Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Got any good Santa's grotto disasters?

Started by Terry Torpid, December 19, 2023, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Ferris on February 26, 2024, 02:17:55 PMBut what do you do with the giant chocolate bar? Look at it and go "that's a large chocolate bar, that is" then walk off to the next prop?

There's something fundamental I'm missing here.

You have your photo taken with it. That's seemingly the sole point of the whole thing, so you'd probably be better off staying at home and photoshopping yourself into an actual Willy Wonka film (take your pick which one) and it'd look more impressive.

Ferris

Quote from: Icehaven on February 26, 2024, 03:59:31 PMYou have your photo taken with it.

Ahhh. That makes more sense, but I'm still baffled by it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 26, 2024, 03:57:36 PMBefore Xmas we went to one of those things which are cropping up more and more nowadays, but is basically loads of lit-up sculptures in some woods, which I realise is basically an opportunity for Instagrammable Moments, like you say...

Now, I was completely happy with the one we went to. Felt it was fair value for money etc etc. but, it differed from Wonka World here in several important factors - not least because the illuminated sculptures were really quite impressive both in quantity and quality, and they were exhibited in the dark, so that your eyes weren't distracted by muddy verges, or gloomy skies or anything else which would distract you from the experience.

Most of these illumination things take place in sites that are already nice in daylight, like botanic gardens, estates of stately homes, in picturesque forests, etc, rather than in a muddy field round the back of some chancer's farm. Which certainly helps.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ferris on February 26, 2024, 05:13:41 PMAhhh. That makes more sense, but I'm still baffled by it.

Come on, baffled? Knee-jerk response to these things, but we've been down this post-ironic road for far too long. It's shit, a quick money grab attached to a family friendly holiday or nom du jour without much planning or investment.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: steve98 on February 26, 2024, 03:17:29 PMIt's all so grubby and desolate and awful.
I have a picture of Limmy's weans character wandering around the place, spoutin' his catchphrase; his inconsolable weans being told by their mum that it's all his fault.

I love that those crowd barrier things have been raised to the level of exhibit due to the sparsity of anything else to look at.

I adore this bleakness, it's like the ultimate liminal space.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 26, 2024, 05:53:16 PMCome on, baffled? Knee-jerk response to these things, but we've been down this post-ironic road for far too long. It's shit, a quick money grab attached to a family friendly holiday or nom du jour without much planning or investment.

No I understand what's in it for the purveyors, it's the punters who are hoping to take photos that wrinkle my noggin.

Captain Z

QuoteThe weirdest part was that there were no staff present at the venue. And at one point I'm sure I saw two of those TVs on wheels talking to each other.

Midas

Blinder Data

£36 per person! No wonder people got angry.

So many parents spend so much money on total crap. I can't understand it - it's not like they have money to burn. What's wrong with a trip to the swings and packet of sweeties?

Quote from: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/children-in-tears-at-willy-wonka-event-that-was-an-empty-warehouse-gjkl2szhh

House of Illuminati advertised tickets to the "whimsical world" of Wonka, with an "enchanted garden, with giant sweets, vibrant blooms, mysterious looking sculptures, and magical surprises", as well as "captivating entertainment" with live performances singing original songs from the film

Eva Stewart, of East Kilbride, told the BBC she saw children crying with disappointment. She added that she spoke to people who had travelled from Aberdeen, Dundee, Fife and even Newcastle to attend.

Michael Archibald, 18, said he was hired as a live actor for the experience but claimed they were given "AI generated" scripts to learn which made no sense.

"Nothing felt human and the audience's reactions had even been scripted. I have done a degree in higher drama and this isn't how people write up scripts here," he said.

king_tubby

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 27, 2024, 08:23:27 AM"Nothing felt human and the audience's reactions had even been scripted. I have done a degree in higher drama and this isn't how people write up scripts here," he said.

Now either he's very young to have done a degree in 'higher drama' or the Times subeditors are ignorant of the fact that in Scotland the final secondary school exams are Highers which are not the same as A Levels.

I know which one I think is right, eh readers?

gilbertharding

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 26, 2024, 05:40:29 PMMost of these illumination things take place in sites that are already nice in daylight, like botanic gardens, estates of stately homes, in picturesque forests, etc, rather than in a muddy field round the back of some chancer's farm. Which certainly helps.

Well, quite - that's what I'm saying: it's surely only a matter of time before some Grundy's World of Christmas type 'entrepreneur' spots the growing popularity of these things, and wonders how difficult this Son et Lumiere lark can be.

idunnosomename

Billy (Billy Coull!) has already managed to be a part of ruining Christmas

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19781222.gowanbank-hub-glasgow-faces-backlash-cancelling-santas-grotto/

Hes clearly a scammer but also bonkers. Parading around a fake PhD he got on the internet. What sort of person would call their startup "House of Illuminati" anyway.

Also realising this event mainly got its audience because of sponsored Facebook ads using the busy AI images targeted at users around Glasgow. Seeing how people fall hook line and sinker for diffusion model images on Facebook, you'd think some of the press coverage would try and educate people on the dangers of ads and AI scams rather than just banging on about children left in floods of tears. British journalism eh. Just as bad as Billy.

Alberon

idunnosomename

Yeah and it would wreck Reach PLC's business model if they told people to ignore stupid adverts when scrolling on their phones

gilbertharding

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 27, 2024, 10:40:35 AMYeah and it would wreck Reach PLC's business model if they told people to ignore stupid adverts when scrolling on their phones

Anybody who tries to use a Reach PLC site on a phone is asking for it anyway.

gilbertharding

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 25, 2024, 11:18:15 PMLooking into this it does seem it was originally marketed as "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Experience" and the AI shit website only came along later, so you can't quite blame people for falling for the latter. still

https://www.whatsonglasgow.co.uk/event/131453-willy-wonka-experience/

some of the hanging prints are clearly shit AI too

even if some of the props themselves are pretty decent. but sparsely set out

Relocate this to Brighton, tell 'em it's Banksy, and Robert's your mother's brother.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 27, 2024, 08:23:27 AM£36 per person! No wonder people got angry.

So many parents spend so much money on total crap. I can't understand it - it's not like they have money to burn. What's wrong with a trip to the swings and packet of sweeties?

18 year old "i've done a degree" - prodigy or AI reporting ?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: king_tubby on February 27, 2024, 08:30:55 AMNow either he's very young to have done a degree in 'higher drama' or the Times subeditors are ignorant of the fact that in Scotland the final secondary school exams are Highers which are not the same as A Levels.

I know which one I think is right, eh readers?

Ah!

Glebe