Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your New Year's resolutions

Started by tookish, December 26, 2023, 08:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

Load of shite, New Year. But I do like using it as a bit of a kick up the arse and a gentle reset.

This year I'm trying to focus on positive things I can do, rather than ways I should alter myself.

Haven't thought of them all yet, but one is to have more people to visit. I'm not very good at letting people into my house, but I love hosting.

greencalx

I need to lose a bit of weight. Unfortunately there are no low-hanging fruit as ours is already a mostly vegetarian diet. I suppose the booze is the low-hanging fruit.

tookish

Quote from: greencalx on December 26, 2023, 08:24:24 AMI need to lose a bit of weight. Unfortunately there are no low-hanging fruit as ours is already a mostly vegetarian diet. I suppose the booze is the low-hanging fruit.

Very annoying to be fat on a veggie diet. Unfortunately bread is vegan and fucking delicious, haha.

I need to lose weight too; maybe if I could be bothered.

shoulders

Tried this last year but it fell apart within weeks so this year I'll settle for breathing and anything else is a bonus.

greencalx

Quote from: tookish on December 26, 2023, 08:26:09 AMVery annoying to be fat on a veggie diet. Unfortunately bread is vegan and fucking delicious, haha.

I need to lose weight too; maybe if I could be bothered.

My BMI is just out of the normal zone, but due to other factors it would be nice to get it closer to the middle. Mostly because I don't like how the roll of fat around my tummy bounces about when I run for a bus.

EDIT: bread is a good shout, actually...

Buelligan

Be less afraid of consequences and more active in opposition to war, destruction of the planet and cruelty to living creatures.  We only have one life, best make it count for something.

Red82

I think I need a hard reset rather than a gentle one.  Will probably avoid written resolutions as hard resets are hard. This way I can continue doing nothing to solve my core problems. Merry Christmas!

iamcoop

Probably try and quit smoking again for the billionth time. I got gifted the Allen Carr book (not that one) which I've perceived as some sort of gentle intervention so I suppose I'd better have another crack at binning the wretched tabs that I adore so dearly.

Zetetic

- Get one (1) helix piercing
- Get back on the zero (0) opinions wagon

Relating to being trapped in the middle of fucking nowhere with my dying/resurrected (TBC) mother while having my hormones go to shit:
- Don't let relationship with food get completely broken
- Exercise, somehow
- Pass driving test (booked for March)
- Don't tell ex-boyfriend to come and bite and fuck me, it will not be good for his emotional development

- Relentless kindness to mother and to partner, unironically but to the point where one of them snaps and tells me to pack it in

Jack Shaftoe

Stopping eating bread (or at least drastically cutting back) is the only thing that's worked with me trying to lose weight. Really really difficult, because god I love toast and marmite and I had to make sure I had a big tub of tropical mix and loads of fruit around to snack on, because the desire to snack lasted a good fortnight after that, but then it suddenly goes, and I was consistently losing one or two pounds a week without really doing anything. Obviously it's all going to shit a bit over Christmas, I'm eating a big slice of stollen as I type this, but from tomorrow, making a concerted effort to get back to it, because I'm a fuck of a lot happier at 13st something than I was at 15st something.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 26, 2023, 09:57:53 AMStopping eating bread (or at least drastically cutting back)

Can recommend replacing it with rye bread?  You'll need to toast it but as a delivery device for the stuff on top it works.

I'm 17st and a bit, but was more, lost a bunch recently - can definitely put some of it down to my metabolism reappearing after being on citalopram for years but we stuck to a wholefoods diet for a bit and it seemed to work really well.  Not following it strictly now but kept good habits.

Neomod

Quote from: iamcoop on December 26, 2023, 09:32:31 AMProbably try and quit smoking again for the billionth time. I got gifted the Allen Carr book (not that one) which I've perceived as some sort of gentle intervention so I suppose I'd better have another crack at binning the wretched tabs that I adore so dearly.

Give it a go. This book worked for me back in 2007.

Haven't touched the tabs since and have never missed em.

spaghetamine

don't read the news
get some pussy
learn to play the banjo

Steve Faeces

Mine is no weed Sunday evening to Tuesday evening (so not before I have to be in work or any regular outdoors commitment.)

