Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Befriending an Iranian chap

Started by Brian Freeze, February 02, 2024, 12:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Ask him how he is finding things so far. It will take a while to get to know him, especially as it sounds like you don't work together that closely.

It also sounds like you would be happier in another job given your description of the place, but I know that's easy for me to say.

Really the fact he's from Iran is irrelevant, just treat him as an individual and slowly get to know him. It sounds like you work with a lot of arseholes, and I get the feeling some of them are bigots from your second post. So being an ally to him against racism in the workplace would probably help. I feel sorry for him and you working in that place.

Norton Canes

All great tips so far, can't really add much, but here's a joke if you want something to break the ice:

A man walks into a sandwich shop. He buys a sandwich. The sandwich shop owner says "Do you want it wrapped?" The man says "No it's okay, I'm turning left".

Obviously your friend will have to translate it into Farsi, but Mrs Canes tells me it's very funny.

Oz Oz Alice

What kind of shirt was he wearing?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 02, 2024, 08:21:00 AMAsk him how he is finding things so far. It will take a while to get to know him, especially as it sounds like you don't work together that closely.

It also sounds like you would be happier in another job given your description of the place, but I know that's easy for me to say.

Really the fact he's from Iran is irrelevant, just treat him as an individual and slowly get to know him. It sounds like you work with a lot of arseholes, and I get the feeling some of them are bigots from your second post. So being an ally to him against racism in the workplace would probably help. I feel sorry for him and you working in that place.

Very well put Fambo, you've hit several nails on several heads all in one go there!

Had three rejected job applications this week but will keep trying. Bit worried about getting stuck there for the next twenty years though. At least I'll have me new best buddy to keep me company.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Take him out go-karting or orienteering. Maybe treat yourselves to a McDonalds afterwards.

Small Man Big Horse

Here's a post of mine from 2007 about the only Iranian chap I've ever shared a house with.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 07, 2007, 11:15:44 PMMy Iranian next door neighbour was quite bizarre, he was a policeman and very friendly, though sometimes would have blazing arguments with his wife which sounded quite nasty. Every so often he'd invite me in to share a bottle of whiskey, and despite my protestations he normally persuaded me (in a friendly but firm way) to join him. It was all quite odd, he'd open up a lot to me about his gambling problems, ex-wife and currently shite marriage, but in a normally wistful and wry way. Before spoiling it all by saying something like "She's an idiot, I should never have married her, but she good pussy, very tight, yeah."

He also one time mentioned that he'd been part of the Iranian secret police, and that before moving to the UK he'd done "Terrible, terrible things", yet would never expand upon that if I asked him for further details.

FeederFan500

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 02, 2024, 08:09:28 AMAsk him why he moved to the UK from Iran given the distance, but before he answers sing the biggest hit by the popular band A Flock Of Seagulls at him.

"But you see me every day, why would you need a photo of me?"

Zero Gravitas

Holy Spider (2022) is currently on Mubi, perhaps invite him round to watch that?

Poobum

Ohhh, I'm an Iranian,
I'm a lonely Iranian,
He's an Englishman at my work.

That is my advice.

dontpaintyourteeth

Zero Gravitas

Actually - a this might also allow you to make multiple friends at once - invite both him and some of your other colleagues to start a Lolita reading group, I'm pretty sure that works even if only one of you is Iranian.

Technically I think you also have to read Pride and Prejudice and some other stuff that blokes may not enjoy, but perhaps suggest just reading Lolita six times?

Poobum

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 02, 2024, 08:54:24 PMah yes, Omid's one joke

On the one hand I'm glad I was totally ignorant of that, on the other hand I'm horrified at the convergence.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Kankurette on February 02, 2024, 01:45:49 AMAsk him what he's doing for Nowruz.

I did mention this to him, and he was chuffed someone had asked, so thank you for the suggestion. Will ask Monday how it was.

shoulders

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 02, 2024, 12:49:58 AMAre there any faux pax I should avoid?

Sexual harassment is increasingly considered a faux pas.