Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Redundancy/being interviewed for own job

Started by Pranet, January 31, 2024, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

So where I work there are three people. One of them will be made redundant due to reduced funding. We will each be interviewed, two people will keep their jobs, the other person won't.

Anyone been through this? Any idea what they will ask?

It is a supported housing service for homeless people, if that is any help.

Or just talk about times you've been made redundant.

Asclepius

When? What sort of level are you working at? Can you ask if the interview questions are going to be competency based? If so, I can send you a wealth of stuff based on what I do (similar world).

Butchers Blind

All you need to do is murder one of the others and you're safe.

Pranet

Quote from: Asclepius on January 31, 2024, 05:52:17 PMWhen? What sort of level are you working at? Can you ask if the interview questions are going to be competency based? If so, I can send you a wealth of stuff based on what I do (similar world).

The level I'm working at is at the bottom, just a support worker. There is a form of words on the redundancy policy about the interview, something like "skills and values based" (I don't have the information with me right now but can get it if needed). Asked about what they could tell us about the interview and was told there will be 6-8 questions which will be scored. If you think you can tell me anything, great thank you.

shoulders

Objectively they should be looking to filter from productivity, end results and your overall reliability in that situation, but that would credit organisations with a level of rigour, objectivity and impartiality many just don't have.

I'm sure you have reasons to stay but if anyone pulled that on me, I'd just quit.

Jasha

Aren't you supposed to imagine them sitting there naked or something?

Asclepius

Quote from: Pranet on January 31, 2024, 06:24:29 PMThe level I'm working at is at the bottom, just a support worker. There is a form of words on the redundancy policy about the interview, something like "skills and values based" (I don't have the information with me right now but can get it if needed). Asked about what they could tell us about the interview and was told there will be 6-8 questions which will be scored. If you think you can tell me anything, great thank you.

I think I can. When do you need it for? Don't expect anything that's gonna blow your mind - but I have questions for similar sectors that might help you to focus.

Brian Freeze

Sorry to hear this Pranet, hope it's not too stressful for you?

I've been through this a few times now and it's shite. My understanding is there is a process that has to be adhered to to make it legal so their arses are covered if they do it properly.

This means it drags on for ages and ages and there is very little you can do to influence the outcome beyond not burning your bridges. That's not meant to be negative, it just means don't worry, keep turning up and doing your job in the meantime as best you can.

I always made a point of stating that I was keen to stay when interviewed. You aren't required to sell yourself at the interview or do the dirty on your fellow workers.

Best of luck mate, don't take it personally.

Pranet

Quote from: Asclepius on January 31, 2024, 06:55:50 PMI think I can. When do you need it for? Don't expect anything that's gonna blow your mind - but I have questions for similar sectors that might help you to focus.

It will be w/c 12th. And thank you. That sounds helpful. Something to think about at least.

Pranet

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 31, 2024, 06:57:54 PMSorry to hear this Pranet, hope it's not too stressful for you?

I've been through this a few times now and it's shite. My understanding is there is a process that has to be adhered to to make it legal so their arses are covered if they do it properly.

This means it drags on for ages and ages and there is very little you can do to influence the outcome beyond not burning your bridges. That's not meant to be negative, it just means don't worry, keep turning up and doing your job in the meantime as best you can.

I always made a point of stating that I was keen to stay when interviewed. You aren't required to sell yourself at the interview or do the dirty on your fellow workers.

Best of luck mate, don't take it personally.

Cheers. Trying not to take it personally. But yes very stressful. I'm not particularly confident in my ability to find another job, which is why I'm not going off in a huff as shoulders suggested. Love to, but not in my character unfortunately.

Sebastian Cobb

Going off in a huff is poor advice not least because it'll mean you lose any chance of claiming bennies for 6 months 'Start looking for a new job now regardless of the outcome' would be more constructive imo but it's understandable that may add to the stress.

Pranet

I've started doing things like contact people who might be willing to give me a 2nd reference and things of that sort.

This thread might well have a sequel- How The Fuck Do You Look For A Job Nowadays.

JaDanketies

My strategy would be to talk about how great the business is and how enthusiastic you are about it reaching its goals. And how you all feel like a family and you look forwards to working there. And how you really like all the service users and your colleagues.

Brian Freeze

I feel for you Pranet, keep writing about it on here if it helps. It's good to get it off your chest.

Pranet

I won't go on at the moment, except to say I had a bad weekend and thought I might actually lose it in some way. Not so bad this week but I'm sure as the interview date approaches the stress will increase.

badaids

Sorry to hear this Pranet.

I had to do go through this once.  tried to be honest and play to my strengths but the others, I later found out, were all doing the dirty and saying shit about the others to better place themselves. I was the one that lost their job. It was hard.

The only advice I can give is to think about and practice your answers if you have the questions up front.  Structure them, either with the bottom line up front and then 2 or 3 points of detail, or you examples.  Or using the Siutation, Task, Action, Result format.  Use examples of good shit you've done anyway.  Try and enjoy the interview, make it known you'd like to stay, and be positive.

Do you have a union where you work and are you a member?

