Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Time for another thread about local 'characters'

Started by George White, March 12, 2024, 10:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Today I was Trapped on a bus with a constantly nodding headphone clad Fred Dibnah/Roy Barraclough alike constantly droning/shouting the song he calls 'Words by RF David' (sic). I couldn't help but burst into laughter.
He also did the same to Golden Brown by the Stranglers, while breaking in the middle to say to himself 'I like the Stranglers', Kyrie by Mr. Mister and Karma Chameleon by Culture Club.

touchingcloth

I've just been to a pub quiz hosted by a local Brit.

There were two questions about Only Fools and Horses, one about Porridge, another about Kavanagh QC. One answer was Jordan, another was Sam Fox ("if anyone has her phone number, it's ten extra points"), and one question asked who in 2012 said that middle class white men are discriminated against on telly.

JesusAndYourBush

OP reminds me I was once on a train and a guy a few seats away kept singing "Starry starry night", just that one line from the song, over and over (with a small pause before singing it again.)

He was drinking some cans and was sloshed.

Ticket inspector came round and on checking his ticket told him he should have got off at (some station we'd already stopped at) and if he didn't get off at the next stop he'd be arrested by the transport police.

He also told him he was sloshed and warned him about being too drunk to remember to get off at the next stop. (Dead Kennedys etc)

Ticket guy then checks my ticket and moves on to the next carriage.

Then I hear the psshht of another can being opened, accompanied by a little chuckle and a "Starry starry night."

But to his credit he did get off at the next stop.

madhair60

i once saw this guy, and get this - learning difficulties!

Beagle 2

It is quite difficult to talk about these without essentially laughing at mental illness. There was a guy who lived near us when we were kids who had wallpapered his house with newspaper (you could see it through the window), was always off making bonfires in fields by himself and who was usually to be found on the bus laughing heartily at nothing. The rumour was that his family had died in a housefire. What a character!

Sebastian Cobb

A couple of months ago I posted:
QuoteWas in the pub last night and a guy introduced himself as being 'quite right wing', proceeded to ask the bar staff which one of us looked more like a serial killer (because apparently the staff had already told him he looked like one), then told me he'd been disbanded by mi6. He then engaged in some weird intellectual snobbery claiming we were the only people in the pub that weren't stupid. A guy who was clearly coked off his nut antagonised him for 30 seconds and he just left.

They've since been barred for essentially fixating/bothering the bar staff (and customers). They had a habit of incessantly chatting/questioning them which left them pinned down one end of the bar looking uncomfortable, not sure if they were actually trying to chat them up or just asking questions/chatting too much, don't suppose it matters if it's making them uncomfortable either way. One time a blind bloke came in and they bombarded them with the sort of questions a precocious child would ask while their parents die from embarrassment. They talked to me a fair bit too because they thought I was an intellectual for some reason and engaged in some grim snobbery. They also had photos of them 'on holiday' which mostly seemed to be pictures of war-torn places. They mentioned they had some conditions like Dyspraxia that the university was helping them with, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were on the spectrum or something, but then what can you do if someone's making a whole pub uneasy?

Incy Wincy Mincey

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 13, 2024, 01:19:28 AMOP reminds me I was once on a train and a guy a few seats away kept singing "Starry starry night", just that one line from the song, over and over (with a small pause before singing it again.)

I used to work with a woman who did exactly the same thing! Although she alternated with "nobody here but us chickens" (again, just this single line.)

buttgammon

Perhaps the most well-known of Dublin characters of recent years is the fake nun, a presumably quite unwell woman who goes around wearing a nun's costume and often a hi-viz tabard with 'ONLY GOD CAN SMITE HIM' or similar printed on it. She has often been seen doing peculiar dances, shouting and speaking in tongues, often in crowded shopping areas; I once saw her shouting into a microphone and pounding the floor. It seems she ended up in Northern Ireland and got in trouble with the police for some kind of homophobic incident.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: madhair60 on March 13, 2024, 10:16:32 AMi once saw this guy, and get this - learning difficulties!

Which difficulties was he learning, mate? Sounds very difficult, anyway.

ros vulgaris

There was a fella in Sunderland who always wore full Victorian clothing about the town, top hat and tails, and was nicknamed The Spectre. He was quite a talented artist, mostly of ships, I knew someone who had one of his paintings on his wall. Died a few years ago.

TommyTurnips

I drive a HGV for my job and sometimes I've seen a cyclist with a large sign on his back riding around South Wales. It's too long to really read while driving but it says something about tyranny, criminal cabal and freemasons.

Turns out he's kind of a thing.

Senior Baiano

Quote from: madhair60 on March 13, 2024, 10:16:32 AMi once saw this guy, and get this - learning difficulties!

Sure that wasn't a mirror fam 😂😂😂

Gambrinus

Quote from: TommyTurnips on March 13, 2024, 01:38:34 PMI drive a HGV for my job and sometimes I've seen a cyclist with a large sign on his back riding around South Wales. It's too long to really read while driving but it says something about tyranny, criminal cabal and freemasons.

Turns out he's kind of a thing.

I see him as well sometimes, usually overtake him on the hill on the way home (I'm in a car so it's not that impressive).