Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super-Infinite

Started by Keebleman, January 15, 2023, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Katherine Rundell's book on John Donne gets everything right.  It intertwines the work with the life seamlessly, each commenting on the other; the historical context is vivid and enthralling; it is witty and concise, and the author's enthusiasm for the subject infuses every sentence.

This interview with her is wonderful.  In part this is because Tyler Cowen is the best interviewer in the world (haven't seen them all, mind you) but also Rundell engages fully, is always interesting not just in what she says but how she says it - a theme of the talk - and even asks Tyler questions of her own.  Plus she has a gorgeous laugh.

I found the interview especially useful as prior to listening I didn't know Donne was pronounced 'dun'.

Twit 2

Her children's books are excellent, too. "The Explorer", about some children who crash land in the Amazon jungle and have to survive, has intelligence, heart and soul. A page turner that contains so much wisdom and empathy. Any child who reads that or gets it read to them has been done a great service.