Memorex MP3

- Drive manual a bunch (narrowly failed the test last summer, heavily due to work deadlines resulting in nonsense like me having to do a zoom in the test centre)
- Cycle around town to the point of some level of confidence
- Swim for the first time in about 20 years
- Some kind of consistent fitness regimen
- Get a job, ideally in something reasonably different
- Deal head on with a couple of things if they somehow don't change this year cos it's getting a bit silly with a few people at this stage
- Finish a few projects I've left half baked for years
- Move house after getting job

That's probably loads right there. My current living situation means there's basically no chance of any kind of social life for the first 6 months which is a bit of a relief tbh because I've been failing miserably at that for years

thenoise

Post on CAB more, talk to family less.

Ferris

Dry January, maybe do another masters (part time) for shits and giggles.

Ok cheers.

Toki

Going to use Who Gives a Crap instead of non-recyclable toilet paper. This may just be me falling for a marketing ploy, prepared to eat my own shit words. Shit words.

Terry Torpid

Quote from: tookish on December 26, 2023, 08:26:09 AMVery annoying to be fat on a veggie diet. Unfortunately bread is vegan and fucking delicious, haha.

Solidarity. I've lost zero weight since going from animal eating to vegetarianism to veganism. Bread is one culprit, but in my case pasta is also a prime suspect. Other vegan foods under investigation include Oreos and Jammy Dodgers, which just doesn't help. And vegan ice cream. And burgers. And a million other junk foods.

Weight loss would have been easier in the bad old days when it really was a niche diet consisting entirely of actual fruit and veg.

lauraxsynthesis

Hoping to give up that cesspit Twitter. Unlikely I'll manage it, but might at least be able to cut down for a few weeks.

Kankurette

1. Practice tuba
2. Get more into weights - I fucking hate running and I know I'll never do Couch to 5K, so weights are my next best shot
3. Go to a country I've never been to before
4. Reconcile friendship with ex-boyfriend
5. Take stepsister to football match in Sheffield (she lives there now and she wants to go to one, but I'm not sure which team to take her to)
6. Get a tattoo
7. Get better sleeping habits

Terry Torpid

1) Do the dishes every day, or better yet after every meal, instead of leaving them and desperately doing the whole week's worth of dishes on Sunday night like I always fucking do.

2) Don't wear the same t-shirt, socks or pants two days in a row. Leave out fresh underclothes the night before, so you don't have to scramble through the tumble dryer every morning, five minutes before going to work.

3) Cut out Oreos. They're unhealthy and made using palm oil. Cut down on palm oil in general.

4) Drink more water and less oat milk, 7-up, and red bull. All other drinks are a distraction from the only one you need.

5) Make more of an effort to stay in contact with old friends. Don't wait for them to message you.

6) Sort out your gender confusion once and for all. Mention it to someone in real life instead of strangers on the internet. Consider going they/them or something, don't just keep it hidden all the time.

7) Sort out your sexuality confusion once and for all. Stop wanking off with discord pals and think about having real sex with an actual person.

madhair60

H-O-W-L

ah I don't fucking know, just try more TTRPG systems I guess. get on that DBT and get my (quoth my 3rd of 4 therapists) 'combat-pattern' PTSD sorted.

Pink Gregory

stop spending all my time sat on my goddamn phone and engage with something for once in my goddamn life

Mister Six

Get back to the gym, for cardio and weightlifting. Even though I bloody hate cardio.

Get writing again. This year's been a disaster on just about every level, including creatively, but a mate and me have a plan to at the very least knock together a screenplay together.

Pull myself together and build a healthy and sustainable routine. I've run myself ragged this year and I'm too old to do that and just bounce back, especially with fucking Covid waiting to pounce when I let my guard down.

And this:

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 28, 2023, 05:20:44 AMstop spending all my time sat on my goddamn phone and engage with something for once in my goddamn life

Beloved of Jo

Lose a little weight, not enough to be gaunt in the face but to prevent onset of duck-arse.

Spend less study time procrastinating on doom and gloom being spread by fundie fascists and strabismic cockwombles.

Get into postgrad med.