Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you have any tattoos?

Started by The Mollusk, February 20, 2024, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I've got your da's peen tattooed on my peen.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 20, 2024, 04:51:04 PMAdmit you couldn't take your eyes off my svelte and toned thigh for long enough to take in a word I'd said and we'll move on

Thigh!? that sort of ruins it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Nope. I'm not against them in principle, but I just can't see the point*. There are no pictures or words that I like so much that I'd get them permanently, painfully and expensively drawn on my body somewhere.

Once the novelty wears off, how much attention do you actually pay to it?

*It's on the tattoo gun. Hur hur hur!

I had my first midlife* crisis tattoo - a sort of flaming ring(piece) on my right shoulder - over a decade ago. I had a vaguely Japanese-style koi on my left shoulder the following year. They make me look dead hard.

*assuming I make it to 98

Butchers Blind

Never got into the tattoo thing. If you want a nice picture then draw it on paper or canvas, then if you get bored of it, you can bin it.

Tattoos look ok on young, taut, nubile skin; not so much on old, dry, wrinkled skin.

Ferris

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 20, 2024, 06:47:26 PMTattoos look ok on young, taut, nubile skin; not so much on old, dry, wrinkled skin.

Nobody's old dry wrinkled skin is looking great, the tattoo is an irrelevance.

Also if you're 70+, who cares what other people might think about your skin? More likely than not they'd think "well you're old as shit now but you used to be cool".

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 20, 2024, 06:29:19 PMOnce the novelty wears off, how much attention do you actually pay to it?

None, really. My arms, back & chest TV are entirely covered (plus a few scribbles on my legs) but I rarely think about them or notice. It's just never seemed a big deal; if they (somehow) fell off tomorrow I wouldn't give a shit. I didn't agonise over deciding what to get or confer on them any symbolic meaning.

It's not that I don't like them - of course I do - but it's not my personality. It's no more or less important to me than wearing a pair of argyle socks.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

For some reason seeing police going around on those tv shows with tattooed forearms doesn't sit right with me. It seems wrong somehow, and I bet Bobby Peel is turning in his grave.

I'd never get one anyway because when I'm old I want my skin to resemble extra mature cheddar, not Stilton.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Ferris on February 20, 2024, 06:50:49 PMAlso if you're 70+, who cares what other people might think about your skin? More likely than not they'd think "well you're old as shit now but you used to be cool".

Because tattoos are definitely a sign of being 'cool'.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 20, 2024, 06:47:26 PMNever got into the tattoo thing. If you want a nice picture then draw it on paper or canvas, then if you get bored of it, you can bin it.

Tattoos look ok on young, taut, nubile skin; not so much on old, dry, wrinkled skin.

Old, faded blurry tattoos are great

Ferris

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 20, 2024, 06:54:45 PMBecause tattoos are definitely a sign of being 'cool'.

Depends I suppose, but when you're old no one will care anyway is my point.

All Surrogate

As Kim Kardashian said, would you put a bumper sticker on a Bentley?

Buelligan

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 20, 2024, 02:28:39 PMgot a twin peaks one (the owl cave symbol), a medieval fornasetti serpent (pictured), and a custom machine girl looking thing my pal did

Just made a lovely keyring, using a vintage fob with other appropriate metal symbols on it, for my friend who has a billion tatts and piercings, of the Fornasetti woman/serpent (because it looks like her and she has a few serpents).

I have no tattoos.  Love that fucking crow.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 20, 2024, 06:47:26 PMTattoos look ok on young, taut, nubile skin; not so much on old, dry, wrinkled skin.

Disagree.  Tatts, new, on a kiddie look like a kiddie trying to look like something else.  On an old person, it's a whole nother world.  IMO, far far far more interesting.

SetToStun

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 20, 2024, 06:43:06 PMI had a vaguely Japanese-style koi on my left shoulder[...]

There was a fella on here years ago who was having a Japanese-style koi (I believe it had a Japanese bloke riding it) tattoo done that would cover his entire torso. I remember seeing one or two work-in-progress pictures he posted but I never saw the completed work and I sometimes wonder how it worked out.

Myself, I don't have any and have no plans to get any. Nothing against them at all (I've seen some really admirable examples) but I just can't see myself with one.

Kankurette

Just a star on my hip but I want to get the chai symbol on my back.

