Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Constance Marten and Mark Gordon trial

Started by Barry Admin, March 06, 2024, 10:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Following this? I'm fascinated by it, especially when it took a surprise turn last week, and it turned out that Constance Marten is absolutely loaded.

Then the tragic and awful way the baby was found. And the taxi with the burnt-out placenta in it. The pair of them living in a tent in January. Whole thing is just fucked.

Endicott

It's one of those stories that I never looked into enough to be able to understand much about it, while at the same time whenever new info percolates into the news it is both fascinating and baffling.

Icehaven

It was in the news ages ago that her family are minted. Plus she's called Constance and even in her mugshot she looks like she should have been head girl at St. Hockeysticks.

Mr_Simnock

The pair of them come across as quite mentally unwell, what else is there beyond that?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

No.

I'm the most morbid true crime and disaster ghoul you can find, but a little baby being neglected really upsets me.

bgmnts

Steer well clear of the absolute worst of human evil nowadays, and find true crime far too ghoulish, but yeah seems a pretty clearcut case of people neglecting their children.

Unsure about freebirths; a midwife should at least be present, surely?

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: bgmnts on March 07, 2024, 12:34:55 PMSteer well clear of the absolute worst of human evil nowadays, and find true crime far too ghoulish, but yeah seems a pretty clearcut case of people neglecting their children.

Unsure about freebirths; a midwife should at least be present, surely?

it's a bit more than just 'neglect' to me, these people need some serious help

Blinder Data

since becoming a dad, I try to stay clear of anything involving harm towards children. this feels very grim

Quote from: bgmnts on March 07, 2024, 12:34:55 PMUnsure about freebirths; a midwife should at least be present, surely?

it totally depends on the situation. I know someone who got her own pool and did a free birth at home during the pandemic because the idea of doing it at hospital maybe in self-isolation was unpalatable. not for the faint of heart though - the mother had rowed across the Atlantic so endurance tests were her thing

our second child came on super quickly and would probably have been born at home with just me in attendance if my wife wasn't so determined not to. we were at the hospital for about 20 mins before baby came. midwives inspected her once but otherwise didn't touch her.

this should not be considered a defence for whatever the fuck this reckless couple did

Alberon

It's clear the couple's lives were in chaos already as the reason they went on the run is their other children had been taken into care. It is all very grim indeed.

As to freebirths, if I had that set of organs I'd be choosing to give birth in hospital on as much pain reduction medication as they allowed and all the midwives I could keep hold of. I'd even insist on having the machine that goes ping.

I can sort of understand why some people want to have freebirths but (while I accept it's a very different thing) it feels like waving off the anaesthetist when having your foot amputated and just asking for something to bite down on instead.

touchingcloth

I'm seeing it reported Constance Marten got £2000 a month from her family.

Mr_Simnock

At stoneyhurst college, not far from where I live, the place C Morris went for a while, some of the kids get that (and more) for spending money, what the fuck do you do with that at boarding school? (apart from drugs)

Barry Admin

Quote from: Alberon on March 07, 2024, 02:13:53 PMAs to freebirths, if I had that set of organs I'd be choosing to give birth in hospital on as much pain reduction medication as they allowed and all the midwives I could keep hold of. I'd even insist on having the machine that goes ping.

Fuck yeah. I'm such a sensitive little baby I even used to regularly get gas and air at the dentists. It was great though, disassociating while I got a filling. I always try and deliberately space out in the dentists, I had a root canal last week, urgh. My tongue hasn't gone back to normal yet after the injections, apparently it can take weeks.

Kankurette

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 07, 2024, 03:24:56 PMFuck yeah. I'm such a sensitive little baby I even used to regularly get gas and air at the dentists. It was great though, disassociating while I got a filling. I always try and deliberately space out in the dentists, I had a root canal last week, urgh. My tongue hasn't gone back to normal yet after the injections, apparently it can take weeks.
You poor bastard. How the hell did you manage to keep your mouth open for so long? I don't think they can wedge it open and the thought of opening my mouth that wide for over an hour makes me wince.

I had gas and air when I had a colonoscopy and I regret nothing. I don't like things being shoved up my poopchute.
Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 07, 2024, 11:56:50 AMNo.

