Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Psychiatric medications

Started by oggyraiding, February 29, 2024, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

I recently started on risperidone, and I feel constantly drunk and I'm struggling to verbalise stuff and I'm slurring.

Any fellow risperidoners who can say if this is normal or not?

But this thread can be for all psychiatric medication discussion. I know when I first started on antidepressants the doctor didn't really give me much info on what I'd experience and I knew nobody else on them IRL, so the internet was a really useful resource to find the actual side effects and how to dodge them.

lauraxsynthesis

All Surrogate

I'm not on risperidone, but I am on quetiapine, which is another 'atypical anti-psychotic'. I'm on a low dose, as it's prescribed as an adjunct anti-depressant rather than an anti-psychotic.

It certainly does make me sleepy if I take my proper full dose, so I generally take less than that, and just before bed. It's good at stopping me from dreaming, which means I can get more restful sleep, but I balance that against the need to be able to get out of bed and be functional in the morning.

When I began taking it, even a small dose had a big effect, but I've built up a bit of a tolerance to it now.

Keep discussing it with your doctor, to find a suitable level for you.

I also take sertaline, an SSRI anti-depressant. I sometimes wonder how much that's helping me these days, but I don't think I'll take the risk of coming off it. It's much much easier to keep popping the pills than endure another depressive episode.