Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

9/11: Ten Year Anniversary

Started by confettiinmyhair, August 29, 2011, 10:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Conspiracy Files: 9/11 - Ten Years On was shown on BBC 2 today, with more programmes to be broadcast building up to the Ten Year Anniversary of 9/11.

Will Sepember 11th 2011 be a significant day for you?

BlodwynPig

Ten years since I last went camping.

Lee Van Cleef

Ten years since that episode of Diagnosis Murder was postponed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

9/11 makes me think of The Armando Iannucci Shows, so I guess you could say it's always been an event full of happy memories for me.

Small Man Big Horse

I joined CaB about a week before, and made a right twat of myself on the day itself, so I shall spend the day wincing at those memories. I also might go shopping.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 29, 2011, 10:24:12 PM
9/11 makes me think of The Armando Iannucci Shows, so I guess you could say it's always been an event full of happy memories for me.

Tomorrow that show will be 10 years old. I might watch 'Twats' in celebration.

biggytitbo

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 29, 2011, 10:14:11 PM
The Conspiracy Files: 9/11 - Ten Years On was shown on BBC 2 today
Why do they bother? As if the BBC are ever going to come out with a programme saying 9/11 was an inside job. Since there is 0 chance of the BBC ever declaring any of these things to be conspiracy there's 0 point in the programmes.

How many people claiming to be the messiah did they interview this time?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 29, 2011, 10:24:23 PM
I joined CaB about a week before, and made a right twat of myself on the day itself, so I shall spend the day wincing at those memories. I also might go shopping.

How did you make yourself a twat?

Consignia

All I know is it involves inverting the scrotum. Don't ask me to perform it though, I'm not licensed to.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 29, 2011, 10:36:43 PM
How did you make yourself a twat?

Ah, it's all a long story, but here's the short version - and for the record I'm still horribly embarrassed by all of this, and was young and fucking stupid at the time. But basically back then I ran a website which had a supposedly humourous The Onion-esque page, and was trying to drum up hits to the site. I woke up around mid-day on 9/11, heard the news, and followed it on tv for a while. Before stupidly, stupidly thinking, ah, I could exploit this. Rather than, you know, that it was a horrific fucking tragedy with repercussions that would no doubt all be rather harrowing. Like a normal person. Anyhow, I came up with a dumb story about Oliver Stone accidentally being to blame for it, and then linked it to here. And understandably, everyone thought I was a twat, largely because I was one (though alas I didn't realise it at the time).

I'd posted links on a lot of other sites too that day, and the amount of traffic received crashed the site for 24 hours, but I still received a hell of a lot of death threats during that time. Which is fair enough really.

BlodwynPig

And you have the cheek to have Godzilla (I presume) as your Avatar...will you ever learn!

Small Man Big Horse

He's the good Godzilla, the one who hangs out with Godzooky and solves crime.

Cerys

Nothing that hangs out with Godzooky can be considered good.  Unless they're only hanging out with him so they can kill him.  In the face.

biggytitbo

Godzooky, Scrappy Doo with scales. Bastard.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm booked to make a platelet donation, so that date will forevermore be linked with bloodshed for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Cerys on August 29, 2011, 11:16:43 PM
Nothing that hangs out with Godzooky can be considered good.  Unless they're only hanging out with him so they can kill him.  In the face.

QuoteGodzooky, Scrappy Doo with scales. Bastard.

That's my son you're talking about, you callous bastards!

In other news: I just spotted this on wiki:

QuoteAlso along for the ride is Godzooky, the son of Godzilla and Pete's best friend who has a lighthearted role in the show.

I'm guessing Pete's best friend must have had an enormous vagina.

The Tourist

Ten years since my first (and only) fight. I feel old.

Fry

Ten years since I was in junior school, wow.

NaCl

candle vigil, remembrance hour, freedom songs by the freedom fire

gmoney

It'll be ten years since I last watched CNN and MSNBC

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 29, 2011, 10:14:11 PM
The Conspiracy Files: 9/11 - Ten Years On was shown on BBC 2 today, with more programmes to be broadcast building up to the Ten Year Anniversary of 9/11.

Will Sepember 11th 2011 be a significant day for you?
I might watch that one. The first one has one of my favourite bits of TV of this sort in it[nb]sorry for repeating this anecdote, people who read my posts[/nb], when they interview one of the "Loose Change" guys about some aerospace evidence provided by "Popular Mechanics" magazine. He said "maybe they should keep talking about farm equipment and shut up about stuff they know nothing about", which coming from a man who had absolutely no experience of things plane-related was a bit of irony which seemed entirely lost on him (although not on the documentary makers, mercifully).

I share a house with an American, who even though they're a peace campaigner, non-patriot and all that, felt obliged to put a peace frog emblazoned with the US flag in their car window after 9/11. Although I was in America over 9/11 a few years ago and nothing much happened, I guess it will be a bit different this time.

CaledonianGonzo

I'll celebrate the anniversary by laughing myself into a conniption any time someone from either here or the US mentions how much America loves 'freedom'.