Good luck old bean, let us know how it goes if you can.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pranet on January 31, 2024, 06:24:29 PMsomething like "skills and values based"

Tell them you have the values of the Carphone Warehouse.

(sorry about this unpleasant and stressful process)

Pranet

Quote from: badaids on January 31, 2024, 07:47:59 PMSorry to hear this Pranet.

I had to do go through this once.  tried to be honest and play to my strengths but the others, I later found out, were all doing the dirty and saying shit about the others to better place themselves. I was the one that lost their job. It was hard.

The only advice I can give is to think about and practice your answers if you have the questions up front.  Structure them, either with the bottom line up front and then 2 or 3 points of detail, or you examples.  Or using the Siutation, Task, Action, Result format.  Use examples of good shit you've done anyway.  Try and enjoy the interview, make it known you'd like to stay, and be positive.

Do you have a union where you work and are you a member?

Good luck old bean, let us know how it goes if you can.

Ta.

We did ask if we could have information on what the interview would be, but didn't get much of a response. But yes I'm going to try to work out what they might ask and think of what I'll say.

I am a member of a union, the place I work doesn't recognise them but a representative of the union did attend one of my meetings about it. Was useful insofar as she made sure any questions that needed to be asked were asked.

Paul Calf

Whatever happens, start looking for another job and leave as soon as possible. This is psychological warfare and they are wasting charity money forcing you through this cruel and dehumanising process. If you retain the job, look for another one and leave at a time that causes maximum inconvenience to them.

Asclepius

Quote from: Pranet on January 31, 2024, 06:59:38 PMIt will be w/c 12th. And thank you. That sounds helpful. Something to think about at least.

I'll get something to you by PM tomorrow morning.

earl_sleek

I'm potentially facing a similar situation - I'm one of four front line managers in the supported housing department of housing association that's been struggling financially for the last few years. We've all received a letter from HR inviting us to a meeting on Friday afternoon that doesn't mention the R word at all but is about "discussing the restructuring of the department"  or similar wording. Sounds ominous. Our boss has tried to give us as much of a heads up as possible but can't confirm or deny if it's the beginning of the refundancy process, and I think if he could rule it out he would.

I'm perhaps not so badly off - obey the last decade I've tended to change jobs every couple of years anyway so I'm overdue, and am used to job hunting. I've got a great CV and quite enjoy interviews. I know at least one if the others is in financial difficulty himself, though. We also know there are no front line positions being cut in the budget for the next financial year, so our teams should be safe for a while. I'm also a union member so can rely on them for advice.

So good luck OP - it sounds like you're doing everything sensible you could. Hope it goes well for you.

Mr_Rich

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 31, 2024, 08:41:50 PMWhatever happens, start looking for another job and leave as soon as possible. This is psychological warfare and they are wasting charity money forcing you through this cruel and dehumanising process. If you retain the job, look for another one and leave at a time that causes maximum inconvenience to them.

Completely agree with this. Making you reapply for your own job is a cunts trick and unnecessary given you've already been doing the job. They should have a skills matrix assigned to the role and use your past performance to guide the outcome in the context of that. Making you all perform like monkeys indicates they either have no idea what they're doing or what you do on a daily basis, or they're cunts.

Wish you all the best for it but definitely look for another job regardless of the outcome. 

Memorex MP3

Quote from: shoulders on January 31, 2024, 06:29:40 PMI'm sure you have reasons to stay but if anyone pulled that on me, I'd just quit.
And save them the redundancy payout?

checkoutgirl

Work do stuff like this when they want someone specific they have in mind gone. They could terminate and then hire another more suitable person with a slightly different title. Yeah we fired the organisation technician but we hired a technician organiser so that's ok then.

Then again they might just be firing one and giving the work of three to two or have reduced business or whatever.

I've quit so many jobs that my only advice could be to tell them to stick their job up their hoop because you're sick of the sight of them. Although this advice isn't for everyone obviously. In an ideal world it would be.

badaids

You could always pretend that you misunderstood the point of the interview and that it is you who are interviewing the panel members to decide which one will lose their job.

pancreas

Quote from: shoulders on January 31, 2024, 06:29:40 PMI'm sure you have reasons to stay but if anyone pulled that on me, I'd just quit.

Then you wouldn't get the redundancy pay, you fool.

It is a shit thing to do to people. But it's entirely legally codified. That said, they do have to stick to quite a clear script and there shouldn't be a whiff of discrimination.

Do you have a union rep?

In any case, read the ACAS website. If they fuck up anything you might be able to get extra dosh out of them at an employment tribunal.

https://www.acas.org.uk/your-rights-during-redundancy/how-your-employer-must-consult-you

shoulders

I meant offer myself up to be the redundand rather than put myself through that, I'm not that stupid.

shiftwork2

I would like my entire team to have to reapply for their jobs.

Mr_Simnock

do to reduced funding of the NHS over the years I have had to save myself from redundancy twice before

pancreas

Quote from: shoulders on February 01, 2024, 11:08:11 AMI meant offer myself up to be the redundand rather than put myself through that, I'm not that stupid.

sorry, i thought all the wanking might have driven you mad