Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad old git section

Started by canadagoose, February 29, 2024, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's been more than 20 years since I first joined, and I'm 43 now.

I used to at least try to be creative and/or amusing, but now I just hang around waiting for other people to do it instead.

monkfromhavana

Fucking hell, I was 34 when I joined. I'd been back living in the front small bedroom of my parent's house for 2 years, I'd just been made unemployed and I was single and miserable in my sordid little grief hole.

12 years later and I've been in a relationship for 11 years and managed to get enough money to buy a house. Been in the same job for 5 years which is a record for me.

So, 12 years on the forum and my life had improved immeasurably. Do you know much CAB was responsible for this upturn in my fortunes?

That's right, fuck all.

It has however entertained me, supported me and opened my eyes to current affairs and general goings-on. I do still feel very much like a newbie though.

Underturd

Quote from: Alberon on February 29, 2024, 03:01:29 PMbus wankers - the lot of us.

Is that compulsory? Because I promised my mum I wouldn't do that any more.

Poobum

12 years, 26-38.

My driving.

jamiefairlie

You know that pre-born again madness Sally Phillips? That's all of you that is!

(not as attractive obviously)

frajer

Been here almost 5 years now, man and boy man.

I've watched C-beams glitter on bald heads near the Captain Tom memorial spa. Your Dad on fire off the shoulder of Norm's mower.

Time to die.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Joined as a gangly awkward 18 year old under a different name, am now a somewhat wider 30 year old called Stoneage Dinosaurs. I thought that as I got older I'd gradually slide up the age average until I was no longer unfashionably young, however it appears that CaB simply has an ageing population and there will come a time where me and Thomas are the only people left on the site (if indeed he still posts here now, I haven't checked)

Butchers Blind

I know it will happen at some point, but I can't imagine this place not being here.

Pranet

Quote from: Alberon on February 29, 2024, 01:57:13 PMI passed my test at around 19 then didn't drive again for about twenty years. Got an automatic now which is fine, though I will never understand anyone who drives for pleasure, the absolute twisted fucks.

Didn't you have to relearn driving again? I ask because, I passed my test in I think 2011. I very occasionally drove my dad's car for a couple of years when visiting the parents for a bit, but I think it would have been 2013, maybe 2014 when I last drove. And now I wouldn't have a clue.

According to my posts I joined in 2005. I haven't changed, apart from being older and fatter and more defeated.

Fambo Number Mive

Started reading the forum at 17. Joined at 19. Been here ever since, though I quit and came back with a new account a couple of times.

Cab has influenced my political views, the television I watch, my sense of humour, the books I read, the magazines I read, and much more. Its probably the most understanding, most interesting, kindest and funniest place on the internet, and I love it.

I cant drive and intend never to need to, although it would be handy for some places. Just cant imagine it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Oh yeah I do not drive either

imitationleather

Oh, I drive alright... Drive my parents mad!!!

salr

Am 41, registered when i was about 27. Had been lurking for a while before that.

I think I have changed quite a bit since then. Still have some of the same problems (addiction) but they're more obvious now.

Think when I was younger/20yrs ago I was a bit of a libertarian. Forums like this would have helped me grow out of that.

I have other character flaws carried over since then (some of which I am working on fixing, some not).

I think I made a lot of progress as a person when I was in a psychiactric institution for a few weeks. Nothing to do but lie in bed staring at the ceiling and wondering what life choices have led you to this point.

Alberon

Quote from: Pranet on February 29, 2024, 05:03:48 PMDidn't you have to relearn driving again? I ask because, I passed my test in I think 2011. I very occasionally drove my dad's car for a couple of years when visiting the parents for a bit, but I think it would have been 2013, maybe 2014 when I last drove. And now I wouldn't have a clue.

I had a couple of driving lessons when I started again and (the future) Mrs Alberon  supervised me on a few outings (which did end in raised voices on both sides).

It was surprising how much came back to me from my lessons and mostly my problems were confidence ones.

I remember early on having to drive on my own to my in-laws and bricking it there and back.

Endicott

Joined 13 years ago when aged 46, after watching first USENET and then NotBBC die. Amazing that this place still has such a vibrant community.

Not gone bald yet.