I'm the most morbid true crime and disaster ghoul you can find, but a little baby being neglected really upsets me.
Same. I'm childfree but something about neglected or murdered babies and little kids gets me. I saw two little body bags on some news about Palestine and had to look away. And it's even worse when it's your own child, like that poor girl whose parents locked her in their pit bulls' cage and made her eat dog food. Why would you do that to your own kid.

Harry Badger

I think I remember reading that she was basically a nice-but-dim rich girl who had no real purpose in life but had then somehow got involved in a religious cult where she met her partner. If she was getting that amount of free money, clearly there was some compelling reason that she felt she had to live in a fucking tent in January.

Alberon

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 07, 2024, 05:41:04 PMI think I remember reading that she was basically a nice-but-dim rich girl who had no real purpose in life but had then somehow got involved in a religious cult where she met her partner. If she was getting that amount of free money, clearly there was some compelling reason that she felt she had to live in a fucking tent in January.

Their first four kids were taken off them by social services and apparently while the authorities tried to keep up contact between children and parents the latter would often miss visits arranged.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 07, 2024, 05:41:04 PMI think I remember reading that she was basically a nice-but-dim rich girl who had no real purpose in life but had then somehow got involved in a religious cult where she met her partner. If she was getting that amount of free money, clearly there was some compelling reason that she felt she had to live in a fucking tent in January.

My partner is privvy to the finances of a trust fund kid* who gets £30k/month, but is perpetually broke because half of that goes on rent, flights, and hotels, and the other half gets spunked by giving it to grifters promising innovative ways to double it.

*40-odd year old , but who has never had nor will ever need a job.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Alberon on March 07, 2024, 05:51:22 PMTheir first four kids were taken off them by social services and apparently while the authorities tried to keep up contact between children and parents the latter would often miss visits arranged.

Do we know at what point they started living 'off-grid'? Were they already doing so when the first kids were taken? Given how appalling the living conditions were in previous tragic cases where kids weren't taken off obviously unfit parents, the mind boggles. I originally assumed they were merely junkies but I don't think they are.

Underturd

Quote"Our primary concern was Victoria."

Yeah obviously, that's why you kept her in a tent in fucking January.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Underturd on March 08, 2024, 02:32:30 PMYeah obviously, that's why you kept her in a tent in fucking January.

It's getting worse and worse.

grim
Yesterday they admitted they thought of cremating her but ultimately couldn't go through with it.

Now today they're talking about carrying the body round in a bag when they were out and about. What the fuck is wrong with these two.
[close]

What on earth did they do to the other four kids? I just keep thinking there's gotta be serious drugs involved somewhere, surely.

Psybro

Didn't know what this was on about until the word "tent" and then I was like "Oh yeah, the tent one".

Probably shows how desensitised I've become that it's the fucking tent that jumps out at me.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 08, 2024, 02:48:30 PMWhat on earth did they do to the other four kids? I just keep thinking there's gotta be serious drugs involved somewhere, surely.

Drugs or Mark Gordon being violent.

Alberon

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 08, 2024, 04:53:40 PMDrugs or Mark Gordon being violent.

Probably both. I seem to remember reading that 'domestic violence' was involved in the removal of the first four kids.

Dex Sawash

About evens with the placenta tote bag lasy

I work with the homeless and quite often I'll come across someone from a surprisingly privileged background who has fell into a spiral of decline. Quite often drugs are involved. I find crack cocaine users tend to be the ones who end up making the most shocking and bizarre choices.

Barry Admin

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 09, 2024, 09:30:12 AMI find crack cocaine users tend to be the ones who end up making the most shocking and bizarre choices.

What sort of shit? I'm very curious.

Many who I've worked with walk straight into relationships or situations with abusers, exploiters and predators. At times even the most manipulative addicts can't see that they themselves are being manipulated.

I've noticed a lot are vulnerable whenever they come into money, for instance a guy I worked with got two grand in benefits back pay and blew it in a 24 hour period where they seem to have no recollection whatsoever about what happened.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 07, 2024, 11:26:15 AMThe pair of them come across as quite mentally unwell, what else is there beyond that?
English Rose seduced by a black criminal. Just like Harry and Meaghan!