Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trans people we admire

Started by George White, September 06, 2023, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Angela Morley 1924-2009

ok I know her mostly from the Hancock's Half Hour cues, but did you know she worked for John Williams orchestrating stuff like the Star Wars score? And scored Watership Down by herself?
http://www.angelamorley.com/site/watercues.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Morley

Langdale

Philippa York. An utter hero to me when I first got into cycling in the late eighties. Then a hero all over again when she emerged to announce her transition in 2017.

Harry Badger

Denis LaPage (who I have just discovered passed away last month)

Planningtorock

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 06, 2023, 08:33:43 PMAngela Morley 1924-2009

ok I know her mostly from the Hancock's Half Hour cues, but did you know she worked for John Williams orchestrating stuff like the Star Wars score? And scored Watership Down by herself?
http://www.angelamorley.com/site/watercues.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Morley

Plus all the lush string arrangements on the Scott Walker albums: Scott, Scott 2 and Scott 3. That alone is pretty amazing.

bgmnts

Think our salt of the earth CaB trans community are ones I admire.

chip

Lovely thread idea. Seeing as Haela Ravenna Hunt-Hendrix has been mentioned, I will say Ashanti Mutinta, also known as Backxwash, who absolutely cooked at supersonic festival last weekend (and would recommend if you like hellish noise rap-type stuff).

lazyhour

Let's hear it for the boys!

Elliot Page seems like a total dude.

Beverly Glen-Coupland made the utterly beguiling Keyboard Fantasies album.

Kankurette

Eddie/Suzy Izzard, she was my first stand-up comedian and is still my favourite.

Also, a lad called Nate I know from the Jewish Society at Manchester because he gave me Dougie, my first cat.

hamfist

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2023, 08:21:03 PMAlice Caldwell-Kelly / AliceAvizandum off of WTYPPOD and Trashfuture.

absolutely, she makes me laugh a lot especially when doing her mock German accent

Quote from: oggyraiding on September 06, 2023, 06:01:04 PMI like Laura Les from 100 Gecs. Seems a good laugh.

Yeah definitely, seems really cool. Bloody love her in their Boiler Room set here where she cheerfully begins the set by saying "apologies in advance if we fuck up; we're not very good djs!" It's a hot mess of a set and her evident enjoyment and the fact she's not taking it too seriously and just having a good time is infectious

Kankurette

Yes! They're hilarious. I hope they play Manchester soon.

Zero Gravitas

Third vote for Alice, the only bad thing she's ever done is like watches.

non capisco

Having immersed myself in The Goon Show over the last couple of years, initially as a kind of old timey panacea against the sting of lots of my quotidian certainties all falling apart at once and latterly just because it's fucking mint, I can co-sign that Angela Morley was a total dazzler. Milligan and Sellers were geniuses but it all would have fallen flat on its arse without Morley's marshalling orchestration, creating music that mirrored, enhanced and in some cases tempered the insanity of the Goon humour perfectly. Exhibit A: The episode 'The Sleeping Prince' where Milligan tasked her with creating a national anthem for the fictional Pacific Republic of Yukkabukkoo which was an essential running gag throughout the episode and had to be played in full each time it was mentioned by a character. It's a tall order to make that wilfully and fiendishly  repetitive gag fall on the right side of the funny/insufferable divide. Needless to say she nailed it, I looked forward to that perfectly stupid bit of music every single time as soon as I clocked what was going to be going on.

As Brundle already said, the same woman who pulled musical comedy feats like that off on a ridiculously tight schedule also did the string arrangements for the first three Scott Walker solo albums, for crying out loud.

non capisco

I've also got to rep once again on CaB for Ezra Furman. Said it before on here many a time and oft but at her best she's plucking timeless melodies out of the ether so strong that it's almost impossible to believe that they haven't existed before now. Also once saw her do an impassioned cover version of Thunder Road in the little room above The Lexington pub near Angel that banished all the shit and made everything good in me soar.

Ah Lyra Pramuk too; her Fountain album that came out at the early stage of the first lockdown will always be synonymous with that hot and uncertain summer, watching live streams and doing ketamine and sitting in the beautiful garden I had at the time...the follow up remix album was very interesting and I hope she comes back with something soon (chatted to her briefly on Instagram a few times and she said she's working on something atm so fingers xd) she's gorgeous as well

Mister Six

Because we ended up doing YouTubers, Jay Exci did this really great five-hour analysis of why Chibnall's Doctor Who is fucking shit:

And just about everything Lily Alexandre has done of late has been really great. She's brilliant at seemingly rambling about some cultural ephemera, then sticking the landing with a really great conclusion that explains why you should care:

Pink Gregory

Quote from: non capisco on September 07, 2023, 01:16:41 AMI've also got to rep once again on CaB for Ezra Furman. Said it before on here many a time and oft but at her best she's plucking timeless melodies out of the ether so strong that it's almost impossible to believe that they haven't existed before now. Also once saw her do an impassioned cover version of Thunder Road in the little room above The Lexington pub near Angel that banished all the shit and made everything good in me soar.

