Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Video game locations where you'd maybe want to live...

Started by The Culture Bunker, February 12, 2024, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

I just finished Lake on PS5, and it's a lovely, gentle game - you play a woman who has working hard in the big city on some computer software, back in 1986 or so, who returns to her small hometown in Oregon for two weeks to cover her dad's post round. This involves a fair bit of driving around a lake talking to the various residents, reconnecting with your past and so on. Both times I've played it, I've enjoyed the slow pace and the general vibe of Providence Oaks. I'm from a small town in the back end of nowhere, hence the appeal.

Sort of the same in Life is Strange: True Colours, excepting it's in Colorado and there's the whole sinister mining company creating a dark underside to matters. But still - for parts of it, when you can wander round, I did think "wow, I could spend my life there" - nice pub, record store, slow pace of life.

Any others? Minus points if you were going to post "Raccoon City" or suchlike.

C_Larence

Frontier Village Dali from Final Fantasy 9, especially if the OST is diegetic. It just seems like it would be easy to live a simple and cosy life there, living off the fatta the land

A similarly music, and village, themed one. Village Bridge from Pokémon Black/White. A small town full of musicians. I just think it would be nice to go for a stroll and listen to them. Haven't really thought about my QOL much tbh

The Culture Bunker

I thought a Final Fantasy town would get a mention!

My Time at Portia had a certain charm too, though the idea of me being a farmer/builder/carpenter is a bit laughable to say the least - I'd be dead in a week. Still, poor Ginger... <sniffs>

Famous Mortimer

Silent Hill, after the fog and weird monsters have left or been dispatched or whatever. Nice lake, hotel, good variety of stores.

dex

Ah, to be in the sleeze of Lost Wages with Leisure Suit Larry.

dontpaintyourteeth

Besaid from Final Fantasy X looks nice, lil slice of tropical island life innit?

Jim_MacLaine

Always thought I wouldn't mind having 1943's Wake Island to meself.

fortune palace

I dunno about living there, but Karnaca from Dishonored 2 would make a good minibreak destination. sun, sea, endemic corruption, weird malaria-bees everywhere

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 12, 2024, 06:50:54 PMBesaid from Final Fantasy X looks nice, lil slice of tropical island life innit?
Maybe better in X-2, after the whole "giant monster in the sea" threat is dealt with?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 12, 2024, 08:39:01 PMMaybe better in X-2, after the whole "giant monster in the sea" threat is dealt with?

good point well made

Poobum

A nice house by the Bitter Coast in Seyda Neen sounds nice. Catch some crabs, bully Fargoth, kill the tax collector, the good life. Would have to have a day trip to Vivec though, heard them Ordinators love chatting to tourists.

BJBMK2

Inside the ambient swirly world of the PS1 demo disc menus you'd get with the UK Playstation magazine.

binster

This particular screen in the original Monkey Island.

I find the higgledy piggledy buildings and the lit up windows to be massively evocative and alluring.

popcorn

I've always liked the look of the high-rise city buildings in the backgrounds of 16-bit games.

Expensive real estate I imagine.

The Guppy

I really enjoyed Lake, it seemed like a fine place to unwind. I kept the local radio on all the time even though they had half a dozen songs. "You got me tiptoeing around you like you're made of glass/got an invisible fence letting everyone know not to trespass".

But I picked the "let's get the fuck out of here" ending.

I'd like to live in the Katamari universe. Everybody seems happy pottering around on a loop, but they're destined to become part of something bigger.

Poobum

I changed my mind. Eruyt village from FF12, just something about it appeals.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: The Guppy on February 13, 2024, 12:28:07 PMI really enjoyed Lake, it seemed like a fine place to unwind. I kept the local radio on all the time even though they had half a dozen songs. "You got me tiptoeing around you like you're made of glass/got an invisible fence letting everyone know not to trespass".

But I picked the "let's get the fuck out of here" ending.
Ah, but which one? Take off in the RV (first time, I did that with the video store lady) or back to the city to make your fortune? The latter seems the most 'realistic' somehow.

The Guppy

Let's get the fuck out of here... together in this free RV.

Famous Mortimer

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 13, 2024, 05:14:01 PMSapienza looks lovely.

Good shout.

I probably wouldn't mind a few RDR2 locales, if it weren't for people like me going around causing a ruckus.

Thursday

"England" from Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Maybe a millennium or so after it's set.

horse_renoir

The pilotwings island. I loved flapping around in the birdman suit as the sun set.

thenoise

The beautiful fantasy/medieval world of Simon the Sorcerer. I never completed it, but would wander around for hours barely progressing and enjoying the relaxing scenery and music.

Also Plunder Island from Curse of Monkey Island. Lots of lovely locations in the series but this one is my favourite.

thenoise

I really wanted to build my own house when I was a child - not just design it but actually make it too - and I wanted it to look exactly like the house in Alone in the Dark (1993).

Instead of actually trying to complete the game I wandered about and attempted to sketch the layout and rooms etc on graph paper. Even the furniture, which I intended to buy or make or somehow recreate closely as I can. Was particularly fond of the dining room with its weird fabric walls.

I didn't find the house particularly scary, I don't think I had any desire to build a haunted house or fill it with cutout zombies or anything silly. I just thought it was a really nice house.