Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:40:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scones

Started by Brian Freeze, March 05, 2024, 08:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scone

Scone
8 (26.7%)
Scone
14 (46.7%)
Scone
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Brian Freeze

Question of the year so far -

How do you pronounce scone?

And do you get irritated by how other people pronounce it?

Also a knockout recipe for cheese scones would be gratefully received. Do I need sour milk for the bestest ones?

Got butter, flour, smoked cheddar and some goats cheese so far. Aiming for two sorts not a big mix up.

Thanks x

L. Bizarglow

Is it scon or scone? Pretty easy question if you ask me.
Yeah it pisses me of massively if people pronounce it scon.

Buelligan

Associate scone with people trying to sound posh and find that pronunciation mildly embarrassing but realise not everyone who says scone is like that.

On posh pronunciation also found myself irritated by the actors in The Crown pronouncing how as haow - like Sibyl Faulty - rathen than howh.  The reason Sibyl spoke like that was because she was a scone person not a posh person.

BlodwynPig

Ginger, cinnamon, cheddar and orange marmelade Scon

Definitely 'scon', rhyming with 'gone'. The 'scoan' pronunciation is quite annoying, like people pronouncing envelope as 'on-velope'.

The scone pronunciation map seems to have parts of S/W Yorkshire, E Lancs, the Stoke area, Humberside etc. as strongholds of the 'scoan' pronunciation, whereas in Ireland there is a very clear trend for scoan the further south and west you go.

https://brilliantmaps.com/scone-map/

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 05, 2024, 09:39:55 AMDefinitely 'scon', rhyming with 'gone'. The 'scoan' pronunciation is quite annoying, like people pronouncing envelope as 'on-velope'.

Or, you know, people who can read and can see that there's a fucking magic e there.

shiftwork2

Quote from: L. Bizarglow on March 05, 2024, 08:12:55 AMIs it scon or scone? Pretty easy question if you ask me.

How do you pronounce gone?  Actually you probably do.  You lot.

Glebe

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 05, 2024, 09:39:55 AMDefinitely 'scon', rhyming with 'gone'. The 'scoan' pronunciation is quite annoying, like people pronouncing envelope as 'on-velope'.

The scone pronunciation map seems to have parts of S/W Yorkshire, E Lancs, the Stoke area, Humberside etc. as strongholds of the 'scoan' pronunciation, whereas in Ireland there is a very clear trend for scoan the further south and west you go.

https://brilliantmaps.com/scone-map/

That would explain why I used to say scoan when I lived in Cumbria and at some point years after moving to London it changed to scon. I feel like I'm speaking RP like a posh twat when I say scon, but no option feels right anymore.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 05, 2024, 11:43:14 AMHow do you pronounce gone?  Actually you probably do.  You lot.
I might be a lon voice but I don't like your ton.

Dex Sawash

Just piss biscuits isn't it

ros vulgaris

It's 'John Scone with Butter On'
not 'Joan Scone with Butter Own'.

Berries

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 05, 2024, 08:07:13 AMAlso a knockout recipe for cheese scones would be gratefully received. Do I need sour milk for the bestest ones?
Scon.

And yog-urt, not yoh-gurt while you are at it.

Easy recipe for a morning scone.
Sift 3 cups plain flour, 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt into a bowl
Mix in 2 tsp caster sugar and most of 3 cups of grated cheese
Add roughly 300ml normal milk and mix it all together. Add a bit more milk if you need it, you will know when it is ready
Drop it on your floured worktop and roll out until it is about 15mm thick and then cut into whatever sized pieces you fancy
Glaze with milk, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over them and bake at 180 fan for about 15 minutes.

Makes one giant scone, a few medium sized ones or quite a few small ones depending on how many people stayed over. Slather with butter and gerritdownya.

Mr Banlon

S-choni (in an Italian accent)

Maurice Yeatman

Susie Dent says either is valid, but like me she pronounces it to rhyme with gone. Then again she laughs at Jimmy Carr so can we trust her?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If Scottish people love pronouncing 'scone' like 'sconn' so much, how come in the Stone of Scone it's pronounced 'scoon'?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Berries on March 06, 2024, 12:12:52 AMScon.

Add roughly 300ml normal milk and mix it all together. Add a bit more milk if you need it, you will know when it is ready
Drop it on your floured worktop and roll out until it is about 15mm thick and then cut into whatever sized pieces you fancy
Glaze with milk, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over them and bake at 180 fan for about 15 minutes.

Makes one giant scone, a few medium sized ones or quite a few small ones depending on how many people stayed over. Slather with butter and gerritdownya.

A gooseberry and cinnamon yo-gurt and a lovely scone.

Clearly it's scon for normal people.

Beagle 2

Northern lad and I say scoan. They're luxurious, delicious things, they deserve an elongated and seductive word rolling around the mouth. Say scon and you might as well slap your willy on the table and shout "I SPEAK AS I FIND".

Cold Meat Platter

Glebe

Berries

Shaxberd

Team "scon" here, which I think puts me in the minority for my region. Blame that one on my mum being a southerner, picked up a lot of my pronunciation from her as a kid and not all of it shifted.

shiftwork2

Scoan.  The Hyacinth Bucket telephone voice.  The oval-shaped bit of carpet on top of the toilet lid.  The fondness for the Lib Dems.  Scoan.

You must hear yourselves.  The question is how are you able to live with yourselves?

Glebe

Quote from: L. Bizarglow on March 05, 2024, 08:12:55 AMIs it scon or scone? Pretty easy question if you ask me.

That's how Mole on the stop-motion Wind in the Willows pronounced it.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Berries on March 06, 2024, 12:12:52 AMScon.

thanks for the recipe, just wondering why you prefer plain+bicarb as opposed to self-raising? Or is that another regional variation that can be depicted on a map? (preferably suitbale for the colourbind)

Brian Freeze

I think the only other thing I know about scones is Blindboy saying his mum keeps dropping them off at his house because whenever she has the oven on she fills the remaining space with trays of scones so as not to waste the heat/energy/money.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 05, 2024, 11:16:59 PMJust piss biscuits isn't it

Do you put biscuits on your cobblers over there?

ros vulgaris

It's scoan if you have plastic swords above your mantelpiece and crocheted doilies on your loo roll and that's the end of it.

Aleister Growley

Here in East Yorkshire its more like Scern.