Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:07:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ALL NEW 2024 EXPLAIN US YOUR AVATAR THREAD

Started by Dex Sawash, February 02, 2024, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

Forget Crobbins, forget Basil Fawlty, forget The Nazz, even forget everyone's favourite 'Gavin & Stacey' performer. Here's the one true J.C.

(Complete with quote from 'Reynard the Fox')

Spoon of Ploff

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Bartholomew J Krishna

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

it's the big garlicky corpse of Hercule Poirot

(image all fucked together in Paint 3D)

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

I wasn't convinced operant conditioning alone would provide sufficient visual excitement, so I decided to add some spectacle
Spoiler alert
s
[close]

Memorex MP3

It's from one of the last Chris Cunningham music videos

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 05, 2024, 01:20:56 AMit's the big garlicky corpse of Hercule Poirot

(image all fucked together in Paint 3D)
I basically copied you when thinking of a username so it makes sense that our explanations would be similarly straightforward.

thenoise

Christ on a bike, it's stopped working. How long have I been posting with no avatar like some kind of bloody idiot? Fucking hell.

Ray Travez

It's the third studio album by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci; username is a song by flash-in-the-pan 90s indie square-pegs Tiger, glad that's all cleared up

flotemysost

A GIF of the Windows '98 screensaver option "Mystery". Think I updated it from the previous incarnation around Halloween last year as it seemed apposite, but I like the reassuring nostalgic vibes and can't be arsed to change it for now.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on February 05, 2024, 10:28:04 AMA GIF of the Windows '98 screensaver option "Mystery". Think I updated it from the previous incarnation around Halloween last year as it seemed apposite, but I like the reassuring nostalgic vibes and can't be arsed to change it for now.

I'd not noticed (can't believe) you've done this flotes.  I wonder (well I think it is true) whether things like this evoke the same feelings for most people, that there are qualities in the aesthetics that promote certain shared sensations.

I think the closest anyone has got to this phenomena is "emotional resonance", it's different from nostalgia as it doesn't need to be related to positive memories rather formative sensations i.e. you look at the house and feel the sensations you felt when you were much younger but now as adult generally feel different but can still recall the previous sensations (or they are triggered by things).  Sorry I'm probably not making much sense here but in par that's not my fault because it is really complicated stuff tied to early emotional development that no one really understands yet.

chip

Internet Historian's Shadow Man sponsor character.

BONUS: Caption text from The Jesus Lizard's Blue Shot.

PowerButchi

I'll just say, its Jack's  creation, Jack likes it, Jack's lived with it all this time, and it suits him. End of story

LurkMcGee

Dr Trouser

Mog's owner after finding Mog's shat in his flower bed.

checkoutgirl

The Big 3 flanked by Jimmy Kimmel and Bobcat Goldthwait who wrote and directed the masterpiece Windy City Heat (2003).

The Culture Bunker

Cover of 'The Revolutionary Spirit' by the Wild Swans - great single, great band.

Ferris

Quote from: Dr Trouser on February 05, 2024, 02:35:56 PMMog's owner after finding Mog's shat in his flower bed.

I remember recognizing your avatar in Mog! My son likes those.

It's a really funny image, the dad in that book just gets knocked down over and over again throughout the book but always off camera or to one side of the actual story. He's always getting his stuff ruined and nobody except him seems to care.

Senior Baiano

Paul Calf

It's an ironic reference to Grange Hill's Zammo McGuire, his 1980s teenage heroin addiction and the consequent futile and ineffectual campaign by the cast of Grange Hill to stop people doing drugs by exhorting them to 'Just Say No'. About 1/3 of you will be wondering what the fuck this is about and the other two thirds will be wondering why I bothered explaining it, for various reasons.

It's a hubristic jab at the world of straight-peg anti-drug bullshit that messily backfired on me in September 2023, with 'hilarious' results.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: flotemysost on February 05, 2024, 10:28:04 AMA GIF of the Windows '98 screensaver option "Mystery". Think I updated it from the previous incarnation around Halloween last year as it seemed apposite, but I like the reassuring nostalgic vibes and can't be arsed to change it for now.

Hah that's a powerful nostalgic thing for me too, feels like I'm back on my dad's computer in 1999, gleefully fucking around with the desktop theme settings to his mild annoyance

salr

A large angry dog barks at puppy.

me=puppy,
every other user=big dog

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Ferris on February 05, 2024, 03:01:20 PMI remember recognizing your avatar in Mog! My son likes those.

It's a really funny image, the dad in that book just gets knocked down over and over again throughout the book but always off camera or to one side of the actual story. He's always getting his stuff ruined and nobody except him seems to care.

After years of reading them to my kids, I often wonder if Mr Thomas snaps and does a suburban murder/suicide with the whole ungrateful lot.

dissolute ocelot

It might be a Geoffroy's cat but it's probably an ocelot. Edited to stand out more.

flotemysost

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 05, 2024, 10:55:07 AMI'd not noticed (can't believe) you've done this flotes.  I wonder (well I think it is true) whether things like this evoke the same feelings for most people, that there are qualities in the aesthetics that promote certain shared sensations.

I think the closest anyone has got to this phenomena is "emotional resonance", it's different from nostalgia as it doesn't need to be related to positive memories rather formative sensations i.e. you look at the house and feel the sensations you felt when you were much younger but now as adult generally feel different but can still recall the previous sensations (or they are triggered by things).  Sorry I'm probably not making much sense here but in par that's not my fault because it is really complicated stuff tied to early emotional development that no one really understands yet.

Yeah, I use "nostalgia" as a catch-all term for anything that stirs up emotions and feelings associated with the past I guess; CaB as a community on the whole seems to have a sentimental penchant for obscure tokens of yesteryear and I'm no exception.

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 05, 2024, 03:24:56 PMHah that's a powerful nostalgic thing for me too, feels like I'm back on my dad's computer in 1999, gleefully fucking around with the desktop theme settings to his mild annoyance

yep, basically this

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 05, 2024, 06:38:39 PMIt might be a Geoffroy's cat but it's probably an ocelot. Edited to stand out more.

Are they the ones that shit out Nespresso pods?

Blue Jam

German snooker ref/beautifully engineered android Marcel Eckardt dealing with an intruder at the 2023 Scottish Open Snooker final. I was in the arena watching this crazy scene.

Maurice Yeatman

Can't remember who it is but I liked his grumpy face.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: flotemysost on February 06, 2024, 11:29:16 AMAre they the ones that shit out Nespresso pods?
Those are civets which are an ill-defined mess of old-world carnivores only loosely related to cats; ocelots are from the Americas and are biologically in the subfamily of small cats (which means they can't roar). The Asian palm civet is usually used for coffee production; it's also known for its nauseating anal scent gland, and for Philippine myths about talking civets sexing up the ladies. Ocelots have other lifestyles.