Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: prwc on December 22, 2021, 08:02:01 PMFilms I've seen and loved recently that you may too:
What Happened Was...

What Happened Was (1994) - Tom Noonan's adaptation of his own stage play (and boy, can you tell it was originally written for the theatre) as Noonan's Michael visits co-worker Jackie (Karen Sillas) and they have dinner and talk for 90 minutes. There were aspects of this I really loved (
Spoiler alert
Jackie's book, Michael's confession
[close]
) but the first hour relied a little on the comedy of discomfort for my liking, there was a little much cringe, so while I liked aspects I didn't fall in love with it in the way some have. 7.0/10

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: George White on November 24, 2018, 02:14:15 PM7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964) - Despite the initial "velly solly" yellowfaced appearance of Tony Randall, this is just a feint (he's a stage "Chinese magician", the accent is revealed to be phony and he's not human either), but worth it for the utter strangeness of a film. A close cousin to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, though thevery TV western setting is a bit wearing, but it's a showcase for Randall who plays characters of every gender, species, nationality...

This is such an odd film, like you say it's pretty much a showcase for Randall and he is really great in it, but the movie largely wants to just spend time with the character more than anything else. The is a vague plot involving a twatty bloke trying to buy up as much property as he can as he alone knows they'll soon build a railroad in the area, and the local newspaper editor is flirting with a widow, but they're forgotten about for large chunks of the running time. Despite that I did enjoy it as it's so daft, yet the most my brain allows me to rate it is 6.8/10

lauraxsynthesis

My 11 year old nephew has started studying/taking an interest in the second world war. I've suggested my sister show him Billy Wilder's Stalag 17 which I've loved since seeing it age 12. Wilder such a fucking genius and William Holden's Oscar is well deserved as the anti-hero
Spoiler alert
who comes good in the end
[close]
. The full range of emotions in this one.

phantom_power

Network (1976) - It's reputation as a fucking amazing film is pretty well-known but I only watched this for the first time the other week and it doesn't disappoint. A stellar cast at the top of their game support a great plot that is as relevant now as it was at the time, if not more so. I imagine most people know what it is about but for any who don't a disgruntled news anchor proclaims he will kill himself live on air the following week and gives the station a massive ratings boost, but that is only part of the story. It is as much about the people running the show and their interpersonal relationships as it is the professional debates around the morality of keeping him on the air

A rare film that is as good as everyone says it is

madhair60

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on October 19, 2023, 10:17:03 AMNetwork (1976) - It's reputation as a fucking amazing film is pretty well-known but I only watched this for the first time the other week and it doesn't disappoint. A stellar cast at the top of their game support a great plot that is as relevant now as it was at the time, if not more so. I imagine most people know what it is about but for any who don't a disgruntled news anchor proclaims he will kill himself live on air the following week and gives the station a massive ratings boost, but that is only part of the story. It is as much about the people running the show and their interpersonal relationships as it is the professional debates around the morality of keeping him on the air

A rare film that is as good as everyone says it is

I love this film. And as well as being great in itself I think it made me realise both Faye Dunaway and Sydney Lumet were people who I needed to investigate further, and I haven't really been disappointed with either of them.