Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shooting up England and Wales

Started by Rev+, March 03, 2024, 08:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 04, 2024, 09:53:04 AMsurely if it was there'd be hundreds of thousands of them? But you dont need a licence for them because they arent a firearm (hence "captive bolt", the bolt just projects out into the brain, and you just slide it back into the barrel). Presumably it's what some slaughterhouses call their free-bullet gun they keep for emergencies.

Some of them are powered using blank cartridges rather than compressed air - https://www.hsa.org.uk/equipment/energy-source - for doing your killing out in the fields. It might be those ones that need to be registered as firearms as well as the actual guns like you mention. It's not just emergencies - most of the smallholders I know kill their animals by shooting them in the head while it's buried in a bucket of food.

Des Wigwam

Wither all the arquebus?

PlanktonSideburns

dissolute ocelot

885 cannons? Does that refer to the classic cannonball-firing early modern weapon? If it's antique do you need a licence for that? Or modern replicas? Btw, a carronade is a specific type of cannon made in Falkirk by the Carron company, only one of them.

A kiln gun is quite cool too, it's a big shotgun used for clearing slag from metal-smelting kilns and blasting in mining and quarrying.

A pen projector could be various things including a small pen-like device projecting a tear gas cannister.

And kind of disappointed by the low number of tranquilising pistols (16) and rifles (123). I'd imagine every vet and zookeeper would be issued with one, which they would regularly fire into the bums of fat elderly ladies and visiting dignitaries. What if a monkey escapes? Won't somebody think of the bananas?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

QuoteHumane Killer 2 Shot    3
Huamen Killer 2 Shot Revolver    23

Bloody Chinese making cheap knock off copies of our great British Humane Killer guns. They probably put the trigger on backwards or something.

buzby

Quote from: thenoise on March 04, 2024, 09:14:56 AM
Quote from: Mister Six on March 04, 2024, 05:46:19 AMBit concerned about those seven tanks.

I assume many of these belong to film prop people or something?
There must be #staglad experiences where you can drive a tank about. Maybe even fire at something. The only time most of us will fire a gun is when we're dragged along to #staglad experience days. Unless you're a #farmercunt

Almost all privately-owned tanks, self-propelled guns, armoured cars and field guns have had their guns deactivated by removal of the firing pin and welding up of the firing pin hole in the breech block (or just removing the breech block completely), gas-axing a 2"x1" slot into the end of the breech, grinding slots into the breech face to prevent a gas seal from forming and and welding 2" thick plug into the breech end of the barrel.

The small number that aren't deactivated (usually owned by re-enactors or prop vehicle companies) can be registered as large single shot rifles or shotguns (if they have smoothbore barrels) if the owner already has a firearms certificate, with the condition thet they are not allowed to own any ammunition for it (re-enactors and prop companies use flashbang-type explosive pots to simulate firing shells, which require them to also have an explosives handling licence).

The ability to legally register ex-military 'destructive weapons' varies from county to county depending on the attitude of the police (and whether the prospective owner already has a firearms licence) however, so most people just have them deactivated (if they aren't already) to save the hassle.

touchingcloth

I've got a mass driver. Do I need to report this to gov.uk or gov.lun?

Ferris

Re: deactivating firearms, I spent a summer as a teenager deactivating and decertifying firearms (don't ask) and the rule of thumb for it to be signed off by the smith is that it takes more work to build one from scratch than it does to re-convert whatever you've deactivated.

For example, welding a steel rod inside the barrel was a good start because to get that out you need to know how a parallel reamer works and how to operate it. Well if you can do that, there are easier ways for one to make illegal things than buying a deactivated firearm and mucking about with it.

buzby

Quote from: Ferris on March 04, 2024, 04:07:21 PMRe: deactivating firearms, I spent a summer as a teenager deactivating and decertifying firearms (don't ask) and the rule of thumb for it to be signed off by the smith is that it takes more work to build one from scratch than it does to re-convert whatever you've deactivated.

For example, welding a steel rod inside the barrel was a good start because to get that out you need to know how a parallel reamer works and how to operate it. Well if you can do that, there are easier ways for one to make illegal things than buying a deactivated firearm and mucking about with it.
The Home Office deactivation regs changed massively in 1995 and now involve cutting away or welding solid the entire internals of the firearm, so all you are left with is the outer shell that resembles what it was before. Needless to say, this caused the arse to fall out of the deac market - nobody who wants a deactivated weapon wants one they can't strip, rack the slide/bolt or even pull the trigger on.

