Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost Book

Started by timebug, December 23, 2022, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timebug

I came across an old work bag of My son Marcs the other day. Marc (Or Serge as you all knew him) had kept copies of a series of letters to his best mate Gary when they were both young men. Gary had moved to London and Marc was still here in Derby.This ring binder was in the bag that I discovered.It was a time trip reading trough te letters. All his hopes and ambitions were there, written out to Gary as hopeful plans for the future. Of course Marc did move to London and spent over twenty years there in the end. The 'book'is full of Pythonesque/Goons type humour and lots of small doodles; I tend to forget that because he wrote well, he was also a gifted cartoonist! Something I always envied as I can't draw for monkey nuts! So an unexpected and poignant gift for Christmas!

holyzombiejesus

That's ace. What a lovely thing to find.

Small Man Big Horse

That does sound lovely indeed, and while like you I knew what a great writer he was, I had no idea of Marc's art skills, he kept that very quiet!

All Surrogate

Equally heart-breaking and heart-warming. Best wishes to you, timebug.

Glebe

That's lovely Timebug. Hope you had a nice Christmas and have a very Happy New Year.

timebug

Thanks for the comments one and all. I had a great Christmas; as a non christian I just lounge around,eat and watch telly. Which,as it is usually crap, I use my streaming box (which has a wooden leg and an eyepatch!) to watch anything I fancy.And read a lot. Always loved my books.While my energetic pals were kicking a footie around, I was generally getting to grips with some decent reads!
New Year will just be another day to me,except a lot of the shops will be shut!
And yes, Marc was a gifted artist. He drew mostly cartoons and caricatures, but I  have a few drawings of his that were serious 'artwork'especially to a non-drawist like myself!

timebug

...And just to round off this thread,today December 29th would have been Marcs fifty second birthday.Isn't life a bastard sometimes?

Small Man Big Horse

It is, sadly. Hope you're okay on this shit of a day though, or do the best you can in such circumstances.

Ray Travez

Quote from: timebug on December 29, 2022, 08:49:16 AMIsn't life a bastard sometimes?

Yeh. At times it's a real fucker.

Think of Marc often. The other day I dipped into Copey's autobiography; I know Marc was a big fan. I think he once posted photos of when Cope came into the shop in London.

Hope you have a good new year and a fine old 2023

timebug

Thanks for the thought;when you get to my age everything is same old same old,sadly!

Glebe

Quote from: timebug on December 31, 2022, 08:42:52 AMThanks for the thought;when you get to my age everything is same old same old,sadly!

Wishing you a 2023 of nice new surprises TB!

Famous Mortimer

I saw the day pop up on my Facebook feed, and thought of you. Like Glebe said, hope 2023 is full of good things for you.

timebug

I learned this week,via an email from Gary,that Marc had not saved these letters; in fact it was Gary who saved Marcs letters to him,and he copied them and gave the book to Marc! When Gary next visits Derby, he has a second volume of letters copied which he has promised me a copy of.S there is that to look forward to!

Glebe

Lovely to hear Timebug!