 1.8.7.)

Brundle-Fly

Laverne Cox is pretty darn cool.

gmoney

Laura Jane Grace formerly of Against Me. Love her music, loved Against Me.
Dorian Electra. Makes some fantastic hyper pop.
Colette Arrand. Excellent pop culture writer.

Ron Superior

Patti Harrison:

Jackie Shane:

Haela Ravenna Hunt-Hendrix:

dontpaintyourteeth

Seconding... well, all of these suggestions really. But Patti Harrison is obviously one of the funniest people in the world. And I thought Laura Jane Grace's book was very good.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: greencalx on September 06, 2023, 07:03:05 PMSophie Wilson, designer of the Arm chip that powers pretty much every smartphone and tablet.

Yes -thank you for saving me having to google her.

Also I like the historian off Abandoned Engineering. I am just generally very bad with names.

Mister Six

Glad to see the SOPHIE love.

Do genderfluid and NB people count? If so I'll highlight Doran Electra (GF) -

- and my favourite comic book author, Grant Morrison (NB).

Also massive shout out to trans author Rachel Pollack, whose Doom Patrol run even beat Morrison's, and, though it might be a bit basic to point out, trans pop star Kim Petras, who's done some absolute bangers.

Dr Rock

Patti Harrison!

Also Counterpoints,Jessie Gender and Bugs bunny.
edit - and Philosophy Tube

Sebastian Cobb

Alice Caldwell-Kelly / AliceAvizandum off of WTYPPOD and Trashfuture.

George White

I really fancied Kim Petras as a 16 year old googling trans stuff.
It's good to see she's gone far.

George White

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 06, 2023, 08:20:45 PMPatti Harrison!

Also Counterpoints,Jessie Gender and Bugs bunny.
edit - and Philosophy Tube
Def. Philosophytube.
Also she's just starred in a film made by someone I definitely admire, comedian, OF girl and filmmaker and generic sexy 80s woman Mia Moore Marchant.

I once met Roz (having met her at the doomed 2019 Worldcon where I got thrown out because my autistic interactions made people 'uncomfortable') in London, and she wanted to have a coffee. But I would have been late for something.