Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad old git section

Started by canadagoose, February 29, 2024, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

I know Dex Sawash did a topic about how long he'd been on the forum and other people joined in, but I was thinking of a different focus. What age were you when you joined CaB, how much older are you now, and how have you changed (or how has CaB changed you)? I often see usernames of people I met in real life ages ago, and I wonder how they've aged, and what influence CaB has had on their lives.

I'll answer it properly later, because I can't be bothered. But I joined here at 22 and now I'm 35. Can't believe my thirties are over halfway finished.

Beagle 2

I know it was after 9/11 because I didn't follow any of that stuff on here, but I don't think it was too long after. So I'd have been 21-ish, and I'm 42 now.

I do remember whinging about the fact I hadn't passed my driving test in an early thrilling post and I still haven't, so I probably should have been sorting that out instead of coming here.

canadagoose

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 29, 2024, 09:36:04 AMI know it was after 9/11 because I didn't follow any of that stuff on here, but I don't think it was too long after. So I'd have been 21-ish, and I'm 42 now.

I do remember whinging about the fact I hadn't passed my driving test in an early thrilling post and I still haven't, so I probably should have been sorting that out instead of coming here.
I still can't drive either. What is it about CaB and non-drivers?

thenoise

My first post was age 28, although I had been lurking for several years by this point, to make a series of miserable office temp jobs easier. I had the old site bookmarked too, but I didn't do forums then.

My old university pals had gone on to have proper careers and I was a bit left behind, so I was grateful to find what appeared to be a load of overeducated, slightly bitter but good natured office temps with minor alcohol problems. Of course now you all have careers and families and mortgages etc but it was nice to feel like I belonged for a while.

Alberon

I was here on the old, now lost board. I think I stayed almost entirely on what is now the 'Picture Box' section back then. Was there even a 'General Bullshit' equivalent back then?

imitationleather

Joined at 15, now 37. Fucking hell.

Butchers Blind

Scientists say that excessive exposure of CaB can age you.

tookish

I was 20, now I'm nearly 33. You get less for murder, hur hur.

When I joined I was a sad, lonely little creature and desperate to please. Also exceptionally mentally ill and probably very difficult to be around. I hugely appreciate the members who helped me stand on my own two feet and get the help I needed. Special shout out to Small Man Big Horse who talked me down from countless ledges at unsociable hours.

Things are much better now, thank God, and I do credit this website with quite a lot of my growth as a person. Not to be a sap, but I love you cunts.

Zetetic

Same as a couple of others - early 20s, now older than God (mid-30s).

I am much gone down in the world, thankfully.

madhair60

joined at 20, now 37. seventeen years o' laffs!!!

NoSleep

Fuck! 3 days ago I've been here 19 years. that means I was 51.

touchingcloth

I'll be 11 this year.

I've lurked for a lot longer, though. When did the site stop being deep blue and hosting Blue Jam/Chris Morris radio show .wavs? And has Morris ever had anything like https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/did-you-illegally-download-my-dvds/ ?

The Dog

imitationleather

Uh-oh, we got ourselves a leapling!

(Happy birthday.)

Bernice

I was 21 and am now 32. Probably had about 4 accounts in that time I reckon, and gone through various peaks and troughs of actually posting anything.

Butchers Blind

I've been signed up to various forums over the years but CaB is the only one I've stuck with. You lucky people.

shoulders

This topic came up at the Manchester meet. Joined age 14 now 37. Next year I will have been bald for a majority of the time I've been on the forum.

To try and answer the opening post, I think it's profoundly changed my world view (largely to a more liberal one) shaped my appreciation and application of critical thinking, provided a cathartic outlet when things are going shit in the outside world as well as introducing me to loads of good art and comedy.

Over 20+ meets I've met over 80 CaBbers now and what's interesting is there isn't any singular combining reason or utility people have for using the forum. At face value that seems a weird nebulous compliment but that's possibly why it has been successful.

Small Man Big Horse

I joined when I was 27 and I hit 50 this year. I know every person who has ever turned 50 thinks this as well but it seems insane, it was my friend's 50th earlier this month and yet it only seems like a couple of years ago that we were playing on his Commodore 64 in his bedroom and getting in to lengthy discussions about what the best strip in 2000AD was that week.

badaids

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 29, 2024, 12:51:50 PMI joined when I was 27 and I hit 50 this year. I know every person who has ever turned 50 thinks this as well but it seems insane, it was my friend's 50th earlier this month and yet it only seems like a couple of years ago that we were playing on his Commodore 64 in his bedroom and getting in to lengthy discussions about what the best strip in 2000AD was that week.

This is basically me.

Jockice

46 or 7. 58. My life is effectively over.

Underturd

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: canadagoose on February 29, 2024, 10:21:09 AMI still can't drive either. What is it about CaB and non-drivers?

We're all fully paid up members of the metropolitan liberal elite, and London's excellent public transport means we don't have to drive like those scummy provincials.

Zetetic

I'm finally having a second go at a driving test on Monday, a decade and a half after the first one, but that's only because being trapped in Devon has forced my hand.

Alberon

I passed my test at around 19 then didn't drive again for about twenty years. Got an automatic now which is fine, though I will never understand anyone who drives for pleasure, the absolute twisted fucks.

jobotic

Christ you're all so young.

Apart from the ones that aren't.

I was 41. It was ten years ago. Doubt I'd have bothered if it was just a comedy forum.

NoSleep

Utter Shit

I would have joined around 2003 or 2004 when I was 18. More than half my life ago. Shambles.

EDIT: Just seen all the driving chat - I'm another one who is only just getting around to learning to drive now. Got my test in April. To reiterate: Shambles.

Norton Canes

I was 41 years when I joined this board
I'm 55 now plus some months I've ignored
People ask me when will I grow up to understand
Why the whole of my prepuce won't roll back over my glans

selectivememory

26 when I joined up, reckon I probably lurked for a while before then though.

38 now. Can't even drive either.

Alberon

Bald, phismotic, bus wankers - the lot of us.