Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When the Royal Mail stops Saturday deliveries...

Started by kalowski, February 24, 2024, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

... it'll make no difference here. They deliver once a fortnight. I have 7 (seven) LPs in the ether, waiting somewhere for delivery.
It's as big a joke as can be. Where are the posties? All been captured by Triffid girls??

canadagoose

Royal Mail is fucked at the moment. I sent something 1st Class Signed For about a month ago and I never got confirmation of the delivery. I also sent something Special Delivery 1pm a few weeks back, on a Thursday, and it got there on the Monday. Thankfully I got my money back from that one, but it's just been really unreliable.

dontpaintyourteeth

Who's got two thumbs and just started working for them? This guy 👍👍

kalowski

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 24, 2024, 08:01:30 AMWho's got two thumbs and just started working for them? This guy 👍👍
Can you deliver my post, please. Especially the tracked one that's arriving between 7:30am and 7:30pm yesterday.

LordMorgan

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 24, 2024, 08:01:30 AMWho's got two thumbs and just started working for them? This guy 👍👍

Me too, ironically on Saturdays as well
Sundays I do purely parcel delivery for them for extra cash. Been doing Sundays for about 5 months , but now being asked if I want to do post for them on the Saturdays, which I have been doing now nearly a month. And I am really loving it

You hear so many bad stories, it's on its arse, but I just go in grab my mail, fresh air exercise.  The bosses just let you get on with it

It's through an agency, but the RM in my area are recruiting.

I'm actually giving it consideration to joining them full time
They've mentioned it to me

shoulders

Fun that the Horizon IT system that was purchased to make the Post Office efficient, modern, and business-like will end up razing the institution to the ground.

Anyway, sorry: your slow postal deliveries.

Zetetic

Had something stuck in "processing of international mail, processing by designated postal operator" for several days now.

Thankfully it's definitely not a slightly frantic attempt to mitigate ongoing fuckery with a prescription, otherwise it'd be something else to be extremely anxious about and keep bursting into tears over!

(I'm very slightly hopeful it'll turn up this morning, despite the complete lack of any indication that Royal Mail have even acknowledged they have it.)

The Mollusk

Uncle TechTip

Norton Canes

Woah! There goes the letterbox! At exactly the moment I was reading this thread! What are the chances?!

Hang on

Norton Canes

It's the special present I ordered for Mrs Canes. Cool!

Norton Canes

Who says the postie is always for bad things? Thanks, the Post Office!

imitationleather

When my post ratio of drug parcels:debt collection letters began to heavily favour the latter I finally felt like I'd grown up.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: kalowski on February 24, 2024, 07:55:53 AMWhere are the posties?

All posting to CaB instead of delivering your records, apparently.

Quote from: shoulders on February 24, 2024, 08:33:54 AMFun that the Horizon IT system that was purchased to make the Post Office efficient, modern, and business-like will end up razing the institution to the ground.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 24, 2024, 10:51:10 AMWho says the postie is always for bad things? Thanks, the Post Office!

Stop getting Royal Mail/the Post Office wrong!

LordMorgan

Yeah the post office and the Royal Mail are two different organisations

kalowski

Quote from: LordMorgan on February 24, 2024, 12:35:02 PMYeah the post office and the Royal Mail are two different organisations
And neither of them want to deliver to my house.

Sebastian Cobb

It's just letters they're threatening not to deliver isn't it?

Staff are having to do the equivalent of 2 or 3 postal routes themselves as it is, which is why mail either often gets taken back (as there isn't enough time to deliver all of the mail) or isn't taken out at all for multiple days in a row.

Reducing the USO by a day won't benefit anyone other than the shareholders, as it will be an excuse to cut jobs which means the remaining workers will have an even bigger workload than the already unmanageable ones. They'll be expected to deliver 6 days worth of letters in 5, while having to deliver even more parcels that the company will have them out delivering instead of letters on Saturdays.

Overtime rates are shit, and that combined with the company hiring agency staff on higher rates of pay despite both they and the union claiming the company doesn't have the money to do stuff like that, means morale of permanent staff is rock bottom.

kalowski

Yes, to be clear, I am not blaming any of the posties for this calamity. But things sure is fucked up.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah in my last flat the posties changed from week to week. They definitely ran one for letters and one for parcels as well.

In a big long row of tenements now and I think matey runs both together here, although I know the guys on foot often get van drops on their route.

Glebe

Pat'll have more time to enjoy his extracurricular activities!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 24, 2024, 10:40:16 AMGood evening and welcome to Watchdog.

In more Old People News... I have a building society account that's online only. I tried to login to it for the first time in ages recently, and found I was locked out, so I rang them up and they said they'd post me a temporary code or somesuch. When it arrived, I waited until the weekend to use it (I needed to be at home), and found it was only valid for 14 days and it had expired the day before. So I rang back on Monday to get them to send me another one, thinking 'I'll use this as soon as it arrives', which was precisely 15 days after the date on the letter.

So I know 'everything's online' and 'no-one sends letters anymore' but this is bullshit and I wonder if I'll ever be able to get my money out of that account.

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on February 24, 2024, 08:43:07 AMHad something stuck in "processing of international mail, processing by designated postal operator" for several days now.
After seven days, it's finally turned up at the Langley sorting centre.

At least Putin made the postal service run on time

KennyMonster

Saw a documentary on the Post Office a few weeks ago, apparently they are all on the take and use their shoddy computer system to cover their tracks, or something.

Dr Rock

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/08/uk-government-reject-royal-mail-request-end-saturday-deliveries

QuoteRoyal Mail's plan to stop delivering post on Saturdays has been blocked by the government in a blow to the company, which has claimed a six-day service is financially unsustainable.

Madhair spreading chaos, fear and anarchy as usual.

Glebe

When the Royal Mail stops Saturday deliveries...
Turn out the light
Turn out the light

Underturd

I see it as an opportunity not to be woken up on a Saturday morning by the postie hammering on the door to deliver oversized junk mail to someone who doesn't live here.

Senior Baiano

Quote from: kalowski on February 24, 2024, 07:55:53 AM... it'll make no difference here. They deliver once a fortnight. I have 7 (seven) LPs in the ether, waiting somewhere for delivery.
It's as big a joke as can be. Where are the posties? All been captured by Triffid girls??

🎵 Time,

Times 🎵

Ray Travez

Quote from: canadagoose on February 24, 2024, 08:00:22 AMRoyal Mail is fucked at the moment

They are, and they seem to degenerate on a weekly basis. It's like you can see the wheels coming off in real time.