Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:46:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
And then there's EDA 8th Dr which is ... who knows, changed every month.

(except when he had amnesia, christ, that was a slog of an arc)

purlieu

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 29, 2019, 11:31:50 AM
And then there's EDA 8th Dr which is ... who knows, changed every month.

(except when he had amnesia, christ, that was a slog of an arc)
Oh good, I'm really looking forward to these.

samadriel

As I recall, there are plenty of good EDAs, no need to lose hope. I'm curious what you'll make of Lawrence Miles. Although I'm suddenly reminded of The Ancestor Cell, god that was shit.

The best ones are very good. The poor ones are very poor. The line, as a whole, suffers from a complete lack of guidance and continuity.

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 30, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
The best ones are very good. The poor ones are very poor.

Is it true they are part of the "little curl" extended universe?

Norton Canes

Yes! Found my Genesis Of The Daleks CD1 that had been missing for a couple of years. It was in with The Brain Of Morbius, which I picked out for some Halloween viewing last night. I think the scene in episode 2 where Davros introduces the prototype Dalek to the scientific elite is my favourite scene in the whole of Doctor Who.

purlieu

Genesis sometimes gets criticism, probably largely as a backlash against its popularity, but nah, it's fucking brilliant.

QuotePast, present and future collide as the Thirteenth Doctor meets classic Doctor Who companion Ace – in the first epic novel from the woman who played her, Sophie Aldred.

Once, a girl called Ace travelled the universe with the Doctor – until, in the wake of a terrible tragedy they parted company. Decades later, she is known as Dorothy McShane, the reclusive millionaire philanthropist who heads global organisation A Charitable Earth.

And Dorothy is haunted by terrible nightmares, vivid dreams that begin just as scores of young runaways are vanishing from the dark alleyways of London. Could the disappearances be linked to sightings of sinister creatures lurking in the city shadows? Why has an alien satellite entered a secret orbit around the Moon?

Investigating the satellite with Ryan, Graham and Yaz, the Doctor is thrown together with Ace once more. Together they must unravel a malevolent plot that will cost thousands of lives. But can the Doctor atone for her past incarnation's behaviour – and how much must Ace sacrifice to win victory not only for herself, but for the Earth?

Cover looks a lot like a crime novel.

Malcy

Norton Canes

Imagine though getting the green light to write a powerful and compelling novel about your character and their complex relation to the Doctor - then realising you're contractually obliged to include Ryan, Graham and Yaz.

purlieu

Just realised that's probably more New Who Thread-appropriate, but as someone who enjoyed season 11, I can't be arsed wading through page after page of hatred so I'm just sticking to this thread.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on November 01, 2019, 06:19:02 PM
Just realised that's probably more New Who Thread-appropriate, but as someone who enjoyed season 11, I can't be arsed wading through page after page of hatred so I'm just sticking to this thread.

I can fix all of this by kindly informing you that series 11 was shite.  You are now cured!  (And welcome.)

purlieu

It was better than you, mate.

weekender

as someone who enjoyed season 11

Ordinarily I would try and offer you some help on a personal level - do more exercise, eat more fruit, that sort of thing.

But if you enjoyed Season 11 you're fucked, can't help you.

Malcy

Yeah it's like reading the same page over and over and over...

I wonder how this will fit in with Ace's other book and Big Finish appearances. It's a shame we never got the SJA story with her.

purlieu

The weird thing is, away from this board, I've barely read a bad word about series 11. So my theory is you're a bunch of cynical old bastards.

I'm obviously mid-way through Ace's tenure in the NAs, although I'm pretty sure that the way she exits won't tie up at all with the Dorothy McShane who's mentioned in SJA, and that's clearly the version who we've got in this book here, so that'll be an odd one to try and navigate once I get there. Which will be in about 17 years if I end up with more books like the current workmanlike Bulis bollocks I'm trudging through at the minute.

Ambient Sheep

You should try Digital Spy, they make us look like amateurs... started to read their S11 thread a while back and it was a vile pit of sexism, misogyny and "PC gone mad"-ness.

Deanjam

Quote from: purlieu on November 01, 2019, 10:57:02 PM
The weird thing is, away from this board, I've barely read a bad word about series 11. So my theory is you're a bunch of cynical old bastards.

Away from this board I've barely heard anyone say anything about it. I think more people have found it boring than outright bad.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on November 01, 2019, 11:25:34 PM
Away from this board I've barely heard anyone say anything about it. I think more people have found it boring than outright bad.

This.  And as obsessives we have maybe felt duty-bound to respond to it honestly rather than outright ignore its existence.  It says a lot that our series 11 discussion has been so short, when previous Doctor Who threads have run for ages.

purlieu

I obviously know better people than you all then.