QDRPHNC

I joined the same year my son was born and he just turned 16.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pranet on February 29, 2024, 05:03:48 PMDidn't you have to relearn driving again? I ask because, I passed my test in I think 2011. I very occasionally drove my dad's car for a couple of years when visiting the parents for a bit, but I think it would have been 2013, maybe 2014 when I last drove. And now I wouldn't have a clue.

I've had a few lengthy hiatus' in driving. It's like riding a bike, and you tend to do a shit job for about 5 minutes while you overthink it before realising you're doing fine without thinking.

non capisco

Would have been 2002 because I remember the boss I mentioned who proclaimed "Release the Kraken!" then farted and accidentally shat himself (then had a mid life crisis and moved his desk and computer into the stock cupboard) having a go at me for "always looking at that facking blue website, what facking is it?". I would have been 23 or 24. That rail thin whelp who didn't know they were dyspraxic and just thought they were, I suppose, "naturally useless" seems a million miles to me from the reasonably OK with themselves 45 year old fat cunt of today. Either end of that timeframe was/is glad of CaB as a constant. So much cultural discovery and belly laughs out of you beautiful bunch.

On a sentimental note, I continue to fucking love this place and have really enjoyed recently meeting more of you in that "real life" they have now.

Rev+

Joined CHRIST ME about 23 years ago, during the time when the main site had temporarily been taken down and only the forum remained.  A wild state of affairs that we'll hopefully never see again (insert emoticon to make it obvious this is light-hearted joshing here, I'm too fucking decrepit to understand what they all mean).

So, almost exactly half my lifetime ago.  Weird thing is that I had two touchstones to help in figuring it out.  9/11, yeah - that feels like a long time ago.  The Brass Eye Special?  Fuck off was that 23 years ago

earl_sleek

I was about 25, and turned 40 earlier this month. Fuck.

Learned to drive in 2016 I think.

It's strange to think CaB has been a constant in my life for longer than any job or girlfriend, despite being on the periphery of it all that time. I have friendships that are older but not many. You're alright, ya cunts.

Butchers Blind

Would be nice to do something for the 25th anniversary this August.

Brundle-Fly

Hate-lurked around the early 00s believing this place was full of sneering cunts, then eventually joined up in 2007 aged 41. This place is still full of sneering cunts, but the sneering is more refined and redirected now.
So, I'm 58 in a fortnight, and have lived to tell the tale on this fascinating and delightful website. Dead soon.

idunnosomename

joined at 28 years old, I am now 28 years old.

Poobum

I had the same with maybe an 8 year gap in driving, a few refresher lessons and I was fine, disregarding the incident up thread. More stressful was following the sat-nav down some very narrow streets in a little Italian town in a tiny Fiat Panda. I disregarded the wildly gesticulating locals cause that's what they do. First was folding in the wing mirrors, which I'd had to do before when driving pick-ups through similar towns and never thought owt of it, only when the road turned to steps ahead and got even narrower did it finally click. Quite stressful, as reversing out the way I came was tricky to say the least.

Vitamin C

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 29, 2024, 08:30:39 PMI've had a few lengthy hiatus' in driving. It's like riding a bike

I have been here under loads of usernames since about 2002 I think. An identity crisis? Probably. I have a full head of hair, can drive, and have no foreskin problems. Also gainfully employed.

SetToStun

Funnily enough I was wondering just the other day when it was that I joined up - it must have been before the Great Crash as Trigger Happy TV was still showing (I joined to ask whether and where I could buy one of those giant mobile 'phones for a colleague's birthday. Boy did I get roasted).

I would have been around 33-34 at the time. 57 now - significantly older but not noticeably wiser.

For full disclosure I passed my driving test first time out, in 1984. I suspect the examiner was mad or drunk.

Dex Sawash

Underturd

Jake Thingray

I'm 52 now, was 36 when I joined and wish I'd done so earlier and started posting earlier, preferred the emphasis at that time on British comedy, especially on radio, and revulsion for the overhyped likes of Gervais, with my crap sense of timing joined just when this was ceasing to be the case. Due to sense memory I still look on here daily but, while I don't doubt there's intelligent and informed discussion on here, it's largely about American comedy.

Mister Six

Joined the original board in my final year of uni, so when I was about 21. Which means I've been here for about 20 years! Fuck.

Changes? More hair on chest, more weight on belly. That's about it.