Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you ever feel like you can sense the tooth decay happening in real time

Started by Midas, February 22, 2024, 06:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

BJBMK2

buttgammon

Yes: sour Colin the Caterpillar sweets from M&S. Put them in the freezer for an hour or two to add the extra jeopardy of breakage.

Vodkafone

Stoneage Dinosaurs

This is an excellent thread. I had a twirl earlier today and it almost felt like I heard the enamel screaming in pain. However I started at the gym today so I think those things cancel each other out

lauraxsynthesis

I have to wear a mouth guard when I sleep because for the last few years I've taken to grinding my teeth. Always makes me think of my great aunt's dentures. If I ever sleep with someone again I'll have to choose between sparing my teeth and sparing his horror at my plastic pacifier.

Zero Gravitas

FeederFan500

Full fat Coke. Had a bottle during the Superbowl and reminded myself why I rarely touch the stuff any more.

Video Game Fan 2000

whenever you find an off-brand coke that tastes good but you accidentally let it touch your teeth while you pound the can

back in the good old days when Sun Cola still tasted like it contained two dissolved vitamin c pills and half a jif lemon

Blue Jam

Had a colleague who was addicted to these. I have a sweet tooth but jeez, I can feel my enamel crumbling just thinking about them. The only thing that contains more sugar is sugar.

https://www.mikeandike.com/

QuoteEnjoy the sweet, chewy MIKE AND IKE® fruity flavors you crave.

MIKE AND IKE® continues its partnership with Dignitas, the World's leading Fortnite team.

WHAT

Actual Dignitas would be a sound investment for them tbf

king_tubby

When I go to the International grocery I like to try some of the Pakistani soft drinks they have there. As they seem to be about 90% sugar, yes, I do feel like I can sense the tooth decay happening in real time.

See also Indian sweets.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 23, 2024, 09:53:00 AM

Had a colleague who was addicted to these. I have a sweet tooth but jeez, I can feel my enamel crumbling just thinking about them. The only thing that contains more sugar is sugar.

https://www.mikeandike.com/

WHAT

Actual Dignitas would be a sound investment for them tbf

Now, I love those overpriced American sweets you get in cardboard boxes as much as the next person, but these have always left me cold. The one plus is that they're just about the only brand that doesn't put a plastic bag inside the box (I'll just tip them into the cardboard anyway, you wasteful bastards).

Dex Sawash

Fkn love mike and ikes (original fruits only) will gargle the 5oz movie box but it puts me in a coma.

The Bumlord

White Chocolate Orange easter egg. Oh God.

I only have about six teeth remaining anyway, fuck it.

mippy

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 22, 2024, 10:55:01 PMI have to wear a mouth guard when I sleep because for the last few years I've taken to grinding my teeth. Always makes me think of my great aunt's dentures. If I ever sleep with someone again I'll have to choose between sparing my teeth and sparing his horror at my plastic pacifier.

I have developed a tendency to clench my jaw and then not realise I'm doing it until the muscles hurt, was wondering if this might help.

I get pains in one of my teeth that's crowned. There's no nerve there to hurt! It was a root canal'd tooth that chipped and had to be replaced with a robot one. Maybe it's haunted.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mippy on February 23, 2024, 04:36:47 PMI get pains in one of my teeth that's crowned. There's no nerve there to hurt! It was a root canal'd tooth that chipped and had to be replaced with a robot one. Maybe it's haunted.

I had that after a crown, the crown was a bit too tall so that tooth was clashing too hard causing bone pain. Dentist just ground it down a bit "bite adjustment" I think he called it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Old school super sour chew bars like Irn Bru and Roy of the Rovers bars. You could actually see the crystals of citric acid embedded in them, and almost feel the microns of enamel being dissolved from your teeth with every lick. Can't get evil sweets like that anymore.

