Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuart Hall discusses the rise of neoliberalism

Started by Johnny Yesno, September 14, 2011, 04:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

biggytitbo

CaledonianGonzo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What I've heard from Osbourne and Clegg recently isn't anything new.

What we'll end up with is a socially divided society trained to hate anyone without a job or on the poverty line. We already do have it, but in order to accept the level of poverty we will be forced to witness, we will need to be convinced those people did it to themselves and won't accept any help.

However, in a country with our population density, it will be quite difficult to hide some of the problems resulting from the policies going forward, so I wonder whether it will have the same effect as in America, where the rich live in their own gated communities and the poor are left to fuck themselves on the wrong side of the tracks. There aren't many cities over there like London where you have such a compression of different qualities of life in such a small area, nor with a mass transit system fast enough to ship those people from one place to the next very quickly.

Over all that, this current agenda is a huge waste of time- why bring policies in that are inevitably going to require the old policies to come back to sweep up the mess?

kngen

The housing benefit cuts to force those on the dole out of des reses in regenerated areas into satellite towns suggest the tory plan is almost an inverse of the American model - underclass out in the overspills; rich folk in the inner cities. I wonder if that means our 'urban' music will be Coldplay and Snow Patrol