Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trans people we admire

Started by George White, September 06, 2023, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 07, 2023, 10:06:31 AMWow, Patti Harrison is incredible! Just digging up everything I can on YouTube.

She puts a lot of effort into her Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpTKhtTuCP0/?img_index=1

Kankurette

Quote from: thenoise on September 07, 2023, 09:37:41 AMYeah. Though I'm loving all the amazing musicians in this thread, there were a couple of trans folk cabbers c. ten years ago whose patience and calm explanations I honestly credit with turning CAB into a pro-trans community (and certainly myself, it previously being a 'culture war' that I was happy to ignore).
A fan site for an edgy 90s/00s comedian (albeit one that is more intelligent and nuanced than most) was an unlikely source of allies. I guess Glinner going bananas didn't hurt either :p
I miss Sophie Pilbeam. She was boss.

Sebastian Cobb

Patti Harrison doesn't get a vote from me 'cos I'm sulking about missing her edinburgh show due to dates getting pulled.

jobotic

Quote from: Langdale on September 06, 2023, 09:06:01 PMPhilippa York. An utter hero to me when I first got into cycling in the late eighties. Then a hero all over again when she emerged to announce her transition in 2017.

I agree

pandadeath

Another great trans musician is Jana Hunter, loved him ever since I saw him play at ATP in 2006. Has anybody mentioned Arca yet? She's incredible.

One of my favourite filmmakers, John Cameron Mitchell, is non binary

George White

John Cameron Mitchell I'll always love for playing a perfect Briddish Quincy Punk in a George RR Martin-written new Twilight Zone.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pandadeath on September 07, 2023, 06:02:10 PMOne of my favourite filmmakers, John Cameron Mitchell, is non binary

Oh you've reminded me she hasn't done that much work but Isabel Sandoval is a good trans filmmaker and actor.

flotemysost

Great thread, lots of music recs to follow up on.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 06, 2023, 09:35:32 PMPlus all the lush string arrangements on the Scott Walker albums: Scott, Scott 2 and Scott 3. That alone is pretty amazing.

I only had the most fleeting knowledge of her work anyway but I had no idea about this, wowza

Quote from: thenoise on September 07, 2023, 09:37:41 AMYeah. Though I'm loving all the amazing musicians in this thread, there were a couple of trans folk cabbers c. ten years ago whose patience and calm explanations I honestly credit with turning CAB into a pro-trans community (and certainly myself, it previously being a 'culture war' that I was happy to ignore).
A fan site for an edgy 90s/00s comedian (albeit one that is more intelligent and nuanced than most) was an unlikely source of allies. I guess Glinner going bananas didn't hurt either :p

Yep, when I first stumbled across this place around that time and started lurking on and off a bit, one of the things that convinced me it was probably a sound corner of the internet was the noticeable presence of a few trans and nonbinary posters, and (from what I could see, anyway) seemingly only support/respect from others.

Mr_Simnock

long standing ufologist Jenny Randles

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on September 07, 2023, 01:23:01 PMI miss Sophie Pilbeam. She was boss.

she's still appearing occasionally

George White

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 07, 2023, 08:47:05 PMlong standing ufologist Jenny Randles
WHAT?
Been reading her stuff lately, and didn't realise she was a trans femme.
Wowzers. Apparently transitioned at 20, from what I've read, she was basically stealth.

Surprised that she's big mates with Big Eamonn. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Strange+but+true..+..I+used+to+be+a+man!-a061161014
But it turns out that  she had a row on twitter with Roz Kaveney, because Randles was saying that 'cis' is a load of bollocks (something I agree with but not in the way she or Baldy Boyne mean it) and that women and trans women are like cats and dogs.

Kankurette

I think Christine & the Queens/Chris is trans? Or at least genderqueer.

Twonty Gostelow

Francis Bourgeois, although I know they wind up a few people on here.

George White

Quote from: Kankurette on September 07, 2023, 11:57:12 PMI think Christine & the Queens/Chris is trans? Or at least genderqueer.
He's transmasc - although I don't know if he's on hormones - which probably will just make him look even more like Chris, Morris that is.

Barry Admin

"I have asthma so I'm winded"

"Please confirm, please confirm..."

That Patti Harrison stuff really is superb.

Edit:

Sebastian Cobb

Cara Esten is great but dunno if that's a bit niche she's basically some ex twitter dev and retro computing nerd.

gmoney

I forgot to say Kim Justice, retrogaming and wrestling youtube person.

George White

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2023, 05:50:18 PMCara Esten is great but dunno if that's a bit niche she's basically some ex twitter dev and retro computing nerd.
I know Cara.
In the same ballpark of cool trans chicks on twitter,
Bugs Maytrix/Alexa Feeney
Mia Moore Marchant (I've already mentioned, but one of the funniest people on twitter even if she does rely a little too much on her 'We can always tell' doxxing of transvestigators)
Morgana Ignis (no longer on twitter, but Henson/Lucasfilm puppeteer, voice actress and cosplay chick)
Robyn Adams (trans horror critic)
Aoife Martin (isn't on twitter anymore, got very defensive of her when Iv** K***y, someone on twitter I used to love but went all TERFy when he posted  a picture of Aoife and was like, 'really?' as if saying 'yes, you want us to think that is a woman?' Yes, because I know Aoife, and she's a lovely, avauntular person).

Mister Six

Quote from: Kankurette on September 07, 2023, 09:35:59 AMKatie is a GBOL, especially when it comes to all the shit she gets on Twitter.

She's indefatigable. I don't know how she does it. I'd have fucked if all off into a skip yonks ago.

Patti Harrison I only know from some really funny Instagram posts someone linked to on here years ago. Had no idea she was trans. Foolishly I forgot to look into her stuff, but I'll make an effort to now!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: George White on September 06, 2023, 05:13:59 PMHari Nef. Almost steals Barbie
Yes, if it weren't for Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Kate McKinnon, Michael Cera, Helen Mirren, the songs, the set design and the plastic dog that does poos.

biniput

Do we get to put in here someone like F1nn5ter due to being who he is and a great ally. Has a charity to help trans people out with transitioning costs. Just been on Twitch crying and going on about needing to take a few weks off. PS do not reed too much into me knowing/watching F1nnter.

biniput

OK during actual streem it turns out they might want to transition. (currently watching it)

George White

Watching it now, they do seem like they are building up to something.

Blue Jam

biniput

Now I watch back it is not transition but mental health issues. F1nn doesn't like the way they look and other issues so is taking things slower for the next few weeks to work on themselves.

Beloved of Jo

Me, for getting out of bed some mornings knowing there's a pack of seething, scheming obsessives out there resenting my very existence.

Well okay, someone else then... Carlotta. She's been around forever (80 now) and has always seemed lovely. If nothing else an inspiration to live a long productive life to spite the haters. Stephen Whittle for much the same reasons, unless he has some horrible past controversies I'm unaware of.

In fact, pretty much any trans person that's been transitioned for longer than I have, with a few notable exceptions. You're not my tranpa you bitter old smut peddler.

Neville Chamberlain

I'm sure one of the members of the band The Diagram Brothers was trans. Possibly.

hexa

Quote from: Mister Six on September 09, 2023, 11:15:12 PMShe's indefatigable. I don't know how she does it. I'd have fucked if all off into a skip yonks ago.

she could at any time, when given an opportunity on bluesky she signed up and never really posted. she likes the attention and conflict her "role" on twitter gives her.

Mister Six

I suppose it is basically her career now.