Buelligan

Quote from: SetToStun on February 20, 2024, 07:37:41 PMThere was a fella on here years ago who was having a Japanese-style koi (I believe it had a Japanese bloke riding it) tattoo done that would cover his entire torso. I remember seeing one or two work-in-progress pictures he posted but I never saw the completed work and I sometimes wonder how it worked out.

Saw a work in progress pic of a huge violent-looking mountain of a man having a Buell logo on his back - this should look like a pegasus but it looked like a small child's drawing of a pig.  Always wonder how that ended.  (Hello lovely!).

Kankurette

I forgot to add: it's because I can't read Chinese or Japanese and I don't want to end up with 'I fuck donkeys' or something accidentally written on me. At least Hebrew is a non-Latin alphabet I can read. That's not the main reason though.

And please don't anyone start on me with 'Jews can't get tats ahhhh'. Plenty do.

The F Bomb

They're a great ice breaker if you have nothing else notable to say.

Buelligan

Yeah.  The guy who helped me with the electrics in my cave had a swastika on his hand.  Turned out, after we'd broken the ice, he was a great bunch.  Went off to start a business selling gemstones in Afghanistan, not even lying.  We don't keep in touch.

Shaxberd

Never bought the whole "ahh but what about when you're old and wrinkly" bit.

I love seeing older folks with tattoos. Sometimes because they got it done when it was less socially acceptable and they have good tales to tell about their years as a biker/squaddie/hippy, sometimes because they got them done later in life and have good tales to tell about how they stopped giving a fuck. I sometimes see a woman about town who's likely in her sixties, with a shaved head and a tattoo of vine leaves winding up the side of her skull, and it looks amazing.

I suppose those things won't apply so much when the large number of youngish people with tattoos are older people with tattoos, but also it's gonna be normal so who'll judge?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

FeederFan500

Don't trust myself to pick something I am happy to have on me permanently rather than regret after a few years. The current trend seems to be more disparate tattoos dotted around people's arms rather than a full sleeve, or the footballer vertical script up the neck. Or I'd get a design I like and find later that the original artist is a paedo.

Do find it funny when people on First Dates or something complain that other people have a false impression of them based on their tattoos. Don't choose to present yourself to the world like that then.

The Mollusk

Knew there'd be cunts whinging in here eventually. KNEW IT.

You're all entitled to your opinions and most of you are lovely but GET INKED OR DIE TRYING BRO.

In answer to the "how often do you think about them" question, I look at my Ween tattoo every day and think "fuck yeah this is great, I love Ween."

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Nothing against them but I dunno what I'd get and have never felt any pull towards the realm of ink. Have considered getting my ears pierced but that's for another thread

Stonefish

I'd be up for getting one but I've never liked anything long enough to warrant it

Kankurette

One of my mates has amazing tats. Including an Old Man Gloom one that took hours. He is a more patient person than I. I fidget a lot and the thought of staying still for hours? Fuck no.

A lot of footballers have shit tats but I like Tim Cahill's Samoan ones and Sergio Agüero's LOTR one, the big nerd.

Re piercings, I have my ears, nose and navel pierced. I did have a clitoral hood piercing that hurt like hell, and made bus rides interesting, but I had to take it out for an MRI and the hole closed up.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Stonefish on February 20, 2024, 08:36:28 PMI'd be up for getting one but I've never liked anything long enough to warrant it

What about Ben Hur, or the great wall of China? Just a couple of ideas to get you going.

Antidisestablishmentarianism?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Kankurette on February 20, 2024, 08:50:00 PMOne of my mates has amazing tats. Including an Old Man Gloom one that took hours. He is a more patient person than I. I fidget a lot and the thought of staying still for hours? Fuck no.

I'm fidgety as all fuck with my ADHD but I dunno there's something about the sensation I get from the tattoo gun which is ... I'm not gonna say soothing but it has a sort of painful meditative thing going on. It's weirdly relaxing.

Just looked it up and it's because of the release of endorphins and adrenaline that comes with the pain. I've got an acupressure mat and it gives me the same sensation. It's nice.

Stonefish

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 20, 2024, 09:15:22 PMWhat about Ben Hur, or the great wall of China? Just a couple of ideas to get you going.

Antidisestablishmentarianism?

Anything I can think of just doesn't seem right. I'd go with my kids' names but there are too many of them