When she was still playing with the Boyfriends rather than the Visions they did an amazing cover of In Bloom with a massive honking saxophone carrying the main riff, but it'a since disappeared from Youtube.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2023, 09:37:48 PMThink our salt of the earth CaB trans community are ones I admire.

Seconded. Came here to say that myself.

I have always admired Laura Jane Grace, of Against Me, and part of the punk community. Always able to articulate raw emotion and angst.

Jockice

The former singer of The Jags. As featured a few years ago on 24 Hours In A&E. Mainly so I can recount my well-worn anecdote about my mum getting me their autographs under the impression they were The Jam.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on September 07, 2023, 01:02:39 AMHaving immersed myself in The Goon Show over the last couple of years, initially as a kind of old timey panacea against the sting of lots of my quotidian certainties all falling apart at once and latterly just because it's fucking mint, I can co-sign that Angela Morley was a total dazzler. Milligan and Sellers were geniuses but it all would have fallen flat on its arse without Morley's marshalling orchestration, creating music that mirrored, enhanced and in some cases tempered the insanity of the Goon humour perfectly. Exhibit A: The episode 'The Sleeping Prince' where Milligan tasked her with creating a national anthem for the fictional Pacific Republic of Yukkabukkoo which was an essential running gag throughout the episode and had to be played in full each time it was mentioned by a character. It's a tall order to make that wilfully and fiendishly  repetitive gag fall on the right side of the funny/insufferable divide. Needless to say she nailed it, I looked forward to that perfectly stupid bit of music every single time as soon as I clocked what was going to be going on.

As Brundle already said, the same woman who pulled musical comedy feats like that off on a ridiculously tight schedule also did the string arrangements for the first three Scott Walker solo albums, for crying out loud.

There's loads of her* own older compositions on YouTube. If you enjoy sentimental/ upbeat/ exotic fifties light orchestral music, it is perfection. Makes you feel like you're in a b&w Sunday afternoon film with Alistair Sim.

*obvs under her pre-transition name. It doesn't feel in the spirit of the thread to mention it.

dead-ced-dead

Shon Faye, Katie Montgomery and Elliot Page seem really cool to me.

I love Katie's resolve and being such a strong wall against transphobic muck on Twitter.

Kankurette

Katie is a GBOL, especially when it comes to all the shit she gets on Twitter.

There's a trans Liverpool fan/football writer I follow on there who's pretty good but I can't remember her name.

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2023, 09:37:48 PMThink our salt of the earth CaB trans community are ones I admire.

Yeah. Though I'm loving all the amazing musicians in this thread, there were a couple of trans folk cabbers c. ten years ago whose patience and calm explanations I honestly credit with turning CAB into a pro-trans community (and certainly myself, it previously being a 'culture war' that I was happy to ignore).
A fan site for an edgy 90s/00s comedian (albeit one that is more intelligent and nuanced than most) was an unlikely source of allies. I guess Glinner going bananas didn't hurt either :p

Steve Faeces

Ethel Cain, think she's awesome and talented. Same goes for Mykki Blanco.

Steve Faeces

Quote from: Kankurette on September 07, 2023, 09:35:59 AMKatie is a GBOL, especially when it comes to all the shit she gets on Twitter.

There's a trans Liverpool fan/football writer I follow on there who's pretty good but I can't remember her name.

Is the football writer Grace Robertson? I like her stuff.

Barry Admin

Wow, Patti Harrison is incredible! Just digging up everything I can on YouTube.

Love the Wendy Carlos videos too, surprised I've never come across her before that I can recall. Seems she doesn't do too much press now due to past bad experiences, but she's a superb orator when it comes to early electronic music.

Kankurette

Quote from: Steve Faeces on September 07, 2023, 09:45:06 AMIs the football writer Grace Robertson? I like her stuff.
Thanks for reminding me. That's who I meant.

phantom_power

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 07, 2023, 10:06:31 AMWow, Patti Harrison is incredible! Just digging up everything I can on YouTube.

She is really good in Together Together with Egg Helm as well

Jockice

The disability  and sexuality rights campaigner and performer Dennis Queen.