Santa's Boyfriend

I've seen a few of these 9/11 conspiracy programmes, and whilst there are undoubtedly some odd things that went on, I find it hard to believe most if not any of the conclusions made.  However there are a few things about them that really do annoy me:

First of all, 9/11 WAS a conspiracy.  I'm sorry, but there's no way around that.  The only issue is who did the conspiring - and it was almost certainly Bin Laden and his merry bad.  Conspiracy does not mean fantasy, neither does it mean something done by a black ops team.  In fact, in order for 9/11 to NOT be a conspiracy, it would have to have been some kind of open government policy or something.  This may be a technicality on words to some people but it still annoys me, as the word "conspiracy" is an important word and its correct meaning is in danger of being lost.

Secondly, it annoys me how these programmes tend to look at issues of genuine concern on 9/11 without ever adequately explaining them (such as who bet against the two airlines on the stock market, or the issues around the war games being played that day contributing to the slow response), before then going on to talk about the planes being holograms or people being controlled by alien lizards.  The programmes are there to ridicule without actually bothering to look at the evidence of the more serious accusations and see if it stands up.  Meanwhile pro-conspiracy documentaries are equally guilty, making generous assumptions and not testing the evidence to destruction.

There was one documentary I saw, I think it was Scandinavian, where they actually did look at it seriously, and successfully disproved every point made in that famous pro-conspiracy documentary, by demonstrating many of the things it said were impossible, and also showing the footage of the collapse to a demolition expert.  Interestingly the only thing there they couldn't disprove was the collapse of WTC 9 (or whatever the number), which the expert said did look like a genuine controlled demolition and could not explain it any other way.

Michael Ruppert's Truth and Lies of 9/11 is an interesting piece too, and most likely he's got a lot of stuff right, but many things I think also have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

BlodwynPig

Wasn't it all just model mock-up on New york city, filmed to give the impression of scale (like blade runner). The real twin towers are still standing. I can't disprove this as I ever never visited the city.

small_world

10 years since my first, and only 'real', date.
I'd met a girl in a rock club, and we'd arranged to meet on the night time.  We did. And we sat there, on what could be the most eventful (in a breaking news sense) day of our lives, and didn't have a word to say to each other.
A few weeks later I met the girl in still with today.

Famous Mortimer

There was that bit in the original doc where the professor and his classworked out, from blueprints and science and that, how the plane caused the exact hole it did in the Pentagon...and then got death threats from the pro-inside job people. I really ought to watch the new version too.

And I know I say this every time this comes up, but I do wish the people who've spent so many years of their lives trying to prove that the official line is a lie would have spent those years doing something useful - investigative journalism on the many, many provably bad things done in the name of the US government all round the world, for one. All that's really come of this is lots of people know more about the composition of buildings than they did a decade ago.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Last time I had armageddon sex :(

biggytitbo

I'm surprised (ok I'm not) as to how otherwise intelligent people have allowed themselves yet again to be sidetracked by the blatantly (often deliberately) silly conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11, or any event. Yet again they fall into the same trap of grouping everyone who raises issues about said event with the most lunatic fringe of those espousing hologram planes or fake passengers or whatever it is this week.

Whilst the basic events of the day certainly happened as set out in the official narrative, ie 19 hijackers, passenger planes crashing into builders etc, the events leading up to that day most certainly did not happen as the official narrative wants us to believe. But any sensible exploration of the shady and often outright criminal political and intelligence events that lead to that day is now rendered impossible not just by those espousing the silly theories but by those deliberately unwilling or incapable of filtering the wheat from the chaff, the silly from the serious (ie David Aaronivitch or anyone affiliated with James 'False Memory' Randi)[/size]

QuoteAnd I know I say this every time this comes up, but I do wish the people who've spent so many years of their lives trying to prove that the official line is a lie would have spent those years doing something useful - investigative journalism on the many, many provably bad things done in the name of the US government all round the world, for one. All that's really come of this is lots of people know more about the composition of buildings than they did a decade ago.

A few months after 9/11 I remember watching a programme questioning some of the theories the "Loose Change" et al mob had. The V.O. said that Mayor Rudi had, against safety advice, had installed an oil heating system.

This could explain why the buildings burnt the way they did and collapsed. Never heard this piece of info again.

Silliest piece of "evidence" used to back up theory, from Alex Jones...

The pilot episode of Lone Gun Men (X-files spin off) is about a plot to hijack a plane via remote control and crash it, it wasn't shown on TV... Jones seems to forget that a lot of pilots don't get shown.

Endicott

Quote from: Lollypopthecat on August 30, 2011, 10:54:18 AM
This could explain why the buildings burnt the way they did and collapsed. Never heard this piece of info again.

I thought that had been adequately explained by the buildings having a planeload of aviation fuel dumped inside them. The heating system probably wouldn't contain enough fuel to account for that amount of fire, concentrated on those floors. Hence the reason why you never heard it again is that it's not important.