See also: Rhubarb crumble

Norton Canes

Yes, and I don't even eat anything that includes refined sugar any more. I have to clean my teeth right after eating any acidic fruit you have to bite into, like apples or plums. Or mashed potato, funnily enough. Though I think that's more a psychological thing.

flotemysost

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 22, 2024, 10:55:01 PMI have to wear a mouth guard when I sleep because for the last few years I've taken to grinding my teeth. Always makes me think of my great aunt's dentures. If I ever sleep with someone again I'll have to choose between sparing my teeth and sparing his horror at my plastic pacifier.

Haha, nooo. I didn't realise I was a chronic tooth-grinder til my most recent trip to the dentist, and when they were surveying the devastation within they asked me (in that witheringly judgemental way they always do) "Do you grind your teeth at all? It seems like you do, going by the gum damage here" and I was all like "nope, of course not" (or whatever that must have sounded like with some sort of Buñuel-esque metal contraption in my gob), then as I was leaving the surgery I put my headphones on and realised I was absent-mindedly sort of grinding/clicking my teeth in time to the music and I must have been doing this for basically my entire life, ffs. FED (via a tube) SOON

lauraxsynthesis

Oh wow! We should be told about the dangers of tooth-grinding in school or something.

shiftwork2

I need to mention once again that my nana had all her teeth taken out as a wedding present.  Straight onto the false choppers.  Who's to say this was not the correct way to play it?  Now with Greggs and the preponderance of warm soft foods that you can 'gum' it makes even more sense.

shoulders

flotemysost

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 24, 2024, 12:29:29 PMI need to mention once again that my nana had all her teeth taken out as a wedding present. 

I bet she did, the dirty old bollocks.

(but yeah, given how supremely fucked NHS dental care is, it does seem like we're heading back towards just *removing* the problem becoming the norm again. "Hello dentist, I've been having some trouble with my-" *HOIK*)

shiftwork2

gabrielconroy

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 24, 2024, 12:29:29 PMI need to mention once again that my nana had all her teeth taken out as a wedding present.  Straight onto the false choppers.  Who's to say this was not the correct way to play it?  Now with Greggs and the preponderance of warm soft foods that you can 'gum' it makes even more sense.

My Blackpool nan had that done as well when she was pretty young, if I remember right.

Given how most of my Dad's teeth fell out maybe it was a good choice (I think it was better than the alternative of them rotting and not being able to afford dental care)

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 23, 2024, 04:54:28 PMYes, and I don't even eat anything that includes refined sugar any more. I have to clean my teeth right after eating any acidic fruit you have to bite into, like apples or plums. Or mashed potato, funnily enough. Though I think that's more a psychological thing.

Potato starch is apparently really bad for your teeth, so you're doing the right thing.

Almost completely totally unrelated, I woke up in agony at 4am with toothache. I think (because it's happened before) that a small seed from a bit of toast has got trapped in the hole in my gums where a wisdom tooth used to be.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 23, 2024, 04:54:28 PMYes, and I don't even eat anything that includes refined sugar any more. I have to clean my teeth right after eating any acidic fruit you have to bite into, like apples or plums.

You should drink some water and give it a few minutes to get rid of the acid and avoid scuffing up your gnashers with a toothbrush. My dentalist told me this after spotting a bit of enamel erosion and asking "Do you eat a lot of fruit?" ARRRGGHHH I WAS TRYING TO BE HEALTHY FFS

Quote from: SpiderChrist on February 24, 2024, 01:39:40 PMPotato starch is apparently really bad for your teeth, so you're doing the right thing.

Apparently it isn't specifically sugar that's bad for your teeth, it's carbohydrates in general. Athletes who do a lot of carb-loading seem to get more tooth decay than the average person. Another example of people trying to be healthy and arrrgghh fuckit what's the point

shiftwork2

The wonderful phrase is 'fermentable carbohydrates'.  Sticky bread and pasta can be worse than refined sugar in some instances.

Galeee

I just ate a Rocky Road, which the other half bought me, as a kindness. Was it, though? Was it?