Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:42:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unsalted

Started by small_world, September 17, 2011, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

I've managed to get almost to the ripe age of 30, without ever having a job with a salary.
I've worked since the age 1of 16, with a spell of unemployment, but always on a wage.
I've now just been given a promotion, and it's to a salaried position. And I'm just wondering what the main differences are.

It's 40hrs a week, but I will be covering for staff from time to time (especially over the next few weeks as we're a bit short) and the positions I'll be covering will be in my old role. So, if I pull an 8hr shift, will I be paid for it, or is it just extra work for nowt, as that's all part of being a grown up?

Also, I'm very excited and have just bought a filofax. A proper good one, leather bound and with loads of innards. I'm normally really un-organised so I'm hoping it'll kick me into being a bit more sorted.

Zero Gravitas

Consignia

It should be in your contract if you are allowed overtime or not. You probably won't have any. It's something to discuss with your employer, anyway.

small_world

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on September 17, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
A filofax?

A Filofax. A personal organiser.
My old boss had one, and I'd stare longingly at it during meetings. She'd always whip it out and, 'check the diary'. Then make a 'to-do' note.
I've also labelled it with reference finder tabs, so it looks like Tony Blair's PMQ's note book.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on September 17, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
A filofax?

Quote from: small_world on September 17, 2011, 02:50:21 PM
A Filofax. A personal organiser.

I think he's incredulous that you're living like it's the 80's

-small world yesterday

small_world

Eh? What?
A filofax. It's fucking, everything you'd need.

When you whip out a hefty bit of leather bound equipment; which once was probably a substantially sized forest, and still resembles a forest in terms of mass, it's a pretty impressive thing.

You can use a phone if you'd like. But it's far easier and easily more impressive to refer to 'written notes' and shit.

Zero Gravitas

Makes sense if it's more important to impress than be effective I suppose.

AsparagusTrevor

I've got a A5 notepad with pictures of sharks on the cover. And a pen shaped like an arrow. I'm 28.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How are you going to do work on a mobile telephone?

Pisstaking aside, well done on the promotion.

Why not celebrate with a coke party and a trip on Concorde?

Jamie Oliver is fat

Filofax's! The A-Team! who remembers the A-Team? Garlic bread!?!

I bet he shops for vynil records too.

small_world

I don't actually buy vynil. (wow, that IS a weird word to spell)

Although I do drive one of these...

mook

^ that's a big car - are you going to use the hefty filofax as a booster seat to see over the wheel?

why is this thread called "unsalted" anyway?

Lyndon

The word salary comes from salt because it used to be so valuable that troops in WW1 were paid in salt rather than money.