Anyway let's shut up about that, this isn't the thread. Instead, it's time to mention that, just over 80 pages into Shadowmind, and Ace is nude again. Sigh.

daf

Quote from: purlieu on November 02, 2019, 02:07:54 PM
Ace is nude again.

Wahey!!

I mean . .  tut-tut, how terrible!

(wahey!!)

purlieu

Shadowmind aka Bulis.exe is given a trial run.

To give him credit, Christopher Bulis's First and Sixth Doctor books are quite fun, if unremarkable. Everything else of his has been pap though, and this, his first novel, seems to set that tone. It starts with an interesting premise, in an Invasion of the Body Snatchers manner, and has an at least slightly memorable villain revealed near the end, but the rest is typically filler. In the form of a journey. Not a metaphorical one. Just Bulis's favourite 'quest' storyline, where the characters spend days travelling from one place to another. One-dimensional characters. No plot. No humour. None of the main cast resemble themselves.

I think that's Benny on the front. It's hard to tell, though, because two books ago she had dreadlocks. I'm not sure anyone's really decided who she is yet, although I'm enjoying her drier wit in contrast to New Ace's constant "I'm a troubled soldier" routine.

edit: just remembered the amount of spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in this. I swear the series is getting worse for them as it goes on.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI think that's Benny on the front. It's hard to tell, though, because two books ago she had dreadlocks. I'm not sure anyone's really decided who she is yet, although I'm enjoying her drier wit in contrast to New Ace's constant "I'm a troubled soldier" routine.

Wasn't that Kadiatu with the dreads? I think Benny always had that longish bowl-cut. Also never forget that New Ace is a troubled yet amazingly sexy soldier. Just brace yourself for Cornell drooling over her 'muscular voluptuousness' in New Adventure 50.

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 08, 2019, 04:13:15 AM
Wasn't that Kadiatu with the dreads? I think Benny always had that longish bowl-cut. Also never forget that New Ace is a troubled yet amazingly sexy soldier. Just brace yourself for Cornell drooling over her 'muscular voluptuousness' in New Adventure 50.

The Transit cover depicts Kadiatu.

purlieu

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 08, 2019, 04:13:15 AM
Wasn't that Kadiatu with the dreads?
No - I mean, yes, Kadiatu has dreads - but in Lucifer Rising Benny is described as having short dreads, and is even illustrated so:

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 01, 2019, 03:11:47 PM
Imagine though getting the green light to write a powerful and compelling novel about your character and their complex relation to the Doctor - then realising you're contractually obliged to include Ryan, Graham and Yaz.

DOCTOR: Mates, this is my old mate, Ace. All my mates, all together. Mates.

YAZ: ...

GRAHAM: 'Ere, Doc, she's a woman like some of those other women we saw.

*ACE RIPS OFF ALL OF HER CLOTHES AND STANDS THERE, SENSUALLY GLISTENING*

RYAN: My trousers are haunted.

daf

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 08, 2019, 02:32:35 PM
RYAN: My trousers are haunted.

DOCTOR : I had a pair of haunted trousers once - BRILLIANT they were - I borrowed them off President Lincoln when I dropped choc-ice on mine at the opening of the Rocky Horror Show back in '75.

Great laugh he was - though he would insist on doing 'The Timewarp' again and again. . . I kept telling him, 'Abe, nobody wants to see your Frank-N-Furter - now put it away!' . . . or was that Timmy Mallet? Now I think about it, it could've been . . . I'm always getting those two mixed up!

purlieu

purlieu

Birthright

Given that the last two books took over a week each for me to trudge through, I almost didn't pick this up, thinking I might be due a break as I obviously wasn't enjoying the books much at the minute. What a difference a writer makes. This is a snappy little book, easily readable with a page-turning mystery. Benny and Ace are stranded 14,000 years apart from each other on Earth, with insect-like aliens travelling from one era to the other. The Doctor is pretty much absent (he's off having an adventure in the next book), other than occasional 'chess-playing' manipulation to push Benny and Ace towards sorting out the problem. We also get to see a far-future incarnation of The Doctor, I believe. Really fun book, enjoyed that a lot, and the first I've read in less than a day for ages. Good stuff.

edit: no nude Ace this time, but a policeman does enjoy peeking at her firm thighs and pert bosom.

purlieu

Iceberg by David Banks

It's strange to think that David Banks played the Cyber Leader in the '80s, and his only books are a history of the Cyberman and this novel about them. Because this is probably the best written Who book I've read so far. It truly felt like the work of an experienced novelist, written with flair and wit, full of interesting allusions and symmetries. Really impressive. The plot is relatively straight-forward - another Cyberman invasion of Earth - but the characters are all brilliantly conceived and the prose is excellent. It ties into previous Cybermen stories in a satisfying way. Some creepy scenes and lots of body horror definitely tie it in with what made the Cybermen great in the first place. Top stuff.

And now onto the Alternate Histories cycle for a while.