It created the situation that re-enactors now usually go for blank-firing (or LPG operated in the case of machine guns) replicas that must be manufactured specifically or built from scratch rather than converted from deactivated firearms (which with the current deactivation standards it's impossible to do).

MojoJojo

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 04, 2024, 09:43:34 AMGuns are actually pretty easy to legally own in the UK, you just need to be checked for any mental health issues and have police make sure you have your firearm and ammo are stored securely in separate places, and explain why you need the firearm (being part of a gun club is enough). Contrary to belief, you don't need to be a farmer or ex police or anything.

While technically true, I suspect that the proving you have a reason bit is hard unless you know the right people - it's down to the police's discretion.

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 04, 2024, 12:49:20 PM885 cannons? Does that refer to the classic cannonball-firing early modern weapon? If it's antique do you need a licence for that? Or modern replicas? Btw, a carronade is a specific type of cannon made in Falkirk by the Carron company, only one of them.
presumably replicas used by enactment groups that only ever fire blanks, but since you could put a projectile in them presumably would need to register them (and yes blanks are dangerous if you arent careful)

Obviously all the dozens of ones you see blowing off whenever the queen had one of her birthdays, prince philip had a bowel movement, or prince andrew fucked a child, are held by the British Army even if all they ever do is fire blanks.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 05, 2024, 10:19:23 AMWhile technically true, I suspect that the proving you have a reason bit is hard unless you know the right people - it's down to the police's discretion.

I'm sure people get denied for all sorts of reasons, but looking on reddit it seems like if people want to do it they'll find ways like getting membership to some obscure club they have no real intention of taking part in. Having any kind of history of mental illness pretty much makes you ineligible though.

Personally I'd just get a cheap flight to somewhere like Poland where you can shoot any calibre you want.

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2024, 10:25:00 AMpresumably replicas used by enactment groups that only ever fire blanks, but since you could put a projectile in them presumably would need to register them (and yes blanks are dangerous if you arent careful)

The blank firing guns which you can get in the UK are top venting (rather than through the end of the barrel) so no worries about projectiles. They're still pretty much as loud as the real thing though and the flash bang just as liable to burn whatever's next to it so still require people using them safely.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 04, 2024, 09:53:04 AMAnyway heres some helpful pictures i just found if youre unclear where to shoot animals.

god i wish that were me

Dex Sawash

Quote from: thenoise on March 04, 2024, 10:03:45 AMThey look so happy.

We all would if our likeness was selected by the humane slaughter association

Glebe

Zero Gravitas

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2024, 10:25:00 AMpresumably replicas used by enactment groups that only ever fire blanks, but since you could put a projectile in them presumably would need to register them (and yes blanks are dangerous if you arent careful)

Obviously all the dozens of ones you see blowing off whenever the queen had one of her birthdays, prince philip had a bowel movement, or prince andrew fucked a child, are held by the British Army even if all they ever do is fire blanks.

'Cannons' are usually black powder single shot artillery pieces. The smaller ones (barrel of at least 24" and under 2" bore) are classed as Section 2 firearms, the same smoothbore shotguns, for certification purposes. The vast majority of antique cannons (such as those used by Sealed Knot re-enactors) fall into this category.

Anything larger than 2" bore becomes a Section 5 firearm which are illegal to own without sufficient justification and usually will come with a restriction that you can't own any ammunition for it.

If you want to fire it using black powder you are also required to hold an Explosives Licence, which includes specific storage and containment provisions for black powder. Modern propellants can be substituted instead of black powder, which you can hold up to 10kg of if you have a Firearms Licence (which you should have to own the cannon anyway).

Sealed Knot gun captains (i.e. the ones who own or look after the cannons) have to have a shotgun licence and Explosive licence.

Anything more modern that has rifling are usually referred to as a field gun, anti-aircraft gun or anti-tank gun, and will have to be deactivated as per the description of the process of a main gun on a tank I posted earlier in the thread.

The guns used by the Army for salutes are typically 25-pounder field guns whose design dates back to WWII. The Royal Horse Artllery have some ceremonial 13-pounder guns (whose design predates WWI) that they use for salutes. Royal Navy ships have 3-pounder ceremonial saluting guns fitted, which are basically the modern form of the 'cannon':

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 05, 2024, 11:33:01 AMI bet this feels so good for the animal.

when you think about boltguns they're just like sex, but it happens right in the middle of where you are

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 05, 2024, 10:58:47 AMWe all would if our likeness was selected by the humane slaughter association

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Russ L

THEY SHOOTIN'

Aw made you look, you a slave to a page in my rhyme book